jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > CPU Discussion

CPU Discussion Discuss processors here: Past, present and future! No AMD v. Intel flames, please.

Old 03-14-2017
ssssssmokin'

Thanked 1,303 Times in 852 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by minus0 View Post
@Orion there are some youtube tech channels that i dont trust.
There are useful YouTube channels about PC hardware reviews?
Old 03-14-2017
Zero point energy user

Yeah, mostly about custom loop water cooling parts
Old 03-15-2017
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TELVM View Post
I remember when we used to do Quake 1 timedemo runs on "newer" hardware back in the days. (i.e stuff from about 10 years ago). Also got some insane numbers, hehe.

Rig 1: Core i5 6600K - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Corsair Vengeance 16GB PC2666 RAM - MSI GeForce GTX1070 - Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD + 2TB Seagate SSHD - Corsair RM550x - Fractal Design R5 - Win10 64

Rig 2: Ryzen 1700X @ 3.9 GHz - Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 - Corsair LPX 16GB PC3200 RAM - Gigabyte GeForce 1070 - 250GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD - Corsair RM650i - Win10 64
HTPC: AMD A6-6400k - MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 mITX - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz - 3.5TB storage - Silver Power 460W passive - CM Elite 120
Old 03-18-2017
200W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
rhetoric(sarcastic) question...nice played. It might be, i dont know because i haven't found one yet. I just random-clicked some clips. I am not subscribed to any youtube channel. I am amazed how easy some clips brought $.$$$.$$$ to the uploader.
i found myself rejecting almost every clip(tech or not) , either i hate the host because he/she is annoying, irritating, or because i dont like how they look/talk/act, etc. i can give names and reasons if you want, i am not talking abstract.
Maybe there are useful youtube channels, i guess i haven't found them and never will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles_56 View Post
Yeah, mostly about custom loop water cooling parts
@Nucles_56 , i like custom loop water cooling but i cant afford it, so for now there is no point for me to watch clips about other people enjoying their fancy custom loops.

ps: few years ago i started to watch funny clips like Takeshi Castle and after few hours i found myself watching car accidents. Dont get me wrong, i dont enjoy seeing other people hurt, i think my mind wanted to prepare itself for life, just in case i end up in bad situations. i guess i thought i will be prepared for worst moments if i see different car(trucks) accidents situations.
Old 03-18-2017
200W User

Please forgive my question, but Why doesn't AMD increase the die size? i mean since the new ryzen cpus run on AM4, couldn't they make a bigger CPU and a bigger AM4 socket? lets say double the actual size? so they can insert more cores or more cache. They had time, 4 years its a lot of time. I mean why they are stuck with that "standard square" cpu? I wouldn't mind to have a bigger size component inside my pc case. I think i woudn't mind more performance over less free space on the motherboard. I understand it is very difficult to develop and to create a component such as the cpu, they already reached a limit, the frequency. Isn't time to increase the size of the cpu? to add + 20 cores running at 3 Ghz ?
I am getting tired of this game: company market strategy = make small modifications every year/ increase the performance little by little/change the platforms compatibility=>> make more money.
Why the size limit? would you mind if your new cpu would be 5mm larger than the actual cpus?
Old 03-18-2017
ssssssmokin'

If they made a 16 core 32 thread CPU for AM4 it means all motherboards needs to support the CPU. So all motherboards need to have a better VRM. But you also need more memory bandwidth so all motherboards needs to support quad-channel. This all makes AM4 a lot more expensive, like for example socket 2011-3. Not everyone is willing to pay 250 dollars for the cheapest motherboards. And of course they are right. It's strange to combine the cheapest AM4 Bristol Ridge APU which costs maybe 50 dollars or even less with a 250 dollar motherboard.

That's why AM4 only goes to 8 core 16 threads with a 95W max TDP and only a dual-channel memory controller in the CPU. If you want faster they have Naples coming. Napels is also based on the same architecture but the fastest CPU has 32 cores and 64 threads, the memory controller of this CPU has eight channels. There also dual socket motherboards coming for Naples, so you can use two CPU's on one motherboard to have a 64 core 128 threads PC.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads...BC%9F.2483466/
Old 03-18-2017
200W User

Quote:
If they made a 16 core 32 thread CPU for AM4 it means all motherboards needs to support the CPU. So all motherboards need to have a better VRM. But you also need more memory bandwidth so all motherboards needs to support quad-channel. This all makes AM4 a lot more expensive, like for example socket 2011-3. Not everyone is willing to pay 250 dollars for the cheapest motherboards. And of course they are right. It's strange to combine the cheapest AM4 Bristol Ridge APU which costs maybe 50 dollars or even less with a 250 dollar motherboard.

That's why AM4 only goes to 8 core 16 threads with a 95W max TDP and only a dual-channel memory controller in the CPU. If you want faster they have Naples coming. Napels is also based on the same architecture but the fastest CPU has 32 cores and 64 threads, the memory controller of this CPU has eight channels. There also dual socket motherboards coming for Naples, so you can use two CPU's on one motherboard to have a 64 core 128 threads PC.
i thought if a AM3+ mainboard can handle an AMD FX 9350 regarding VRM/power consumption, then it shouldnt be a problem for a new AM4 mainboard VRMS to handle a 16cores/32threads 190W TDP cpu. My mistake. I guess i want too much from a cpu manufacturer. One day i hope i'll have a 64 cores 128 threads workstation.
Old 03-19-2017
1kW User

Quote:
IMHO this is a pretty decent one: Digital Foundry - Ryzen 7 1800X Review! What's The REAL Deal With Gaming?

At the end they simulate a 6c/12t R5 1600X by disabling 1+1 cores from a 8c/16t 1800X, quite interesting.
Old 03-19-2017
ssssssmokin'

Quote:
. One day i hope i'll have a 64 cores 128 threads workstation.
If you have the money you probably should be able to buy a Zen based 64 core 128 thread workstation this year.
Old 03-19-2017
1kW User

Quote:
i thought if a AM3+ mainboard can handle an AMD FX 9350 regarding VRM/power consumption, then it shouldnt be a problem for a new AM4 mainboard VRMS to handle a 16cores/32threads 190W TDP cpu. My mistake. I guess i want too much from a cpu manufacturer. One day i hope i'll have a 64 cores 128 threads workstation.
Not every AM3+ motherboard is compatible with those FX-9xxx CPUs, and the issue is mainly VRMs. Many AM3 motherboards were also not compatible with 125 or 140 W Phenoms.

I think AMD wanted to avoid this type of issue this time.

Tags
amd, pc canard, ryzen