jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 08-12-2018
20W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by And_corp View Post
Some manufacturers claim that their power supplies are adapted for mining farms. But their real life is small: 0.5-1 year.
That is scary; you must have a lot of warrantee claims.

Last edited by ashiekh; 08-12-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-12-2018
20W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
they were running at 230V and I wasn't spending the cash for a line conditioner that could handle 30A at that voltage.
That sounds like $7,000 of electricity a year, but free heating in Winter

P.S. sorry about the separated posts.
Old 08-12-2018
500W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
That is scary; you must have a lot of warrantee claims.
Vendors of such equipment do not give a great guarantee. From a few weeks to six months. Use obsolete сhinese platforms. Or modifications of power supplies from blades.

Quote:

The MIJ unit was probably running 90% the whole time it was operating... it replaced the Thermaltake. Six card machine. Next in line would have been the EVGA P2, which was powering seven cards including four 290s.

No line conditioning whatsoever on the input... they were running at 230V and I wasn't spending the cash for a line conditioner that could handle 30A at that voltage. The mining rigs ran through several power interruptions that brought down some of the other household computers. If one kept going down like the Thermaltake, it got replaced. And it's the only one that ever did that.
Russian non-industrial miners prefer power supplies of industrial or server level. The reliability is higher than the consumer lines. If there is money then freight.

Last edited by And_corp; 08-12-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-12-2018
Captain Wacky (later renamed "Homer")

Thanked 1,306 Times in 367 Posts

Quote:
That sounds like $7,000 of electricity a year, but free heating in Winter
That's about right. Glad they're not heating the place any more, it was 42.1 degrees outside yesterday. It was actually cooler in the hot box of the unit I was testing... I could have just run that review unit outside the whole time.

Quote:
Therefore, miners prefer power supplies of industrial or server level. The reliability is higher than the consumer lines.
Some of them had to find out the hard way not to use the less than high end stuff, and you have to pay attention to factors you don't usually see with consumer builds like how much power is running through USB risers and cables. I was constantly checking on that stuff, even though all my cards were downvolted and/or underclocked.

I had a sixth mining rig planned before shutdown. It would have been a five card machine powered by either the Enermax MaxTytan 1250W or Corsair AX1600i depending on the video cards used.

Now, there's no point. Too many other people mining... you can't get ahead in crypto that way like you could in 2014-2015 when people thought crypto was done for good. We may be in another cycle like that now, but mining profitability hasn't really reflected that.
Old 08-12-2018
500W User

Quote:
Some of them had to find out the hard way not to use the less than high end stuff, and you have to pay attention to factors you don't usually see with consumer builds like how much power is running through USB risers and cables. I was constantly checking on that stuff, even though all my cards were downvolted and/or underclocked.
Yes. Connectors and cables are very weak link in crypto farms. They can cause fires.

Quote:
Now, there's no point. Too many other people mining... you can't get ahead in crypto that way like you could in 2014-2015 when people thought crypto was done for good. We may be in another cycle like that now, but mining profitability hasn't really reflected that.
There are altcoins. Some of them do not require huge investments. Mining a crypto currency is still in some cases more profitable than acting in real economy.
Old 08-12-2018
20W User

Quote:
Even in immersion baths.
What fluid is used? I worry about flammability.

Last edited by ashiekh; 08-12-2018 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-12-2018
500W User

Quote:
What fluid is used? I worry about flammability.
Novec & Syntec