jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > General Electronics > Electronic Component Discussion

Electronic Component Discussion Discussion of anything pertaining to electronics and the components that make them work

Old 04-07-2016
PSU assassin
Default Using an ESR meter

I finally got myself an ESR meter, the Peak Electronics Atlas ESR70. I was using it and it seems like a great piece of kit, but i have found some weird cases with it.

Was checking some GSC capacitors on a old motherboard, ones known to fail without obvious signs of leaking. So bingo it picks up a high ESR on one of the caps as expected (ESR of about 1.6 on a 1000uf), though test the next one it comes up as fine and i think to myself thats odd. I examine that cap closer and it clearly has leaked out the bottom !
So i test the ESR and again and it was within spec.

Now i was testing in circuit, but that did worry me a bit since if the ESR was fine but the cap was definitely failed. The ESR70 cant measure the capacitance in circuit, so i would have to desolder to check the capacitance, but if i need to desolder that kind of defeats the purpose of using the ESR meter.
Old 10-20-2017
20W User

The ESR70 is a wonderful meter; capacitors are sometimes in parallel and then the a lower resistance will be measured.

Last edited by ashiekh; 12-22-2017 at 12:53 PM.