jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 4 Weeks Ago
micro ATX User

Default Need some help (update PSU)

First of all, let me start by saying that even though I'm not that well knowledgeable about PSUs, I'm well concerned that they take a very important roll in the PC itself so, without getting myself to know which PSU will the the best among the others, I want you guys to choose a PSU according to my situation:

Main PC:

i5 4670K
gtx 1060 6gb
Asrock z97 extreme4
1 ssd
1hdd
5 fans.

I have to say that so far, both i5 and 1060 are undervolted ( lower consumption which gives me lower temps as a result) but im planning on gettimg them overclocked not so far from today so keep that on mind.

About the PSU, it used to have one of those green tagged Corsair CX 750M which I sold and replaced this 2017 for a Seasonic M12II 520W Evo for 64€ on Amazon.fr (yes , it was cheaper there than on amazon.es).

Study + Work PC:

gt 720(which will be eventually replaced for a PCI-powered gpu so ~75W-ish of power consumption I guess)
Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 V2
1 hdd
7 fans

Again, this PC is undervolted on the CPU but it will get overclocked, same as before. About the PSU, this PC comes from the 2nd hand market so it came with one of those awful PSUs.

Fun fact: as I'm using a HUGE Corsair Obsidian 750D, the cables are that short that the PSU itself its not attached with the screws where it should be, I had to put some stands to get the psu closer to the 4pin cpu in order to get all connected.

So, here's the situation:
I do know that the main PC is not that bad powered, maybe it is better powered than most of high end PCs that you can see on reddit/pcmr but on the other hand, I'm afraid that the working PC has had a terrible PSU so, these are my options:

-Spend 20-40€ on a 2nd hand mid-end PSU to get the working PC a better life.
-Wait for the black friday, spend 60-80€ on a much better (than the M12II) PSU and put the M12II on the working PC.

Things to keep on mind:
-The main PC is completely 1st hand so that was the one that got most of my wallet and of course, the one that I care about the most.
-The working pc was way cheaper because of the 2nd hand market and as I'm not 100% sure about its previous usage, power and temperature conditions, I can't say for sure it will keep up with me for 2 years ( I wish I'm wrong).
-As you can guess, Im looking towars the first option as I'm still a student and money is not falling from the sky.

Things that I know before hand:
-You are the guys that know the things that I'm looking for, which is information that I don't know about so I definitely will not be able to prove your facts/opinions wrong. This brings me to the point that I'm completely on your hands and you guys will be the one choosing which thing to buy.
-Yes, I know that I'm posting on an almost only PSU oriented forum so I'm guessing that you will be eager to choose the 2nd option.
-If you want to help me even deeper, here I will link you some 2nd hand spanish sites so you can see the chances with your own eyes. And please, don't expect the best information/description/photos on the posts (P.s: PSU on spanish = "fuente de alimentación" ) https://es.wallapop.com/ ---- https://www.vibbo.com/
-As English is not my main language, forgive any mistakes that I could have written, also feel free to correct them without any worries.

Thanks everyone by advance and have a nice day.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
micro ATX User

What about this one?
The seller sent me a bunch of photos and I can tell you guys that this one is exactly a "BQT S6-SYS-UA-450W". What can you tell about this one for 20€?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Flux Capacitor User

No, forget it. That one is ancient and wasn't that great when it came out.
ANd that was like 5 Years ago or something like that. So that one is old and not something one can think about, even for 20 bucks...
Old/used PSU are just way to expensive for what you get..

The cheapest one you might look at is a 430W Xilence Performance A+, not A and especially not C.
Or be quiet Pure Power 10, 400W or 500W.
Maybe Cooler Master MWE Bronze, if the price is right.

But the one mentioned here are also better than your S12II
Well, the Xilence not that much...
Old 4 Weeks Ago
ssssssmokin'

Thanked 1,114 Times in 735 Posts

Cooler Master MWE Bronze isn't something I would recommend, MasterWatt is more interesting and should only be around 5 dollar/euro more in case of the 450W and 550W versions. Quality of the Xilence Performance A+ is also quite low, for only a few dollar or euro more you can get a something that is clearly better.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
Cooler Master MWE Bronze isn't something I would recommend, MasterWatt is more interesting and should only be around 5 dollar/euro more in case of the 450W and 550W versions.
What's the difference??

Cooler Master Lost me there tbh...
Old 4 Weeks Ago
ssssssmokin'

Thanked 1,114 Times in 735 Posts

Different platform, only 600W+ uses the same platform as the MasterWatt.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/show...565#post142565
Old 4 Weeks Ago
micro ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
What's the difference??

Cooler Master Lost me there tbh...
Below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
Different platform, only 600W+ uses the same platform as the MasterWatt.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/show...565#post142565
There are some things that I'm missing here guys...
-How come a Seasonic M12II, scored with a 9.4/10 on this website, has no protection ( whatever that means). I mean, I have seen some people tag this PSU as bullshit and even though Im not able to judge his point of view, I can't see a reason why a 9.4/10 scored PSU could become crap in just a bunch of years.
-The thing that confuses me the most is that you guys do not seem to agree on which PSU will do the job/break along the first year.

Can I have a concretre and clear answer on a PSU that I can buy for 20-45€ on Amazon.es ?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Site Founder

Thanked 1,456 Times in 900 Posts

First off, the PSU that was reviewed here back in 2013 is the M12 II EVO Edition. Not to be confused with the M12 II Bronze.

The EVO has DC to DC. The regular Bronze is group regulated.

DC to DC is better because it supports the low power sleep states since the PSU won't cross load. When the EVO was first tested here, DC to DC was not as common and CPU sleep modes were deep enough to actually require them.

Another thing about it is the topology. It uses double forward, which was quite common for the time, but LLC gives you more consistent efficiency across all loads, especially lower loads.

And there was no score against the lack of protections because that is not something that is tested in the review. Much like how the EVGA B3 didn't blow up here, but did at Tom's Hardware, the PSU didn't fail, but it wasn't pushed beyond it's spec. If it was, it may have blown up.
NeedAChange (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
First off, the PSU that was reviewed here back in 2013 is the M12 II EVO Edition. Not to be confused with the M12 II Bronze.

No, not 520/620W,
Those are identical to the normal M12II Bronze and S12II Bronze.

750W and above of the M12II EVO are indeed DC-DC as you mentioned.
And Corsair used them for some of their TX, if I remember correctly.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
micro ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post

DC to DC is better because it supports the low power sleep states since the PSU won't cross load. When the EVO was first tested here, DC to DC was not as common and CPU sleep modes were deep enough to actually require them.

Another thing about it is the topology. It uses double forward, which was quite common for the time, but LLC gives you more consistent efficiency across all loads, especially lower loads.

And there was no score against the lack of protections because that is not something that is tested in the review. Much like how the EVGA B3 didn't blow up here, but did at Tom's Hardware, the PSU didn't fail, but it wasn't pushed beyond it's spec. If it was, it may have blown up.
Sorry if I sounded kind of rude, I swear that's not what I want, even on this situation where Im just a newbie on the "subject" as well as on the forum itself.

So according to what you said, the Evo edition should be (a tiny bit?) better than the regular bronze edition. Not to mention that on the 2013 Evo Edition review, you pointed out that the only not so good things about this psu were the Sata cables being kinda short and the user manual guide (not that I need it to get the PSU installed ) so Im guessing that the only thing left is the lack of protection. Could you please tell me what I am exposed to while I have a non-protected psu like this one?

Again, sorry if I got to annoy you or something, Im not one to judge the methods of your reviews so, my apologies.