jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Site and Forum Topics > Testing Methodology Discussion

Testing Methodology Discussion Questions and comments regarding the testing methodologies used on jonnyguru.com

Old 06-14-2016
Cybenetics CTE

Default Protection Features Evaluation

A new addition to my tests. It will take some time but I believe it worth the extra trouble.

Methodology

I also made an upgrade to my program. It increases load automatically till OPP is triggered (or the PSU dies) and it logs everything, including the exact moment that the protection kicks in along with all the rest details. It can increase load in every step I set and I can also set the load step individually in every of the +12V, 5V and 3.3V rails. This means that I can catch the OPP triggering point with high accuracy (if I am patient enough to let the program/load run for hours).

I also set some protections which shut down immediately the PSU in case any of the rails go out of 10% regulation (thanks to Philip for this idea ). I could do the same for ripple but I want to catch the spikes that some PSUs have under overload scenarios.

I won't go above 130%, since as I explain into my methodology a PSU might be able to deliver 130% of its max power under normal conditions, but at 50C it will most likely go down (unless it has OTP and this is properly configured). In any case I believe that protections are for a reason and if they are set too high then they don't serve their purpose well. My goal isn't to make PSUs go boom but to see if the corresponding protections are correctly set. Another example is when a company states that the 5V rail can deliver up to 24A and OCP doesn't kick in at 130% of this level (31.2A). According to my opinion this is a useless protection since a 5V wire might melt but the PSU will be still in operation.

I am open of course to any suggestions or discussion about my methodology (as usual).
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to crmaris For This Useful Post:
-The_Mask- (06-14-2016), jonnyGURU (06-14-2016), McSteel (06-14-2016), Philipus II (06-14-2016), quest for silence (06-20-2016), Tator Tot (06-15-2016)
Old 06-14-2016
Tinfoil Hat User

Awesome news, it's great that you managed to add these to your tests!
Old 06-14-2016
Naughty

Failing the PSU if the 5VSB protection doesn't kick in past 110% is a bit harsh, I believe. Why not 130% as well for that rail?

Usually 5VSB is declared as capable of churning out 3A, it's exceedingly rare to see anything above that in consumer space. And it's equally as rare to find one incapable of providing at least 5A, according to the components used and the performance inside the stated 3A capabilities...
Old 06-15-2016
Cybenetics CTE

it will be 130% as well. The provided table is just an example (meaning that OCP at 5VSB activated at 110%).

Also yesterday it came to me to also add Surge and Inrush current protections to the table.
Old 06-15-2016
Naughty

Do we know of any consumer-level PSUs that have those actively implemented though? I don't
Old 06-15-2016
Cybenetics CTE

Active?
Old 06-15-2016
Naughty

Well, yeah. Besides the passive components like MOVs and TVS diodes (and also NTC thermistors), some server PSUs have active surge protection. I'm not sure if any consumer ones do (it's not a requirement)... Just wondering.
Old 06-15-2016
Cybenetics CTE

though so, just wanted to be sure that you meant this. Yeap no consumer PSU has active surge protection, to the best of my knowledge at least. But some of them don't even have a MOV or a TVS diode.
Old 06-15-2016
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
I'm not sure if any consumer ones do (it's not a requirement)... Just wondering.
IIRC FSP has claimed this for their ACRF units.
Old 07-18-2016
was here for PSUs, now for the jokes

I'm looking forward to these tests, it's exactly what we need. Every unit should be capable of being overloaded until it gracefully shuts down without blowing up. And of course the important of OTP is also stressed in this situation,