jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Site and Forum Topics > Testing Methodology Discussion

Testing Methodology Discussion Questions and comments regarding the testing methodologies used on jonnyguru.com

Old 06-08-2013
Moderator of Silly Walks

The CPL was on the camera at the time. That's how most of my shots got underexposed yesterday. Need to get used to the exposure compensation settings on the camera.

Nothing new for light... don't have a lot of money these days. Lately I'm shooting high ISO and bouncing those work lights off the ceiling.

This one needed Photoshopping - was glad to get it in RAW:

Old 06-08-2013
1kW User

I've noticed that the pics get better if the camera is facing object in a lower degree (lower impact position of the camera). The pics are really warm, color range is huge and there's a bunch of light on them.

Just need to hit the right light degree on the subject with the added flash (bouncing from the ceiling of course).

Firing angle does wonders for closer pics ... although didn't use it much without flash -I must try it next time definitely, to see how it goes
Old 06-08-2013
Moderator of Silly Walks

I've experimented adding the flash to those work lights. It doesn't work very well. HDR seems to help, but the camera turns that setting off after every shot. I don't have time for that.

Could do it manually, but then I'm at the mercy of a TN panel monitor that even as I'm looking at it right now, straight on, I can see the color and contrast changes in the various parts of the display. That's why the monitor is the next thing to get done, once I have money. Each time I edit an image on this thing, I have to guess that it's good enough to go with.

TN panels suck.

I have a Tokina 12-24 on my wish list now, too, for storm photography. Not sure when that one will happen.
Old 06-08-2013
1kW User

That's a one big "cloud" you got there - impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
I've experimented adding the flash to those work lights. It doesn't work very well. HDR seems to help, but the camera turns that setting off after every shot. I don't have time for that.

Could do it manually, but then I'm at the mercy of a TN panel monitor that even as I'm looking at it right now, straight on, I can see the color and contrast changes in the various parts of the display. That's why the monitor is the next thing to get done, once I have money. Each time I edit an image on this thing, I have to guess that it's good enough to go with.

TN panels suck.
Yes, I agree - after shooting, photo correction is the most time demanding part. I loose more time on correcting and choosing photos, than the time invested in taking them

As for monitor ... after I got this AH-IPS LED backlit panel, It literally blew my mind with sharp, bright and color-full image.

The photos that I took with my old cheap camera look absolutely different on this screen compared to their representation on my first cheap Philips TN 20-incher.

It really takes time to get used to it ... almost as I was wearing gray-yellowish sunglasses for a 5y period and now I finally see through

Quote:
I have a Tokina 12-24 on my wish list now, too, for storm photography. Not sure when that one will happen.
It's a nice one ... seen some sample images - very clear shoots, without a lot of light at hand. Pretty reasonable low price

I've got some plans too but don't want to jump quickly from one lens to another. Got to use it to its fullest and take time with it.

Last edited by ferky; 06-08-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-08-2013
Moderator of Silly Walks

Yeah... I shot everything yesterday with my 18-55 at the 18 end, and it was still not quite wide angle enough for me. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with it. I just need something a bit more wide angled for the outdoorsey stuff. I think I'd prefer the 11-16, but that's out of my reach.

I won't be able to afford an IPS monitor, so I'm looking at one of those A-MVA Benq models. Not what I'd like to get, but at least better than what I have.
Old 06-30-2013
Moderator of Silly Walks

I think I might be getting better at this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahoma Wolf For This Useful Post:
ehume (06-30-2013)
Old 07-01-2013
Banned

What would you recommend for a good camera at about 1/3 of the price? Max. budget $249.99+tax
Old 07-01-2013
Moderator of Silly Walks

Not sure I'm the one to ask about that. Your budget is too low for DSLR. A hundred more can get you a D3100 with the same lens I have refurbed from Adorama though.
Old 07-16-2013
Moderator of Silly Walks

Still love my D5100. This is a completely unaltered but cropped shot of lightning from my storm chase yesterday. ISO 800, 18mm, f3.5, 6 second exposure.

Old 07-16-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
Not sure I'm the one to ask about that. Your budget is too low for DSLR. A hundred more can get you a D3100 with the same lens I have refurbed from Adorama though.
Alright, so with tax for about $400 I could get a nice camera? I'm really not satisfied with either my cheap ~$150 Samsung camera from about a year ago, or the phone on my LG Optimus G Android phone.