jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  


Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > GPU Discussion

GPU Discussion Discuss video card processors here: Past, present and future! No Nvidia v. ATI flames, please.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-16-2016
danijel00 danijel00 is offline
micro ATX User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Croatia
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default XFX rx 460 4gb or GIGABYTE Windoforce rx 460 4gb?

Now this is basically the same cards and at almost the same price..But Gigabyte version doesn't need PIN connection from psu and the XFX version needs...So is there any important difference in that? which card is a better option for gaming? Or I just can't miss whatever I decide?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-16-2016
Nuckles_56's Avatar
Nuckles_56 Nuckles_56 is offline
Zero point energy user
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 166
Thanks: 325
Thanked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Default

I'd guess that the XFX one will be able to overclock higher than the gigabyte card just because it has the extra power available to it, so if you want to get the most out of the card I'd go with the XFX card, if you don't then it doesn't matter too much at all
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-16-2016
danijel00 danijel00 is offline
micro ATX User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Croatia
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Well I never overclocked anything so I guess I won't do that with that card either. There's just one other little difference. Gigabyte boost clock is 1212MHz and XFX is 1220Mhz...but I guess that's notable difference
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-16-2016
-The_Mask-'s Avatar
-The_Mask- -The_Mask- is online now
ssssssmokin'
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 4,749
Thanks: 336
Thanked 1,355 Times in 885 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danijel00 View Post
Now this is basically the same cards and at almost the same price..But Gigabyte version doesn't need PIN connection from psu and the XFX version needs...So is there any important difference in that? which card is a better option for gaming? Or I just can't miss whatever I decide?
The best choice depends on your PSU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles_56 View Post
I'd guess that the XFX one will be able to overclock higher than the gigabyte card just because it has the extra power available to it, so if you want to get the most out of the card I'd go with the XFX card, if you don't then it doesn't matter too much at all
There isn't more power available with an extra PEG connector. It's only smarter to buy the one with an extra PEG connector if you're gonna overclock. Because otherwise the motherboard needs to deliver all the power and that's gonna be more then where it's designed for.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-16-2016
danijel00 danijel00 is offline
micro ATX User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Croatia
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm thinking about XFX 450W PSU Pro Series CoreEdition 80...In the store they offered me Zalman 500W -LX PSU Series retail but I think I'll pass
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-16-2016
-The_Mask-'s Avatar
-The_Mask- -The_Mask- is online now
ssssssmokin'
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 4,749
Thanks: 336
Thanked 1,355 Times in 885 Posts
Default

Which one was cheaper the XFX TS 430W or Pro 450? Doesn't matter much by the way, get whatever is cheaper. Both also have a PEG connector so both cards can be powered by the PSU. So it doesn't matter. I would get the most silent one.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-16-2016
danijel00 danijel00 is offline
micro ATX User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Croatia
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

XFX TS 430W is around 7$ cheaper then Pro 450. Both also have 80 Plus Bronze certifying, that mean something right?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-07-2017
rty rty is offline
1kW User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 119
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I like Gigabyte's cooling solution a bit better.

I have one of their Windforce cards and it's very quiet.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-07-2017
jonnyGURU's Avatar
jonnyGURU jonnyGURU is offline
Site Founder
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: jonnyGURU forums, of course!
Posts: 14,904
Thanks: 475
Thanked 1,874 Times in 1,157 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danijel00 View Post
Both also have 80 Plus Bronze certifying, that mean something right?
Not really. No.
__________________
Rest in peace Mike Clements, aka "Yellowbeard"

Rest in peace Joerg Theissen, aka "GI Joe"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-07-2017
rafal_iB_PL rafal_iB_PL is offline
Flux Capacitor User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,672
Thanks: 107
Thanked 174 Times in 154 Posts
Default

Quote:
There isn't more power available with an extra PEG connector. It's only smarter to buy the one with an extra PEG connector if you're gonna overclock. Because otherwise the motherboard needs to deliver all the power and that's gonna be more then where it's designed for.
IIRC 460s lacking 6-pin connectors throttle quite a bit, which was the cause of disappointing numbers in some tests. Like that one:

https://www.computerbase.de/2016-08/...rx-460-test/3/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © JonnyGURU.com 2000 -