jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Water Cooler > Off Topic

Off Topic Anything goes... within reason

Old 05-21-2007
Flux Capacitor User

Default Used car suggestions...

It looks like I'm going to be buying a used car in the next couple of months, and I know that I have two priorities... reliability and gas efficiency. It's going to be a little commuter car to get me from work, school, and home without braking the bank on gas prices.

I was originally thinking about going with Honda, maybe a civic, but I'll be damned... a used one costs a smidgen under a new freakin' car! sheesh, talk about resale value...

So then I went to check out Toyota... I drive my girlfriend's toyota corolla around, and it's a good little car. '98, 130,000 miles, but runs just fine. Gets 35 to the gallon too. Unfortunately, Toyota is suffering the same fate as Honda, although not as bad.

I was considering Kia, but I dunno...

Any suggestions for a manufacturer to go with?
Old 05-21-2007
1kW User

Well if I had money
tell ya what I'd do
Go downtown and buy a Mercury or two

But, I can't be of much help. I haven't had to buy a car in years. My current car, a Honda, was given to me with 85K on it and has been a champ.
Old 05-21-2007
Pinball Wizard

In general domestics have lower resale value. Though my current daily car has ~185k and is a domestic.
Old 05-21-2007
Puerto Rican Master

Please Please don't buy a Volkswagen. Buy a Bicycle save on gas and Insurance
Old 05-21-2007
Flux Capacitor User

I'm afraid that a 60 mile round trip each morning on a bicycle wouldn't work out Bori...
Old 05-21-2007
1kW User

Motor-sickle time!

- JT
Old 05-21-2007
Site Founder

Thanked 1,923 Times in 1,187 Posts

A friend of mine has been looking for a while.

He looked at some older stuff, but then realized that buying a car with ZERO warranty is not necessarily a good idea.

He then looked at some year or two old cars that were still under warranty. Funny thing is, he found that the cars he really liked had such a great resale value that he wasn't really saving much money.

He said he could get a new Hyundai with a factory rebate for just a little more than a used one. Only the new one has a full warranty and no miles.

If you know you can't afford something new or something used with a warranty, then get an American car or an early 80's VW. Something that can be obtained cheap, you can get cheap parts for and is easy to fix with a roll of tape and some bubble gum.

Rest in peace Joerg Theissen, aka "GI Joe"
Old 05-21-2007
1kW User

I really, REALLY suggest to try and get a new car, even if it's something like Toyota Yaris. Save on something else (stop going to restaurants and instead eat only Ramen noodles ) and instead enjoy a free warranty, a free "new car" smell, and a calming sense of knowing that nobody did anything nasty inside (well, technically a dealer could do that but it's highly unlikely)
Old 05-22-2007
1kW User

Where in the country are you located, and what is your budget?
If you can find a Toyota Camry with a blown engine or smoking real bad you can pick 'em up for nothing.....and the repairs can be economical if you are handy with tools....If it is just smoking.....pull the head and have it worked....if you are close enough I'll do it for you....pull the pan.....30 minutes work....and pop out the pistons and re-ring it....9 out of 10 times they don't need to be bored. New timing belt and water pump hoses and belts and drive the wheels off it. If the motor is blown.....I can rebuild it usually for around $1400(out of the car) and you can get a low mileage (under 30,000) engine forme places like Pacific engine for about $650.

They key to getting the value out of a good running used car is to have it serviced before you start using it every day. Replace the hoses, belts, thermostat, radiator cap, and flush the radiator and you will pretty much prevent the number one killer of high mileage cars...overheating.If you do the work yourself...make sure you take it to a shop and have them pressure test the cooling system....if it won't hold 16 pounds for at least half an hour.....you have a problem and need to find out where.
Old 05-22-2007
Captain Wacky (later renamed "Homer")

Thanked 1,306 Times in 367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTa View Post
Any suggestions for a manufacturer to go with?
K car from the 80's or early 90's... dirt cheap to buy, easy on gas, parts can be found just about anywhere without costing a fortune. Doesn't even have to be a Reliant... Chrysler put out a ton of cars around then based on that platform. Not hard to learn to fix by yourself, either.

I'm driving an '88 New Yorker Landau right now... extended K body, V6, 31mpg highway. Buying an '89 next week to replace it since Mom wants it for herself and is willing to pay me for it

Only thing to watch out for is the transmissions on the V6 models after 1989 - they went four speed computer controlled then, and those don't like abuse. I'd have any car so equipped scanned by a tranny shop or dealer to insure the health of the tranny before committing to buy. I'd stay away from the 3.0 in terms of engines (oil leaks and oil burning are common problems with them, and they have a timing belt to replace every so often), but for the most part engines are pretty reliable, especially the 3.3 and 3.8 V6.

The turbo K based cars like the LeBaron GTS are rumored to be a blast to drive, and are still great on gas. I've seen quite a few reports of them blowing the doors off cars nobody expects them to beat

Last edited by Oklahoma Wolf; 05-22-2007 at 09:44 AM.