jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Software > General Software

General Software Troubleshooting and discussion of any computer software

Old 10-30-2016
Banned

Default Some usable free antivirus for Windows XP x86-64 (2003)?

Is there some free antivirus for x86-64 version of XP? That't the thing using 2003 kernel, it has nothing in common with normal XP. So unless explicit 2003 support is specified chances are it won't work. Most todays antivirus packs do not support 2003 anymore. Avira installs some cloud frontend but than craps something about connection error, plus its worse both to use and to detect anything in each new version last two years.

Don't want them AVG or Avast craps, before Avira turned useless these were the worst on the market ever. Tried Panda and 360 Total, no joy for both, not supported.
Old 10-31-2016
Jun Fu capacitor advocate

Yes. There is.

That is two computers, one with 7/8.1/10 and one with xp. Unplug the xp pc and don't let it go online.

Transfer everything back and forth.

In all seriousness, why on earth are you still using XP???
Old 10-31-2016
Banned

Jesus fucking crist's leg, I've been waiting for just that

Maybe all you "upgrade at all cost"… …people could understand there is HW where it just DOES NOT FRELLING WORK. Like this server…and shitloads of other things. And to stop this right now, I am not throwing this perfectly working (well, for the most part, got some troubles running these high-density high-capacity RAM modules) HW away when it still packs some serious punch to crunch some BOINC protein research. And yes, I kinda need 64bit OS, because of, guess what, 2^32 bytes

BTW yes, I even tried Vista as the first choice. Already too young OS. Could not finish the installation. Guess it has to do with that 2D 8MB video adapter…yeah I managed to run GT 610 after all, but that was AFTER the system was installed. Or maybe with that ancient nForce 3600. Or with anything else about that HW. Its 11 years old FFS.
Old 10-31-2016
Site Administrator

I'd suggest you dial it back a notch. There's no reason to snap at someone for asking a legit question.

Maybe he was trying to understand, which is why he asked the question in the first place.
Old 10-31-2016
Site Founder

Thanked 1,649 Times in 1,023 Posts

Glad I didn't respond. I was going to suggest paying for AV.

Rest in peace Joerg Theissen, aka "GI Joe"
Old 10-31-2016
Naughty

No point in using an AV, Win XP is a Swiss cheese full of security holes by now.

Just apply common sense to how you use the machine; if it's really for BOINC and not much else, you don't need the AV anyway.

If surfing and such, only go to trusted sites, under 3 layers of ad blockers, and you're golden.

When in doubt, use a sandbox first. Like Sandboxie.
Old 10-31-2016
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
I'd suggest you dial it back a notch. There's no reason to snap at someone for asking a legit question.

Maybe he was trying to understand, which is why he asked the question in the first place.
Oh I know these types, it's full of them everywhere. Upgrade is their answer to everything and if windblows would have been sold in market without electronics distribution and RCs, they would sleep in front of the foors the night before new version goes out to be the first to buy it. I did not ask for that, why should I throw working device away, because they say so? And why should i upgrade to some 8+ crap, because they say so? Anyway, at least something I got from this: I've put clear information about my stand towards that to my signature

jon: well it's bloody BOINC cruncher, I do not need that AV so much to pay for that, good enough I've already invested some HW and LOT of time into it. Just for the sake of the argument, any payed one still supports 2003? I have a strong feeling the situation is not much better in these waters…

But I somehow fail to see why everybody always has to think for myself and tell me things I have not asked for instead of responding to what I *did* ask for? If I wanted to throw it to garbage, I would have done so already. DTTO with payed AV. So, well, maybe if you don't know the answer to a question I am asking, just don't reply? Or are you reply junkies?

McSteel: well any modern even free AV has resident shield these days, that's mostly what I want it for…so if some things gets inside somehow, my hope is it will stop them
Old 10-31-2016
Naughty

If some things get in, it's over. It's just a matter of whether they are destructive or just opportunistic. That's the difference between a cryptolocker and a botnet connection node...
Old 11-01-2016
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Win XP is a Swiss cheese full of security holes by now.
Quote:
why on earth are you still using XP
You two are not paying attention. He said XP x86-64, which is based on Windows Server 2003 - it's a different thing than your typical XP and assumptions made about vanilla XP may not apply here.
Old 11-01-2016
1kW User

Eset Nod32 / Endpoint Antivirus / whatever they call it these days supports Windows 2003. Some FAQ on their site Nod32 4.0 and 4.2 support 2003, don't know if later versions do or you're supposed to switch to Endpoint antivirus or something like that.

I think F-secure antivirus still supports Windows 2003 as well.

You may just as well install straight Windows 2003 64bit on that computer, after tweaking or stopping some extra services it can actually run with very small memory footprint.

You could also do your own work and check sites like virus Bulletin to see their latest comparative and see what antivirus programs are all the rage these days

Latest RAP Quadrant - https://www.virusbulletin.com/testin...-rap-quadrant/

Virus Bulletin's unique RAP tests measure simple static detection rates using the freshest samples available at the time products are submitted to the test, as well as samples not seen until after product databases are frozen. This provides a measure of both the vendors' ability to handle newly emerging malware and their accuracy in detecting previously unknown malware.

VB's latest comparative : https://www.virusbulletin.com/testin...00-antimalware

And history for their tests (you can then click on each antivirus product to see how it scores in time) : https://www.virusbulletin.com/testin...00-antimalware

ps. Avira antivirus has a sort of command line scanning utility which may ignore the operating system version. But you have to download the latest definitions using the free Avira antivirus (which would have to run on a virtual machine or another computer) and then copy the definition files to this command line utility's folder to keep it updated... and of course, you'd scan files and folders manually and check the log to see infected files.

Tags
2003, 64bit, antivirus, x86-64, xp pro