jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Water Cooler > Off Topic

Off Topic Anything goes... within reason

Old 07-21-2007
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvar View Post
Does anyone else see double standards in burden of proof required for words of praise vs condemnation?

If it was to be phrased "The (product) is definitely a must not buy product. I can not think of a single reason why it would perform as needed based on one sample." it could be subject to libel, but a statement of praise, even though can lead to misleading sense of quality doesn't appear to be subject to same level of burden of proof.
that's not true, jonny has given a number of reviewed power supplies bad reviews and has made no bones about their crappiness. Even when he is given the keys to the kingdom, he doesn't blow smoke up anybody's ass just to suck up to a company.
Old 07-21-2007
Captain Wacky (later renamed "Homer")

Thanked 1,306 Times in 367 Posts

Quote:
If it was to be phrased "The (product) is definitely a must not buy product. I can not think of a single reason why it would perform as needed based on one sample." it could be subject to libel, but a statement of praise, even though can lead to misleading sense of quality doesn't appear to be subject to same level of burden of proof.
Maybe it's just me, but I fail to see why a company would want to sue for libel over a good review.
Old 07-21-2007
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I fail to see why a company would want to sue for libel over a good review.
or a bad review. Isn't that the whole point of the review process anyway? Isn't that why we read reviews before we buy something?
Old 07-21-2007
Do Not Look Into LASER w/Remaining Eye!

I realize I went a little far afield with some of my comments but I had good intentions.

I'll just say this one thing:

I have had two Antec supplies blow on me in a brief time period. I know nothing on my system could have damaged them because the system runs fine right now other than an occasionaly crash a la Windows... Now, I could have gotten all peeved and emo about it, I could have gone and bashed them big time all around the web, but after my stupid way of handling Creative's treating me like garbage I awoke and realized that I needed to measure how I handled complaints.

I am going to give Antec more of a chance down the road. I don't plan on buying any Antec products soon, but I am not going to go off all angry and slam them harshly. I am not trying to say I am any better than anyone else, heck, I have a bad temper to tell the truth, but what good does it do me to get all bent out of shape and go off half cocked with broad generalizations. "Sometimes a guy just gets picked on by the fates", as old lady Hardesty used to tell me, and she also used to always wag her finger at me and say: "Don't tempt the fates!!!" with beedy eyes. Maybe there really was something to her ideas, I don't know, but I won't bash Antec and I also just won't buy from them for a while.

If I went off on them I would only look unreasonable, right? I don't know, I think we just have to pull back, breath, and work with Ultra on this to try and see it not happen to others, that's all. I'm sure they want to know about this and won't be happy hearing that the OEM messed up that way...
System #1: DFI LP UT nF4 SLI-DR; Athy 64 s939 4800 Toledo (MKII) @ 3.01GHz w/Thermalright XP-120 Lapped & Panaflo w/Coollabs Liquid Metal compound; 2 x 1GB Team Xtreem Cronus Micron 5B-f DDR-500; EVGA 7950GT; Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum; 6prt Adaptec USB card; SevenTeam ST750Z-AF Modular supply; ASUS DRW 1608DW burner NEC 3520a burner; Seagate 7200.10 750GB SATAII HD; Seagate 7200.10 ES 500 GB SATAII HD; Excelstor 80GB SATAI HD; Coolermaster Stacker STC T01 UWK; it's modest, but paid for
Old 07-22-2007
1kW User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
Of course not. If the subject of unfavorable review can sue, then the competitor of an unfounded favorable review should be able to sue for unfair advantage, should they not?
Old 07-22-2007
Site Founder

Thanked 1,924 Times in 1,188 Posts

Quote:
...it could be subject to libel, but a statement of praise, even though can lead to misleading sense of quality doesn't appear to be subject to same level of burden of proof.
I don't think it really falls into libel at all. I'm sticking with my argument of "this is a public forum with no association to XYZ company, therefore I don't give a crap what you say about anyone" vs. "this is a forum run by XYZ company put in place to provide technical support for customers and therefore unconstructive brand bashing is not allowed."

I don't think there's any libel in what you're saying. You're a person with an opinion and you're entitled to that. I just think it lacks tact when what was stated is stated in the context of what that forum is supposed to be used for.

It's not like you had a thread removed because you badmouthed an OCZ product at a supposedly company-independent technical support forum.

Rest in peace Joerg Theissen, aka "GI Joe"
Old 07-22-2007
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Of course not. If the subject of unfavorable review can sue, then the competitor of an unfounded favorable review should be able to sue for unfair advantage, should they not?
so your freedom of speech is sacrosanct, but nobody else's is?
Old 07-23-2007
Pinball Wizard

Quote:
Does anyone else see double standards in burden of proof required for words of praise vs condemnation?
No. We beat the shit out of them either way.
Old 07-26-2007
Flux Capacitor User

I dunno about all this talk of suing, if its different in the states, but here, lawyers ( we call them solicitors ) aren't interested in libel unless you have megabucks, so in reality, you can pretty much say what you want with little redress or fear, apart from moderator removal.

so go ahead, libel all you like, they can't and won't do anything, they have to pay a fortune to even commence proceedings to start with, and generally don't, so sadly, you can wreak havoc, wreck someones reputation, but if its a touchy subject like sex bias or other, you get jumped on, strange world, someone got prosecuted here for joking a cops horse looked gay, and peaceful demos, but thugs ruin peoples lives and nothing gets done, if you even suggest the slightest thing about a minority/gay/disabled/women ...ie if you are a genuine christian group with genuine concern over morality and practises ( or even smoke in a private car park), you are lynched, its an unjust disproportionate place now, everyone is snooping and telling tales, trying to get you into trouble for nothing, its nasty and malicious, its pretty much saddam/hitler private police territory, and much the worse for it, better in the 1950s morality,

the uk is teetering on the brink of complete and major social/societal collapse, its really disparate and fractured beyond belief now( its gradually becoming known that not all muslims are terrorists, but currently, all probable terrorists will be muslims, but sadly, they are even checking/confiscating old womens baggage en mass, but such suggestions scare them to death)...too much time, money and independance on peoples hands in some ways, one day they will realise how much they need decent community spirit that's long gone
nothing better to do than cause trivial trouble, whilst real nasty crimes are ignored, all the above is in context of real events that may not be known to outside readers

as it happens, I believe there is something in the constitution about if you don't like the president, you can shoot him? dunno what the feds would have to say tho

Last edited by ianm2; 07-26-2007 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-26-2007
Pinball Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianm2 View Post

as it happens, I believe there is something in the constitution about if you don't like the president, you can shoot him? dunno what the feds would have to say tho
Not so much.