jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > General PC Hardware

General PC Hardware Troubleshooting and discussion of any computer hardware. Includes UPS's and monitors.

Old 10-04-2015
Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPtor.x View Post
I am being frank with you guys. I am really into games and wanted to build an "almost" future-ready PC.
That would lead straight to an Intel Core i5 6600K combo, whether it were a viable alternative price-wise (given that local pricing matters), rather than to any AMD system.

But if you are going towards a whatever DDR3 system (what about second hand equipments?), spare the money for the Kingston Fury DIMMs and use them to replace your rather questionable PSU.
Old 10-04-2015
200W User

Default The cheat is allowed in some circumstances but not others

I just found out that Serial ATA's Native Command Queuing permits the reporting of writes that just entered the write buffer as complete unless the driver sets the FUA (Force Unit Access) bit according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_buffer. If you want to make sure previous writes are committed to the storage medium, a FLUSH CACHE (if you are using 28-bit addressing) or FLUSH CACHE EXT (if you are using 48-bit addressing) command must be issued, or your writes must have the FUA bit set which prohibits the reporting of the completion of a write command unless it is committed to the medium or an error occurs. This does call into question one of the previous studies' validity on whether some drives are actually bad or not, because the "cheat" I wrote about apparently can be valid according to the specification as long as one does not flush the cache or set the FUA bit. However, the study that was presented to the USENIX 13 conference I linked in a previous post that failed to name and shame the cheaters that cheated despite the Serial ATA specifications that specified when the cheat is valid and when it is not valid and name and recognize those that protect their data shows that some drives ignore those synchronization commands.
Old 10-04-2015
200W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPtor.x View Post
I totally agree that R9 390 will beat GTX 970 any time, considering the VRAM, memory bandwidth and other features but, we should consider the price. I am from India, the cost of R9 390 here is ~$613 and the GTX 970 will cost me ~$383. Clearly there is $230 difference and this is beyond my budget. Sad thing is there is lot of tax and custom duty applied on every electronics. Yup, we are really pissed with our Govt.

I appreciate your help in sharing deep thoughts about the graphics, RAM and SSD storage.

In the end, it all comes down to what we really use the PC for. I will be using few resource intensive apps and latest games(play only on weekends and holidays... cous I work in an IT company). Secondly, this PC will also be used by my dad for office documentation, watching movies, photo editing. Brother will be using this PC for Virtualization(VMware, MS Azure Sharepoint).

So, the configuration might look odd depending on requirements but, I am being frank with you guys. I am really into games and wanted to build an "almost" future-ready PC.

Cheers to gamers
I the USA, the Radeon R9 380 is just slightly more expensive than the GTX 970 by a few dollars. This is why I recommended it. However, I did not know that the R9 380 was much more expensive than the GTX 970 in India.

By the way, if you want a future-ready computer that can handle photo editing, you really should find a motherboard that supports PCI Express 3.0 which rules out the FX CPU. Photo editing jobs are often GPGPU jobs that are sent to the GPU due to their extreme parallelism and generally run faster on a GPU than a CPU. GPGPU jobs often saturate any PCI Express bus. I would recommend an AMD A10 7870K or an Intel CPU for your purpose. If you were in the USA, I could have pointed you to the Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX/GEN3 R2.0 because it does give PCI Express 3.0 to an FX CPU by adding hardware to support it, but Asus does not sell or support that board in India.

Tags
gaming, graphis, power supplies, processor, rig