jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Antec Rep

OCP ain't enough, people power 3-4 riser cards from a single Molex cable with 18AWG. Youw would need OCP per socket, not per rail.

We have this now often in RMA and I already did an internal guide about Molex-powered Riser cards.

I made a simple rule, 1 card per socket to be safe.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Clipboard01.gif (105.0 KB, 34 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to GI_Joe For This Useful Post:
ehume (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Someone Ate My Websites

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
Yes. And it's not a lot to ask. We do it on the HX when the +12V rail switch is set to "MULTIPLE" and on the "i" PSUs when the OCP is turned on in Link.

Problem is, if you give people the option to choose between single and multiple +12V rail, they'll set it to single +12V rail every time.
Wait, so if each pin has it's own OCP, wouldn't that make the HX essentially a, assuming there is something like 40 pins, a 40 rail unit??? What determines whether a unit can have OCP on each wire versus having say 4 rails which each include multiple wires? The protection IC?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
200W User

Well in fairness it would "only" need 1 OCPed rail per peripheral connector to prevent this since only one of the wires is 12V.

If that really is what's going on and is not a lot to ask, then it stands to reason each CPU/PEG and the ATX connector would be on their own OCPed rails as well, making the total 13 for the HX1000i. Maybe that's what jonny meant?

EDIT: Err I guess it is the HX1200 and it has 8 rails @ 40A each. I guess if you had both molex chains running off the same rail and loaded them equally then theoretically they would cut out at 20A. Still seems high for 18 gauge wire.

I don't know if there's a PSU out there with the level of protection I was talking about (which would have to cut out at probably 14 - 15A on any given 12V pin), and if there is I can guarantee you the majority of miners don't know about it.

Also not sure what kind of market there would be for that depending on the cost. This is the kind of thing each individual miner should be aware of and responsible for if they care about their hardware...or their house.

Last edited by bardacuda; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:07 AM.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
500W User

Maybe each peripheral cable should have a fusible link that renders it useless when someone tries to draw 300 watts through a peripheral connection.

Maybe a PSU vendor should cater to miners by making a supply that has 24 PCIe connections, so a separate wire can be run to each riser and GPU. Maybe someone does.

It seems like there are a lot of miners who are not interested in quality and do not recognize the safety risks that they are taking.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Danke schön

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRworm View Post
Maybe each peripheral cable should have a fusible link that renders it useless when someone tries to draw 300 watts through a peripheral connection.

Maybe a PSU vendor should cater to miners by making a supply that has 24 PCIe connections, so a separate wire can be run to each riser and GPU. Maybe someone does.

It seems like there are a lot of miners who are not interested in quality and do not recognize the safety risks that they are taking.
There are some no names in China who make "Mining PSUs" but most seem to be overrated in terms of overall wattage and 12v amperage as well as lesser quality.

Likewise, it would be kind of a nightmare in terms of warranty of a PSU Manufacturer to make a mining PSU just due to the number of potential problems. Even if they adapted an existing 12v heavy design.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Official SilverStone Rep

Maybe we'll see multi +12V rail PSUs make a comeback because of this?
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Someone Ate My Websites

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverStone View Post
Maybe we'll see multi +12V rail PSUs make a comeback because of this?
If you want it to work on the American public you'll have to make it multi rail but lie and call it single rail. It'll be a blessing in disguise.
The Following User Says Thank You to turkey3_scratch For This Useful Post:
saywutrly (1 Day Ago)