jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > CPU Discussion

CPU Discussion Discuss processors here: Past, present and future! No AMD v. Intel flames, please.

Old 01-09-2015
Silencer & heathen relic of a human ( by OW)

Default May AMD CPUs bottleneck the most powerful GPUs?

Some days ago I asked to some of you their opinions about Intel and AMD CPUs performances when paired with high end GPUs (GTX980/970, R290X/R290).

Our well known co-forumer -The_Mask- told me that discussing via PMs was so largely inefficient here, that in case he'd rather to better discuss the argument in a thread (you know, he's amusing and knowledgeable, but maybe a bit lazy, and intolerant to politics ).

Frankly I don't think he's right, because in my experience non-PSU related threads are mostly ignored here, but here we go.

Well, I'm rebuilding a low cost FullHD gaming rig, mainly replacing the current GPU (ASUS GTX-660 OC 2Gb): games used are mainly FPS, along with some competitive gaming (clan) with similar online multi-player games (so, in the end we're dealing with Battlefield, Crysis and the likes, but played with different settings online/offline).

The new GPU (which may require a new PSU also) should be an XFX R290 DD (or less probably a Zotac GTX-970, which doesn't require a PSU upgrade).
Current CPU is a stock clock AMD FX-6300: money-wise I wouldn't like to upgrade the AMD CPU/mobo, but on the other hand there are chances the new GPU would be severely bottlenecked by this CPU, and in the end that's what I already asked privately to five of you.

According to our well-known co-forumer rafal-iB-PL, no Bulldozers/Visheras can handle the most powerful GPUs, and pointed me out this chart/article:

http://pclab.pl/art57717-16.html

so that, summarizing, according to him no high-end GPUs can do actually better than any mid-end GPUs (when paired with such CPUs).

OTOH, some other co-forumers are less draconians than him about AMD CPUs.
BTW, digging the net I also found an article about multiplayer FPS (BF4) on a eastern-european (serbian? romanian?) website:

http://www.hardwarepal.com/battlefie...pu-w7-vs-w8-1/

which points out that apparently there's no frame rate improvement when using a GTX-770 / HD7970(R9 280X) over a more modest GTX-660 / HD7870 (R9 270X), but that issue happens just when the CPU is an AMD FX-series one.

If their methodologies were correct, then rafal_iB_PL should be quite right, (and, to be honest, currently I lean towards agreeing with him).

Another blog points out that increasing the load over the GPU (i.e. increasing resolutions and bells'n'whistles) may help to improve frame rate through a better re-balancing of the game load (along with some OC on the CPU side, to be fair):

http://abundantcores.blogspot.it/p/a...in-gaming.html

Apparently that contraddicts both the polish and the other eastern-european websites, but on the other hand some of you find that advice as sound, at least for GTX660/R9 270-class of performance, while being a tad more dubious when GPU powerhouses (R9 290 and better) are involved.

What can I say about the BF4 test is that online multiplayer game experience should be different from single player gaming, particularly if you're used to clan gaming: as our co-forumer PhilipusII told me, CPU power is important for competitive gaming, so that you usually use max resolution, max FSAA but lowest detail settings because with these selected settings the CPU load scales far less than any other way (so the last linked advice should not apply to clan gaming). On the other hand, it's just one factor in the multi player equation: like our co-forumer mdk777 cleverly said, other things may usually matter more in that specific gameplay experience; according to him, #1 the gamer's internet speed, as if you are lagging you will be spawned continuously (despite your fastest rig, experience and skills); then #2 memory and memory cached ram drives, because those eliminate the lag of buses and read/write delays, so that gaming will seem times faster.

That's why I'm wondering now whether HardwarePal methodologies were correct (even if, as I said, I lean towards agreeing with them and with rafal_IB_PL).

Well, I hope our friend -The_Mask- will be glad to answer now (crmaris, the same apply to you, if you have some spare time): but above all, I hope JG community want to prove my expectations about the low usefulness of such a public thread on this forum as wrong.

Thanks in advance for your understandings in the matter and for any useful help/hint.

Last edited by quest for silence; 01-09-2015 at 05:30 PM. Reason: grammar corrections
The Following User Says Thank You to quest for silence For This Useful Post:
diegomarvin (02-11-2016)
Old 01-10-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
Our well known co-forumer -The_Mask- told me that discussing via PMs was so largely inefficient here, that in case he'd rather to better discuss the argument in a thread (you know, he's amusing and knowledgeable, but maybe a bit lazy, and intolerant to politics ).

Frankly I don't think he's right, because in my experience non-PSU related threads are mostly ignored here, but here we go.
Q.E.D.
diegomarvin (02-11-2016)
Old 01-10-2015
I'm Batman!

Ahhh, latin, such a dead language

It's not about the CPU maker, it's about the CPU, I have a friend that keeps upgrading his video card video card because he has FPS issues, he has an i3 530.

A year and a half ago I upgraded my system, from an AMD Phenom 955 to an Intel i5 4670. My plan was to also upgrade the video card in the near future.

But something strange happened, I didn't feel the need to do that. I'm sorry I didn't do some benchmarks with the old system, the FPS rise was noticeable even though I had a GTX 560 (non Ti) at that point and using a 23" full HD monitor.

Until I experienced it myself, I was certain that you don't need a powerful CPU at high resolutions, because the GPU does all the work, or at least that's what people want you to believe.
diegomarvin (02-11-2016)
Old 01-10-2015
retired reviewer

Well, I already sent you a PM

JonnyGuru is a psu community - what do you expect? We'd happily debate about you chioce for the power supply 5 pages long. But we don't care if your pc is fast enough
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Philipus II For This Useful Post:
Behemot (05-11-2015), diegomarvin (02-11-2016)
Old 01-10-2015
ssssssmokin'

Thanked 1,255 Times in 823 Posts

I'm busy
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:
Behemot (05-11-2015), diegomarvin (02-11-2016), jonnyGURU (01-10-2015)
Old 01-10-2015
I'm Batman!

A fellow drinker of Tsingtao of Europe I see

There's a meme in here somewhere...
diegomarvin (02-11-2016), jonnyGURU (01-10-2015)
Old 01-10-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
Until I experienced it myself, I was certain that you don't need a powerful CPU at high resolutions, because the GPU does all the work, or at least that's what people want you to believe.
Thank you, Lemmy, I appreciate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipus II View Post
Well, I already sent you a PM
You're welcome Philip, I know that, and as a matter of fact you're quoted in my original post as helpful: moreover I know you're quite busy with your degree and your job (will you stay here even after ComputerBase?), so your kind PMs were much appreciated.

Quote:
JonnyGuru is a psu community - what do you expect?
Nothing but to prove a concept: that our dear -The_Mask- is actually a jester!
("Oh, I'd like to help, but PMs are so unfriendly: would you mind to open a thread about?" - "Ok D, I'm going to" - "Nice: unfortunately now it's saturday night, and I'm busy with beer, friends and girls (or boys, I dunno)!"

Quote:
We'd happily debate about you chioce for the power supply 5 pages long. But we don't care if your pc is fast enough
My PC is faster than your one!
Is that other one which I am rebuilding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
I'm busy
But at the same time, totally unreliable (as expected, to be honest ). No, that's not because of the beer, it's your own nature I guess.
diegomarvin (02-11-2016)
Old 01-10-2015
Naughty

Hey now, I answered your PM question fair and square!
I respect that you seek other opinions, but it's not like you were completely left hanging
Old 01-10-2015
ssssssmokin'

Thanked 1,255 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post

But at the same time, totally unreliable (as expected, to be honest ). No, that's not because of the beer, it's your own nature I guess.
OK.... Why you tink that?
Old 01-11-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSteel View Post
Hey now, I answered your PM question fair and square!
I respect that you seek other opinions, but it's not like you were completely left hanging
You're right, blame me for that : kudos to you, McSteel, and to mdk777, PhilipusII and rafal_iB_PL who help me via PM, "shame" on -The_Mask- who "asked" me to start a useless public thread just because he's busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
OK.... Why you tink that?
Perhaps didn't you get I was just teasing, as I maybe used the wrong words, or are you teasing in turn?

Tags
amd fx, cpu bottleneck, gaming, gtx-970, r9-290