jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > GPU Discussion

GPU Discussion Discuss video card processors here: Past, present and future! No Nvidia v. ATI flames, please.

Old 01-03-2014
200W User

Question GPU upgrade with height and noise restriction. Input?

[SOLVED - Well sort off. Got a new case.]

Hello Gurus

It is time for an upgrade of my GPU, both for some MORE POWER!! (as Jeremy Clarkson likes to say...) and also to get my PC to shut the h... up. I've traded most of the other stuff out with quiet(er) components, but my graphic card is still too loud. Especially now that the rest isn't as bad anymore...

So, what are my options?

Budget: $400 (maybe 500?)

Usage: Gaming in Windows 7 (from small indie games to ArmA3 - noise aren't important here) and programming, browsing etc. in Linux (silence here please...)

Important: My NZXT Panzerbox case doesn't leave much room for the card, so anything higher than my current Gainward GTX 460 "Golden Sample - Goes Like Hell" will not fit below the PSU (and is the main reason I have no clue what to buy). There are 11 cm from motherboard to PSU. Note that this does not include the PCIe slot/the part of the card that goes into the slot since the Sabertooth is covered in protective / cooling plastic stuff. So from the top of the PCIe slot to PSU is 11 cm. That include room for any power cables if they are on top of the card.

Also, my motherboard (ASUS Sabertooth P67) only comes with PCIe 2.0 x16, if that makes any difference in my price range.

If anyone would like to be more specific than just a card model, since prices are different based on where you are, feel free to look at this site where I do my shopping. It is in danish but it shouldn't be too hard to find your way around. $400-500 is approximately 2100-2600 DKR.

EDIT:
Just noticed looking at this picture that my current cards height seems to match the hight of the bracket on it. It leaves room for power pins and cables at the top of it.

Last edited by TheForumTroll; 01-10-2014 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Solved
Old 01-03-2014
200W User

Okay so I also asked on another site with less info, but ended up looking at a Gigabyte GTX 770 or 760 with the Windforce X3 cooler. Looks like a good buy.
Old 01-10-2014
Flux Capacitor User

Generally the length and the number of slots covered (two in this case matter. Near the top of the bracket (unless someone has a case like yours) is usually a non factor.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/G...orce_OC/1.html

Do not know if "windforce" tab is removable or cutable for height.
Let us know choice and result, please.
Old 01-10-2014
200W User

I decided on a new case to get rid of the problem all together. I bought the Gigabyte GTX760 OC WF3 2GB and a Corsair Obsidian 550D case. Problem solved! (:

It wouldn't have fit in the old case. Even without the tab it's still like 1 cm too heigh at least. What you cannot see in the photo in the review, is that that card is like 1 cm higher than the bracket, even without the black top plate.

It's a beauty (;

Tags
gpu, upgrade