jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > GPU Discussion

GPU Discussion Discuss video card processors here: Past, present and future! No Nvidia v. ATI flames, please.

Old 12-21-2016
micro ATX User

Default Can I power my evga 1070 with 8pin pcie connector and a 2xmolex to 8pin adapter?

PSU is Seasonic S12ii 520w bronze. It only has one 6+2 pin pcie connector. I'm thinking of using a 2xmolex to 8pin adapter for the 2nd 8pin slot. Is this recommended?

CPU is FX 6300 (which is up for upgrade along with PSU next year)
Old 12-21-2016
Jun Fu capacitor advocate

Not recommended, but it'll probably be fine until you upgrade your psu, since the 1070 is a relatively low-medium tdp card.

Don't forget to get the thermal mod for the gpu - although if you haven't ordered the gpu yet then maybe get an asus strix/amp extreme? Not a fan of the evga "cheap" coolers...
Old 12-21-2016
micro ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgid13579 View Post
Not recommended, but it'll probably be fine until you upgrade your psu, since the 1070 is a relatively low-medium tdp card.

Don't forget to get the thermal mod for the gpu - although if you haven't ordered the gpu yet then maybe get an asus strix/amp extreme? Not a fan of the evga "cheap" coolers...
Yeah, this is not long term solution but for a couple of months. Do you think the bottlenecking by FX 6300 will further prevent any excessive power usage as well?
Old 12-21-2016
Jun Fu capacitor advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionX View Post
Yeah, this is not long term solution but for a couple of months. Do you think the bottlenecking by FX 6300 will further prevent any excessive power usage as well?
Depends on the game.... But yes, you should be fine. Even if the 1070 is not bottlenecked by the fx6300 in a certain game, more than likely you should be fine since the reference 1070 uses a single 8 pin.
Old 12-21-2016
ssssssmokin'

Thanked 1,176 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
PSU is Seasonic S12ii 520w bronze. It only has one 6+2 pin pcie connector. I'm thinking of using a 2xmolex to 8pin adapter for the 2nd 8pin slot.
The PSU has two PEG connectors, one is a 6 pins but many graphics cards are working fine with only a 6 pins PEG in a 8 pins PEG.
Quote:
Is this recommended?
No it really isn't, it's the worst option of all. So better try it first with the six pins, if that doesn't work there are even more better options which you should try first.
Old 12-21-2016
micro ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
The PSU has two PEG connectors, one is a 6 pins but many graphics cards are working fine with only a 6 pins PEG in a 8 pins PEG.
This is safe, right? Also what other options are available (except buying a new PSU which is due for later)
Old 12-22-2016
ssssssmokin'

Thanked 1,176 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
This is safe, right?
It's the most safe option of all with your current PSU.
Quote:
Also what other options are available (except buying a new PSU which is due for later)
If the PC doesn't start with a 6 pins PEG in the 8 pins power connector it means that the graphics cards checks if you really have used a 8 pins and not something else. I know that Asus has many graphics cards which doesn't check this. For example my old Asus HD 5850 DirectCU card has a 8 pins and 6 pins PEG, but works fine with two 6 pins because the card doesn't check. A card like the Asus GTX 970 Strix has one 8 pins PEG, but does also work with only a 6 pins PEG.

But if you have a graphics card that does check you can for example make a wire bridge between the two non used pins, then it should work with a 6 pins PEG connector, because know the graphics card "thinks" that you have used a 8 pins PEG.

If you aren't that handy you can also buy a 6 to 8 pins PEG connector cable. If you can't or won't buy that you can use a molex to 8 pins connector, but that should really be your last options. Because it's the worst option by far.
Old 12-24-2016
micro ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
It's the most safe option of all with your current PSU.

If the PC doesn't start with a 6 pins PEG in the 8 pins power connector it means that the graphics cards checks if you really have used a 8 pins and not something else. I know that Asus has many graphics cards which doesn't check this. For example my old Asus HD 5850 DirectCU card has a 8 pins and 6 pins PEG, but works fine with two 6 pins because the card doesn't check. A card like the Asus GTX 970 Strix has one 8 pins PEG, but does also work with only a 6 pins PEG.

But if you have a graphics card that does check you can for example make a wire bridge between the two non used pins, then it should work with a 6 pins PEG connector, because know the graphics card "thinks" that you have used a 8 pins PEG.

If you aren't that handy you can also buy a 6 to 8 pins PEG connector cable. If you can't or won't buy that you can use a molex to 8 pins connector, but that should really be your last options. Because it's the worst option by far.
I tried it, it does check for the 8 pins. How do I bridge the 2 non used pins? Also why is the molex connector not safe?
Old 01-26-2017
micro ATX User

Quote:
I tried it, it does check for the 8 pins. How do I bridge the 2 non used pins? Also why is the molex connector not safe?
The Molex 4 pin to PEG connectors are notorious for having bad connections and catching fire. This is also seen in Molex to SATA power adapters too.

Edit: Have you emailed Seasonic support? Their website lists the S12II as having two PCI power connectors.
Edit 2: I looked at the specs again, there is one 6+2 pin connector, and one 6 pin connector, I see the issue now.
Old 1 Week Ago
micro ATX User

The best option would be to upgrade your psu to avoid future performance issues.

Last edited by jonnyGURU; 1 Week Ago at 10:32 AM. Reason: Spam in signature