jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 01-15-2018
micro ATX User

Default Insufficient Power from Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W PSU, GPU crashes, Black Screens

Hi!

I have a brand new Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W PSU and it seems to not be putting out enough power to my ASUS GTX 970 STRIX, resulting in my GPU crashing only when under heavy load when playing graphics intensive games, such as EA's Star Wars Battlefront 2 (V-sync on). Now I certainly believe the PSU has enough power to sustain my system (specs posted below); however, I do not know why my GPU is crashing (I'm getting black screens, my monitor doesn't pick up a signal, and no sound). I have an older 500w Raidmax PSU that it worked pretty well with, and after I experienced crashes with the Seasonic PSU, I replaced it again with the Raidmax one and my PC began to work normally again with the GPU being able to handle heavy loads and getting enough power. I highly doubt it is a problem with my GPU or any other hardware as they all work well with a different power supply. Is my power supply defective? Should I return it for a new one?

Things I did:
I changed out the ram from 1 stick of 8GB to 2 sticks of 4GB (no difference)
Disconnected drives I don't use such as the Blu-ray player (no difference)
Checked if the Seasonic PSU fan is spinning (Working properly)
Replaced the Seasonic PSU with an old Raidmax 500w PSU. The PC was able to continue under heavy load with sufficient power using the Raidmax 500w, unlike the crashing I experienced with the Seasonic PSU.

Specifications:
CPU: Intel i-7 4790
Memory: 2x4GB RAM 1600MHz OR 1x8GB RAM 1600MHz Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP
GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX 970 4GB
MB: MSI Z97 PC Mate
HDD: Western Digital 1TB
Fans: 1xCPU fan, 2x120mm Fans
PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w
Previous PSU: Raidmax 500w
Old 01-15-2018
was here for PSUs, now for the jokes

If it works with the Raidmax PSU (which is already not good) and not with the Seasonic that seems like definite proof something is wrong with the Seasonic PSU to me.
Old 01-15-2018
micro ATX User

Seems like a similar issue as documented here.
Old 01-15-2018
650w User

Quote:
Originally Posted by valverde View Post
Hi!

I have a brand new Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W PSU and it seems to not be putting out enough power to my ASUS GTX 970 STRIX, resulting in my GPU crashing only when under heavy load when playing graphics intensive games, such as EA's Star Wars Battlefront 2 (V-sync on). Now I certainly believe the PSU has enough power to sustain my system (specs posted below); however, I do not know why my GPU is crashing (I'm getting black screens, my monitor doesn't pick up a signal, and no sound). I have an older 500w Raidmax PSU that it worked pretty well with, and after I experienced crashes with the Seasonic PSU, I replaced it again with the Raidmax one and my PC began to work normally again with the GPU being able to handle heavy loads and getting enough power. I highly doubt it is a problem with my GPU or any other hardware as they all work well with a different power supply. Is my power supply defective? Should I return it for a new one?

Things I did:
I changed out the ram from 1 stick of 8GB to 2 sticks of 4GB (no difference)
Disconnected drives I don't use such as the Blu-ray player (no difference)
Checked if the Seasonic PSU fan is spinning (Working properly)
Replaced the Seasonic PSU with an old Raidmax 500w PSU. The PC was able to continue under heavy load with sufficient power using the Raidmax 500w, unlike the crashing I experienced with the Seasonic PSU.

Specifications:
CPU: Intel i-7 4790
Memory: 2x4GB RAM 1600MHz OR 1x8GB RAM 1600MHz Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP
GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX 970 4GB
MB: MSI Z97 PC Mate
HDD: Western Digital 1TB
Fans: 1xCPU fan, 2x120mm Fans
PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w
Previous PSU: Raidmax 500w
Hello,

Sorry for the issue you have with your PSU. If not wrong, you have contacted us also by chat/email and we will reply to you within few minutes in order to get some extra information.

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience it may have caused.
Old 01-17-2018
500W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey3_scratch View Post
If it works with the Raidmax PSU (which is already not good) and not with the Seasonic that seems like definite proof something is wrong with the Seasonic PSU to me.
Of course!
That PC even with light OC shouldn't reach 450W
Old 01-17-2018
ssssssmokin'

Thanked 1,447 Times in 951 Posts

It's more like around 300/325W max, because he has a i7 4790 and not a i7 4790K.
The Following User Says Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:
ManoloKosh (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018
500W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
It's more like around 300/325W max, because he has a i7 4790 and not a i7 4790K.
Oh, yes I read, wrongly, 4790k and with OC to CPU & GPU could reach perhaps 400W, but in a 4790 is different of course!
But my point is that even with a good (or even decent) 450W PSU sholdn't have any problem, so it shouldn't have any problem with a good 650W PSU as his Seasonic.
Of course with a good 400W shouldn't have either (and I don't continue with lower power PSUs because is difficult to find good PSUs under 400W)

Last edited by ManoloKosh; 01-17-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-17-2018
20W User

Theory... the output capacitors are enough for the power supply ripple, but not enough for the load ripple; anyone know the capacitance on the output? Maybe that is why capacitors are being moved onto the leads.
Old 01-17-2018
Transistor abuser

Quote:
Theory... the output capacitors are enough for the power supply ripple, but not enough for the load ripple; anyone know the capacitance on the output? Maybe that is why capacitors are being moved onto the leads.
According to Aris reviews on advanced transient test, the Focus is among the best performers on that list. And all that PSU's (apart the Riotoro one) are proven to work with heavy loads at 12V, like the Focus also. Maybe is a glitch with the ASUS GTX970 Strix (strange enough) or that PSU is a defective one.
Maybe the Stix 970 is not designed for that tight voltage regualtion.
Old 01-17-2018
ssssssmokin'

Thanked 1,447 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
Can't be that, this is not an extreme setup. Also then everyone would have had this problem, which isn't the case. If it's the PSU, it's just a defective one. Don't know what's the problem, but it's just a problem with his PSU, not with all.

Tags
powersupply, psu, seasonic