jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Software > General Software

General Software Troubleshooting and discussion of any computer software

Old 08-22-2011
200W User

Default Disable Smart HDD Monitoring Utility

How do you Disable SMART? I tried it in the bios. But it's locked.

I can't Access it. My Hard Disk is Samsung HD161HJ.

I haven't tried using Smartmontools yet. I don't know what command to input.

I also tried Samsung ESTool. I disabled it in EStool but I can't Exit Dos. So i have to turn off my computer. Then SMART gets enabled again.
Old 08-22-2011
micro ATX User

Quote:
How do you Disable SMART? I tried it in the bios. But it's locked.
What does your motherboard manual have to say about unlocking the BIOS - if you're the admin of this system you should have 100% access to all!

Have you tried to reset the BIOS to default settings? You may need to go as far as removing the battery but... this will set everything to default, make sure you can reconfigure the system if you have custom settings!!!
Old 08-22-2011
200W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mIkE_s_G View Post
What does your motherboard manual have to say about unlocking the BIOS - if you're the admin of this system you should have 100% access to all!

Have you tried to reset the BIOS to default settings? You may need to go as far as removing the battery but... this will set everything to default, make sure you can reconfigure the system if you have custom settings!!!
Thank you for your reply sir. How do you unlock the Bios? Sorry for the noob question.
Old 08-22-2011
micro ATX User

It would help to get some details about your system. Is this a pre-built HP, Dell, or? Desktop, laptop - model number? I'm going to assume you didn't assemble it.

What have you tried so far, how do you know the BIOS is locked? By locked do you mean password protected, if so, who set the password? When you boot the system, how do you access the BIOS, Delete key, Function (F?) key...? Is there an error message or dialog box - what is the exact message?

My advice may be a bit much for the uninitiated, temporarily removing the jumper and/or the battery from the motherboard is a bit of a chore and not recommended for a novice PC mechanic.

Honestly, I would contact the manufacturer (assembler) and find out how to get into the BIOS on your exact system, once inside simply disable Smart Monitoring.
Old 08-22-2011
200W User

Quote:
It would help to get some details about your system. Is this a pre-built HP, Dell, or? Desktop, laptop - model number? I'm going to assume you didn't assemble it.

What have you tried so far, how do you know the BIOS is locked? By locked do you mean password protected, if so, who set the password? When you boot the system, how do you access the BIOS, Delete key, Function (F?) key...? Is there an error message or dialog box - what is the exact message?

My advice may be a bit much for the uninitiated, temporarily removing the jumper and/or the battery from the motherboard is a bit of a chore and not recommended for a novice PC mechanic.

Honestly, I would contact the manufacturer (assembler) and find out how to get into the BIOS on your exact system, once inside simply disable Smart Monitoring.
Prebuilt HP Desktop. HP Pavillion a6252D to be exact.

The Hard Disk is Samsung HD161HJ.

OS = WINDOWS 7

I can access the BIOS by pressing F10. My problem I think is in the Hard Disk or the SMART Hard Disk Monitoring Tool. Every time a start up my computer, It says, "Hard Drive is Imminent". I wanted to disable SMART so I won't get this error every time I start my computer. I already backed up my files in case my hard disk fails. So far the Hard disk is still in a good condition.
Old 08-22-2011
micro ATX User

I found this info @ HP... http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...ot_search#N242

I would run the available tests depending on the BIOS version number. If in fact your drive is on the way out make sure you have all your important data saved.

Btw, Smart Monitoring is hard wired into the drive so you can't do anything there, and the error message could be coming from any number of reporting tools, it looks like HP has a few run at startup - there's a Diagnostic Tools utility, SMART Support, and HP Vision Hardware Diagnostics...??? A screenshot of the dialog might help identify the reporting tool, regardless, if the message is correct you will need a drive asap - be willing to lose everything if you don't address it, disabling the message will only cause you to forget about it
Old 08-22-2011
200W User

Quote:
I found this info @ HP... http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...ot_search#N242

I would run the available tests depending on the BIOS version number. If in fact your drive is on the way out make sure you have all your important data saved.

Btw, Smart Monitoring is hard wired into the drive so you can't do anything there, and the error message could be coming from any number of reporting tools, it looks like HP has a few run at startup - there's a Diagnostic Tools utility, SMART Support, and HP Vision Hardware Diagnostics...??? A screenshot of the dialog might help identify the reporting tool, regardless, if the message is correct you will need a drive asap - be willing to lose everything if you don't address it, disabling the message will only cause you to forget about it
Thanks a lot Sir. Does updating the bios help solve my problem too?
Old 08-22-2011
micro ATX User

Quote:
Does updating the bios help solve my problem too?
If by BIOS you mean motherboard BIOS, and by problem you mean a failing hard drive then no.

Also, IMO, the only time to update a BIOS is if it fixes a problem you are having or if the added functionality is worth the risk of toasting a motherboard - a failed BIOS update can create big problems.

Now, HP mentions hard drive firmware updates, assuming one is available for your drive, and your error is a false positive (an erroneous error message ). What I would do is run a diagnostic test(s) on your drive to see what shape it's in - how old is it, how many hours running, number of bad sectors, how much free space, and so on. You may be able to move some data and mark any bad sectors so they wont be written to.

It really is difficult guessing, the only information given so far is an error message pops up, the diagnostic tool can provide specific information which when it comes to troubleshooting is crucial, otherwise were only supposing. Sadly, you can have a drive with 80% free space, zero bad sectors, 600 hrs running ready for the dumper.

SMART isn't a guarantee but it does provide real data, like hours in use, my drives are nearing 43000 hours, running mostly 7/24 so you can bet I've moved important data and planning on a drive replacement soon.
Old 08-22-2011
200W User

Quote:
If by BIOS you mean motherboard BIOS, and by problem you mean a failing hard drive then no.

Also, IMO, the only time to update a BIOS is if it fixes a problem you are having or if the added functionality is worth the risk of toasting a motherboard - a failed BIOS update can create big problems.

Now, HP mentions hard drive firmware updates, assuming one is available for your drive, and your error is a false positive (an erroneous error message ). What I would do is run a diagnostic test(s) on your drive to see what shape it's in - how old is it, how many hours running, number of bad sectors, how much free space, and so on. You may be able to move some data and mark any bad sectors so they wont be written to.

It really is difficult guessing, the only information given so far is an error message pops up, the diagnostic tool can provide specific information which when it comes to troubleshooting is crucial, otherwise were only supposing. Sadly, you can have a drive with 80% free space, zero bad sectors, 600 hrs running ready for the dumper.

SMART isn't a guarantee but it does provide real data, like hours in use, my drives are nearing 43000 hours, running mostly 7/24 so you can bet I've moved important data and planning on a drive replacement soon.
I see. Mine says "Hard Drive is Imminent" I haven't tried the Diagnostic Tool yet. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. God Bless You
Old 08-22-2011
micro ATX User

Quote:
Mine says "Hard Drive is Imminent"
When does the error message show up, during boot up, flying by as a quick DOS-like message, or after the system is fully booted to Windows 7? Can you get a screenshot of the error message? Does the message box have a title, can you click for more information which might open up to a menu?

If you can determine what program is throwing off the message, once you've run your tests on the drive, you might be able to temporarily disable messages, but you will want error messages enabled once the drive is replaced.

You might also check what programs startup with the OS, the SMART message might be from an autorun application. Also, Windows 7 has a ton of error reporting tools, you should check any log files to see if one mentions hard drive issues. A few places to look are Action Center, Compatibility Troubleshooter, Reliability Monitor, and Event Viewer.

If you do have a bad drive, once its replaced the popup should go away, but it would be nice to know what application is warning of impending drive doom.