jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 03-12-2013
1kW User

Default Could someone help out on this?

This guy is wondering about a failed PSU in a security system:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/....html#10484875

It's beyond me, all I can guess is that the presence of a 20-pin connector means that it's a fairly standard PSU.

If you want to reply here I'll link back to this thread.
Old 03-12-2013
Naughty

Need a pic of the 20pin plug with all the wires going into the connector visible. It's not a standard ATX PSU but it's output is 99.999% certain to include 12V, 5V and 3.3V.

The only "problem" is tailoring the 20pin cable. One could, in theory, "transplant" the possibly proprietary 20p cable to a standard PSU's internals, then fitting the internals into the DVR.

The owner needs to measure the distance between the screw holes, and measure the PCB dimensions, so as to determine if there can be found a suitable donor ATX/SFX/TFX/whatever PSU.
Proximon (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013
1kW User

Thanks, that's pretty much what I was thinking but, as always, you are very helpful.
Old 03-12-2013
Naughty

Looked at the connector pics, and it's most definitely a standard ATX 20pin connector, minus the -5V and the -12V wires/rails, as the DVR doesn't need them, and they'd needlessly complicate things.

This means that practically any ATX PSU will fit, electrically - it's just a matter of finding one whose internals fit physically inside.

Possibly the original PSU is a standardized open-frame triple-output (plus 5VSB) affair, similar to the ones used in medical equipment (embedded PC-based ultrasound machines, for example). If no standard ATX/SFX/TFX/etc PSU can't be made to fit, perhaps an open-frame one could be ordered? Delta makes some pretty nice ones, as do many other OEMs (LiteON, Hipro/Chicony, FSP, to name a few).