jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Software > Operating Systems

Operating Systems Troubleshooting and discussions of computer operating systems

Old 03-29-2007
Retired from Boards

Default Dell announces to ship Linux

Quote:
Computer giant Dell will start to sell PCs preinstalled with open source Linux operating systems, the firm has said. The second largest computer maker in the world said it had chosen to offer Linux in response to customer demand.

Earlier this year, 100,000 people took part in a Dell survey. More than 70% of respondents said they would use Linux.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6506027.stm

Money money money and wads of it for Dell now!

Let me guess... Ubuntu
Old 04-03-2007
micro ATX User

I think Ubuntu would be a good choice. Maybe not the best flavor for an enthusiast, but it's one of the more polished distros and the masses would have no trouble using it for typical daily activities.
Old 04-03-2007
500W User

This is only about not paying Microsoft.

I think Dell expects most people to either legitimately reuse an old version of Windows they own from a previous computer, or pirate something.

It is no coincidence that this comes at the same time as Vista shipping, which many people don't trust, and which has narrowed down license restrictions.
Old 04-04-2007
micro ATX User

That's an interesting theory, and there's probably some truth to it. However, I think the linux movement is gaining momentum and that is partially responsible for the demand. I look at it like the difference between IE and Firefox. Once people learn that popups, spyware, etc. are much less of a problem with Firefox they all want it.

What's the #1 gripe of Joe or Jane Six-pack? Their computer doesn't work, or works slowly / not like it used to. Why? Because it's infested with malware. Once they learn this completely goes away with linux, they want it. And once you tell them the price, *free*, they want it yesterday.

So yeah, I agree this is about giving Microsoft the shaft. But not just in the sense of piracy, there's also a distinct "no, we don't want your POS software on our computer" element. If this were just about not paying / piracy, then Dell would be selling computers without an OS at all.