jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 01-24-2017
Banned

Default Silverstone SX800-LTI SFX-L unit's on

The semi-fanless SFX-L 800W SX800-LTI announced on Computex appears to have been silently launched. Well either that, or I am stupid. But I think this time it's the marketing department's weaker performance. I've just noticed the unit available in sample stock, it's on the website already http://silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=731&area=en and nobody told me anything

So who's got it already?

Last edited by Behemot; 01-25-2017 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-25-2017
500W User

Yeah, it seemed to have launched without much fanfare. I got a review unit shortly before Christmas, then the press release went out Jan 9th or so, and it showed up on Newegg by the 11th.

But I've barely seen anyone talking about it.
Old 01-25-2017
Banned

Is it just Strider Titanium made smaller? Good efficiency, but meh on everything else?
Old 01-25-2017
Danke schön

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemot View Post
Is it just Strider Titanium made smaller? Good efficiency, but meh on everything else?
Different platform, Silverstone is the first out the gate so we don't know what performance is like yet.

If the performance is as good as their last batch of Enhance offerings then it's pretty decent. I still don't know how or why you would need 800w in an SFX housing but people would probably buy it for their mITX Kaby Lake & Titan builds.
Old 01-25-2017
Banned

And semi-fanless operation+larger fan in the SFX-L housing, I guess.
Old 01-25-2017
500W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
Different platform, Silverstone is the first out the gate so we don't know what performance is like yet.
The Lian Li PE-750 is based on the same platform.

Quote:
I still don't know how or why you would need 800w in an SFX housing but people would probably buy it for their mITX Kaby Lake & Titan builds.
I believe Corsair is seeing many people buying the SF600 for their non-SFF builds because the short depth makes cable management easier in some cases, so I could see the same type of interest for those with higher power requirements.

Also those attempting to keep the PSU quiet by getting one that's total overkill for their SFF build.

Also there's the crazies trying to do a really small SLI/XFire mATX build

And I've seen a few people get it "just cuz" since since it's the highest wattage SFX/SFX-L unit available.
Old 01-25-2017
Danke schön

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aibohphobia View Post
The Lian Li PE-750 is based on the same platform.
Has the Lian-Li unit actually become available for purchase, I haven't seen it yet.

Either way, it doesn't have a review yet either to my knowledge. So we still don't know what to expect.

Also, while I do understand the (somewhat) niche appeal of a larger SFX unit. I still don't really see the need for it considering the depth difference is only 10mm between this unit and the Strider Platinum 850w. Performance would be the biggest deciding factor on if one is worth more than the other, but there is definitely a price difference there as well.
Old 01-25-2017
500W User

Quote:
Has the Lian-Li unit actually become available for purchase, I haven't seen it yet.

Either way, it doesn't have a review yet either to my knowledge. So we still don't know what to expect.
The PE-750 has been available since around August or September I think, though I actually bought mine in May. Apparently they hadn't finished certification or something, but Newegg was selling them for a brief period and I snagged one.

Aris reviewed it in late September: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...pply,4727.html

Quote:
Also, while I do understand the (somewhat) niche appeal of a larger SFX unit. I still don't really see the need for it considering the depth difference is only 10mm between this unit and the Strider Platinum 850w. Performance would be the biggest deciding factor on if one is worth more than the other, but there is definitely a price difference there as well.
It's also narrower and shorter in height, which doesn't matter for an ATX case perhaps, but it can make all the difference in SFF cases like the NCASE M1, DAN A4-SFX, many of the slim console-style cases, etc.
Old 03-27-2017
500W User

PCPer has reviewed this: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-...Supply-Review/