jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 04-15-2008
Flux Capacitor User

Default Dell are now selling PSUs?

Since when did THIS happen?
Old 04-15-2008
Crazy Canuck

Good Lord.

Edit:

GOOD LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-15-2008
Flux Capacitor User

HOLY CRAP (see left hand side)!

Now for some fun: ZMOG!!!!!!!!1111111 Looks like their pricing is really out of whack.

Old 04-15-2008
Flux Capacitor User

Ok I know some places have started labeling the PC Power and Cooling PSUs as OCZ...but that Dell page SKYMTL linked, names an OCZ ModXstream PSU as a PC Power and Cooling
Old 04-15-2008
Flux Capacitor User

Yeah, I saw that. If they can sell Celerons for $800, they are probably entitled to make smaller mistakes.
Old 04-15-2008
Site Founder

Thanked 1,942 Times in 1,202 Posts

LOL.... Nothing new guys. Dell is just linked up with a tier 1 disty, probably D&H or SED judging by the selection, is using a flat markup on everything and having the product drop-shipped from whatever warehouse.

The PC Power is listed as "OCZ" because that's the way the disty lists it.

Rest in peace Joerg Theissen, aka "GI Joe"
Old 04-15-2008
500W User

I always thought the business world was strange ..

Company makes product. Some other companies buy it. Those companies resell to warehouses, which then either act as store fronts or further sell down to mini stores, where it finally reaches the consumer.
Old 04-16-2008
micro ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killy View Post
I always thought the business world was strange ..

Company makes product. Some other companies buy it. Those companies resell to warehouses, which then either act as store fronts or further sell down to mini stores, where it finally reaches the consumer.
And that's you called distribution.

Thanks to modern management theory now almost every companies only specialized on one or two skill that the core of their business so they began outsourcing if they think some skill are not their business core (remember when you guys in US called company hotline support and pick up by some India Guy or woman). Even I read UPS in US now manage the RMA for Toshiba laptop not just deliver it but also repair the laptop (yeah the UPS guy it's some kind an alien). Wipro Director even dare to say that with respectfully if Wipro goes bankrupt theres more hurt to a lot of other business than if Mc'Donalds bankrupt

Getting more good now the update say that you must keep your stock at warehouse low (even make it zero if you can). So traditional method doing business that build product from scratch and directly goes to the market is less use today in almost every product you need more cooperation with other company even in other country (a lot of ).

For Dell case they are one of biggest company that use all of the theory since the very beginning the other are Walmart. And now I know why Dell is not big in Indonesia even Walmart doesn't want start their business here. The key is distribution in other word transportation cost. The cost to make a container send from Batam (Indonesia region near to Singapore) to Jakarta is 2X cost to send the same container from Singapore to California not to count the lost because the delay with Indonesia administration process.

Last edited by vicong; 04-16-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-16-2008
Site Founder

Thanked 1,942 Times in 1,202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicong View Post
Even I read UPS in US now manage the RMA for Toshiba laptop not just deliver it but also repair the laptop (yeah the UPS guy it's some kind an alien).
Yup. UPS actually does RMA for a lot of folks. Know NCIXUS? There IS no NCIXUS. NCIX ships product across the US/Canada border to a UPS facility in Washington state. UPS then handles all of the logistics from there AND handles the RMA exchanges for anything returned. BRILLIANT!

If you think about it, it's not "strange". This of it as a company hiring a "temp". No "benefits" to pay, etc. Just tell the temp company what you need. The way Dell is doing this, all they have to pay for is someone to set up a website. The disty does all of the warehousing and shipping which costs LESS than if Dell did it themselves. Think of the real estate and manpower that takes? A disty is doing the same thing for dozens of other companies so their overhead is much lower when you average it out.

Same is true when a company "brands" another's product for sale. All marketing and advertising costs are taken out of the OEM's budget! If the OEM doesn't have a presense in the country the product is being sold in, they're also saving money on logistics and warehousing. And never mind translation of boxes, manuals, etc.

Rest in peace Joerg Theissen, aka "GI Joe"
Old 04-16-2008
micro ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
If you think about it, it's not "strange". This of it as a company hiring a "temp". No "benefits" to pay, etc. Just tell the temp company what you need. The way Dell is doing this, all they have to pay for is someone to set up a website. The disty does all of the warehousing and shipping which costs LESS than if Dell did it themselves. Think of the real estate and manpower that takes? A disty is doing the same thing for dozens of other companies so their overhead is much lower when you average it out.
Yes you're right another famous modern management theory economic of scale.

Just another ordinary blogger