jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 12-19-2016
micro ATX User

Default Can the PSU protect my components? Or do I need a UPS or a voltage regulator?

I've just built an expensive video editing PC, powered by a Corsair HX750i. http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=392
Problem is, I'm constantly experiencing flickering lights and displays in my apartment, and I'd be stupid to plug my new system into this chaos. So far, it hasn't damaged any of my electronics, but why take the chance?

I don't really like the idea of a UPS, since the ones that can actually provide real-time protection (online) start at 400-500, and I'm not really concerned about data losses, there are no blackouts here.

I've just read about automatic voltage regulators, like these little fellas:
http://www.apc.com/shop/uk/en/catego...e-r/_/N-e6eqkp
https://www.tripplite.com/1000w-230v...dapter~LR1000/

And some people are telling me that a good quality power supply, like the Corsair one I've got can be just fine and dandy. Still, some other ppl are saying that it's not okay, and the power supply will slowly "sacrifice" itself, going so far to say that it will slowly degrade everything.

Long story short, I'm quite confused right now.
Thank you.
Old 12-19-2016
Site Founder

Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,172 Posts

If you're only having brown outs that make the lights flicker, but the PSU stays on, then there's nothing happening to your computer parts and your PC isn't "slowly sacrificing itself".

The PSU has a "bulk cap" that holds enough charge to keep the PSU live. If there's a brown out, this cap discharges slightly, but that's what caps do.

The only part of a PSU that can "sacrifice" itself is if there is a lightning strike. There is a fuse and an MOV that, if there's a big enough spike, can blow rendering the PSU useless.

Now to the idea of a UPS.... Why in the world do you think you need an online UPS as opposed to any other kind of UPS (line interactive)? As long as the line interactive UPS's switch over time is shorter than the PSU's hold up time (they typically are), the UPS is going to work.

Then again... if you're only experiencing brown outs and no black outs with no data loss, I can see why you would not want to bother with a UPS.

AVR's are great for stabilizing mains voltages. Think of them as beefed up power strips. The ones you listed are quite large, though. Unless you're planning to plug a lot more than just your PC into them.

Rest in peace Joerg Theissen, aka "GI Joe"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jonnyGURU For This Useful Post:
Cyrix (12-19-2016), ehume (12-20-2016), sith'ari (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016
1kW User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
AVR's are great for stabilizing mains voltages. Think of them as beefed up power strips. The ones you listed are quite large, though. Unless you're planning to plug a lot more than just your PC into them.
Excuse me, but AFAIK AVRs are bullshit. PC PSUs like the OP's ones don't need this, since they can work with any input voltage between 90 and 265 V.

If the voltage input falls below 90 V, it's unlikely an AVR will be capable of correting this in sufficient time. AVRs are usually very slow, at the point of the response time of their relays can be even greater than the PSU's hold-up time. Even worse, every time do a switch, they leave the PSU with no AC input for some miliseconds, nad also generate big voltake spikes (which go directly to the PSU).

And if the voltage input goes greater than 265 V, MOVs are supposed to enter in action.

BTW, it's interesting to notice some Corsair PSUs here on Brazil are being commercialized with this warning on the box:

In a free translation to English: Don't plug this PSU on an AVR. Risk of damages to the products and loss of warranty.
The Following User Says Thank You to Internet For This Useful Post:
ehume (12-20-2016)
Old 12-19-2016
80+ Bronze FTW!

Jonny is correct a psu has it's own components to ease some of the light spikes,brownouts.

However if it they are very large spikes then yes a surge protector for your psu, and data lines would be ok,
an AVR cleans out the power so it is smooth power delivery, and a better sine wave. It should work out fine however i've never seen anyone use an AVR for a computer.

(we had (and avr) one installed where i work for the phone system cause the power there is dirty or very unstable) and plugged into a surge supression device, unfortunately the surge protec. device blew and i mean blew cause the MOV's couldn't take any more and caught fire.

That is one tradeoff of surge protectors that use blue MOV's when they reach the maximum surge they take it they stop working or they go up and when they do it's with a bang. That's why i usually purchase (if i want a surge protec. device ) a ceramic encased one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Monster-Ext...urge+protector

If you have frequent power outages or if for example the power dips to such a level your computer turns off you could try, a UPS with a battery if you want to have more peace of mind.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cyrix For This Useful Post:
ehume (12-20-2016), jonnyGURU (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016
Site Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet View Post
Excuse me, but AFAIK AVRs are bullshit.
No. I won't excuse you.

An AVR can protect from damage that's beyond what the PSU can handle. Period. Not every PSU is infallible. And when a power strip fails, you don't know until it's too late.

Old 12-19-2016
Site Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet View Post
BTW, it's interesting to notice some Corsair PSUs here on Brazil are being commercialized with this warning on the box:

In a free translation to English: Don't plug this PSU on an AVR. Risk of damages to the products and loss of warranty.
Corsair doesn't put that sticker on the box. I'm curious who is putting that on the box.

Old 12-19-2016
80+ Bronze FTW!

Quote:
No. I won't excuse you.

An AVR can protect from damage that's beyond what the PSU can handle. Period. Not every PSU is infallible. And when a power strip fails, you don't know until it's too late.
I have to agree with jonny an AVR is good if you have shitty power quality, and it depends a lot on power line quality,transformer's age,switching station's age,etc

I still remember always coming to take a look at the giant 1 meter tall behemoth AVR that was in my previous job corporate offices, thanks to it when pole transformers blew or was a major brownout or lightning hit and caused a spike protected about 20000 watts,plus the telephone line(PABX) for over 28 years the business has been there.

My current job has a new PABX system ( its a 30 year old phone line - used a old Toshiba PABX), unfortunately when the surge suppressor blew it blew and caught fire (due to a massive brownout and surge at the same time) and it took the expensive system with it including the new phones we had. The company replaced it with a IPBX and installed a large AVR box which has saved the new expensive equipment several times.

I apologize for the long post, but if a retail store depends on an AVR just for phones, and bad power quality. Imagine what a standard user who (has bad power) plugs into the wall.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cyrix For This Useful Post:
ehume (12-20-2016)
Old 12-19-2016
80+ Bronze FTW!

Quote:
Corsair doesn't put that sticker on the box. I'm curious who is putting that on the box.
Could it be the local supplier/distributor?
Old 12-19-2016
Site Founder

A little background: I've lived most of my life in Florida. Lightning capital of America and frequent high winds without underground power lines. Yes... WE had crappy power.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jonnyGURU For This Useful Post:
Cyrix (12-19-2016), ehume (12-20-2016), sith'ari (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016
80+ Bronze FTW!

Quote:
A little background: I've lived most of my life in Florida. Lightning capital of America and frequent high winds without underground power lines. Yes... WE had crappy power.
Sorry i didn't know you lived in florida before, i live here as well, though our power is underground here in this area.

Last edited by Cyrix; 12-19-2016 at 03:45 PM.

Tags
hx750i, psu, ups