jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > GPU Discussion

GPU Discussion Discuss video card processors here: Past, present and future! No Nvidia v. ATI flames, please.

Old 12-13-2013
micro ATX User

Unhappy 780 Ti coil whine and barely overclocking

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum but it looks like a great place to ask this question. I'm getting some pretty loud coil whine from my reference Gigabyte 780 Ti. I installed it on Tuesday and ran a benchmark and that is when I first heard the coil whine. I've ran a benchmark for an hour or so because I heard it can sometimes help with fixing coil whine but sadly it hasn't. When exiting Heaven 4.0 it really squeals which shows that it only happens when FPS is high. I'm pretty certain there is no coil whine coming from my PSU which is the Corsair RM650. If I put my ear on the PSU there is a very, very faint coil whine but that doesn't bother me. Could this coil whine be caused because I only have a 650w PSU or maybe because my motherboard isn't up to the task (Asrock Z77 Extreme4)? I've been thinking about buying the MSI Z77 MPOWER, do you think that would help?

As for the overclocking side of things, I can barely overclock it. I've managed to get 1140 on the core and that's it. I've seen loads of people saying they can get 1200+? Could this be because of my motherboard and/or PSU?

These are the rest of my specs:

i7 3770k @ 4.6
Asrock Extreme4
Corsair RM650
8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600
Gigabyte 780 Ti
Corsair H100i
Corsair C70 case
120GB Kingston HyperX SSD
1TB 7200 HDD
Blu-ray RW

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 02-24-2014
micro ATX User

You're fine some cards this is ok but it all depends on the coil type. The older style inductors sometimes buzz but that is usually not a problem unless bad caps. They often become weak and eventually short out making the card unstable.