jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 07-31-2013
200W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
"Chuckster" and the "N/A" below him are the same person, I'm completely sure of it. He appears to have installed the unit using incompatible Thermaltake modular cables. Of course that's going to cause problems... modular cables aren't universal. Once in a blue moon it may work, but it's never a good idea. More often than not, the pinouts are totally incompatible, leading to fried hard drives and other fun things. He found out the hard way.

This is what you're dealing with when you read Newegg reviews. You can't rely on them, because you have no idea what the user's level of troubleshooting ability is.
Yeah I noticed that as a potential double post, but there are a few other reviews saying the same thing.
Old 07-31-2013
Site Administrator

My AX860i has been in my test rig since before I posted our review and I've not had the first issue with it in any way. The beast has run perfectly non-stop the entire time.

As has been said with NewEgg reviews in mind. You don't know what the posters knowledge level or technical skill level is, which normally means take it with a grain of salt.

The possible coil whine has already been discussed, and the mentioned units aren't the only ones that have seen coil whine. Several brands have had the issue over the years.
Old 07-31-2013
200W User

Yeah I expect I will most likely get a great piece of equipment from corsair. Since I am in Canada, however, it is a big issue for me to spend more than the average American would for shipping to RMA it, especially when I am squeezing a few more dollars out of other things to go from the HX850 to the AX. (that is the bad thing about warranties).
I am assuming if one comes DOA that corsair will foot the bill to ship it back, but that can be a dice roll with some companies.
Old 07-31-2013
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
SO why dont other PSUs have the whining noise?
They do in fact.
Old 07-31-2013
~y

Whine is actually one of the most common problems you can have with the PSU
Old 07-31-2013
Naughty

Yeah, and people just keep whining about it.
Old 07-31-2013
Site Founder

Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao View Post
Well here are the links to the reviews for the PSUs (I used exploding for lack of a better way to convey what the reviews were describing simply)

AX860i: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139041

Either died first run, or 5 months later
Yep. Our of 23 reviews, only 8 are NOT five egg. And that's out of SEVERAL THOUSANDS that were sold (most people don't come back to Newegg to review their products.. especially if they DON'T fail).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao View Post
AX860: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139044

SO why dont other PSUs have the whining noise?
As others have said, they do. You have to realize that currently there are more Corsair PSUs sold than any of the other brand PSU on Newegg (and many other sites as well). That gives you a much larger sampling. Trying to compare a PSU that's sold thousands and has had less than a dozen fail is not a direct comparison to another brand that has sold dozens and have had a couple fail.

Rest in peace Joerg Theissen, aka "GI Joe"
Old 07-31-2013
200W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
Yep. Our of 23 reviews, only 8 are NOT five egg. And that's out of SEVERAL THOUSANDS that were sold (most people don't come back to Newegg to review their products.. especially if they DON'T fail).

As others have said, they do. You have to realize that currently there are more Corsair PSUs sold than any of the other brand PSU on Newegg (and many other sites as well). That gives you a much larger sampling. Trying to compare a PSU that's sold thousands and has had less than a dozen fail is not a direct comparison to another brand that has sold dozens and have had a couple fail.
Oh I do agree. I am still sold on the PSU, I just have a bit of time to make sure that these issues are dealt with first before I buy one, even if they have happened in a small number of the units produced. As an operations manager, multiple people having the same problem raised the red flag that it could be an issue with a batch. I see now that it wasnt a large issue.

I do realize there is a small chance to get a defect, but asking if the issue still persists, is cheaper than a $40 (or more cause of crossing the border) shipping bill

Thanks again for your time and help guys!