jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Water Cooler > Off Topic

Off Topic Anything goes... within reason

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2016
Silencer & heathen relic of a human ( by OW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
I was thinking the same thing. They can't keep up with EVGA demand and now they want to launch a price leading Platinum product? Can't see how they can do it unless they outsource, or they've built a new factory that we don't know about.
Another "paper launch" from our dear SF?
Old 08-29-2016
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
Because a RM450x doesn't exist and because for most people 450W is enough for their single GPU game PC, you can compare the RM550x with the Platinum King 450W. Which makes the difference more then 8 euros.
Market for 450W units is quite small. Those who constantly annoy me with quality low-power units want something in the quality of RMx but <350 W. For them even the 450W version offers nothing at all.

This particular model may get some buyers, but those 550W and 650W do not really seem that much interesting in any way to me. Just another generic units in a market full of them. Anway, I'll ask about them when my CK contact gets back from some gaming action they are present at. Maybe I'll be surprised, who knows.
Old 08-29-2016
ssssssmokin'

Thanked 1,355 Times in 885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemot View Post
Market for 450W units is quite small.
That's because 99% of the people don't know what they're buying, doesn't change anything for the people who do. 99% of the people would buy a 550W, 650W, 750W or even more watts PSU for a PC with a socket 1150/1151 Core i5 or i7 and one single GPU graphics card without overclocking, even if 99% of those people would have been fine with a good 450W PSU.

Quote:
Those who constantly annoy me with quality low-power units want something in the quality of RMx but <350 W. For them even the 450W version offers nothing at all.
Well there is a Seasonic G-series 360W, not that good of course, but it offers good quality, good performance, relative high efficiency for a relative low price.

Quote:
This particular model may get some buyers, but those 550W and 650W do not really seem that much interesting in any way to me.
550W is there for people who have a graphics card with a high power consumption and OC a little or a lot.

And yes if everyone would know what they were buying the 650W version would just sell bad because not many people have two graphics cards, a dual GPU graphics card, or just overclock a AMD or Intel octocore CPU to the max and are using a high-end graphics card with a power consumption of 350W with overclocking.

But that's not how it works, so the 650W version will probably sell fine.
Quote:
Just another generic units in a market full of them.
It's way cheaper then any other 80PLUS Platinum PSU here and even most 80PLUS Gold PSU cost more. Even some 80PLUS Bronze PSU cost more. So not just another generic unit, but a great choice for people who are looking for a good PSU that should last as long as their game PC it's gonna power. 7/8 years shouldn't be a problem for a PSU like this. More then 10 years probably is, but not everyone keeps the PSU that long.
Old 08-29-2016
Flux Capacitor User

As long as the price is right, we may have a winner here.
Old 08-29-2016
was here for PSUs, now for the jokes

Winning, winning, winning!
Old 08-29-2016
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Don't think the Golden Green was THAT great, the price was not the best for the results it showed.
It was...
The price was pretty good and it showed what Super Flower was capable of...
Here in Germany it didn't sell that well because of Holger F. and Superflower itself. Now that they are at Caseking, it's a different story...

Quote:
The Platinum efficiency is nice, but with fixed cabling, 80 Euros is not that great. In here it will cost even more, at least 10 % as usually.
You compare a Gold efficiency PSU with a Platinum one?! SRYSLY?!
It's the cheapest, decent Platinum PSU on the market!!

Why do you have to bash this unit and not value the thing it does?!

Quote:
Really, according to Geizhals, at less than 8 Euros more you can get RM550x. Slightly lower efficiency, but who cares when you get 10year warranty and fully-modular cabling, plus no crapxon? Is this King even semi-fanless?
Someone who wants a Platinum PSU? And what's whit the caps again?! Do you have any proof that they won't last on this particular unit?

And what's with this Semi Fanless Bullshit again?! It's just bullshit with todays units and their low RPM fans. You may want to do semi fanless if you have a crappy fan or may need a 3000rpm one for high loads - but on this lower wattage units, where you can live with a 1000-1500rpm one, it's just bullshit...
Because, if you use a high quality fan, optimized for low noise, you can live with 300-500rpm and you don't hear the fan at all...

Quote:
I mean, they are not bad, but I do not understand your enthusiasm Mask.
He may be enthusiastic because this unit is pretty good for the price and the things you may get?!

Quote:
If it had quality caps, 10year warranty and was fully modular for the price of RMx, than yeah, that would be some competition.
1. It has quality caps...
Just because they ain't japanese, doesn't mean anything...
Well, you might want a good quality one (like KZH or KZM series from Nippon Chemicon), when you want to use them at 85C with high ripple...

2. Not everyone wants a fully modular PSU. And Fully modular is something entirely different. And they already have something like that. Cost about 30€ more than this. And they call it Leadex Platinum
So why should they do the same unit again?! THAT doesn't make any sense at all!

Quote:
Now it is just another unit in a long row to consider if you do not want/could get RMx, or EVGA G2. But there is NOTHING to make in No. 1 choice.
There are other choices than those. And there are people who just want a basic unit, without any bullshit, just a good quality one...

And this one looks like the right thing for them...

I really do not understand why you have to bash every unit other than those.
There are other factors to consider, like the price for example...

Quote:
7/8 years shouldn't be a problem for a PSU like this. More then 10 years probably is, but not everyone keeps the PSU that long.
1. Not every failure of a modern PSU is cap related. There are also other things to consider. The MOSFETs for example. Or Resistors, some other miscellaneous stuff and so on...
2. Thinking back 8 or 10 years, do you really want to use such an old PSU with modern components? Especially if you keep the changed power consumption in mind...
Old 08-30-2016
ssssssmokin'

Thanked 1,355 Times in 885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post

1. Not every failure of a modern PSU is cap related. There are also other things to consider. The MOSFETs for example. Or Resistors, some other miscellaneous stuff and so on...
I never said that every failure of a modern PSU is cap related.
Quote:
2. Thinking back 8 or 10 years, do you really want to use such an old PSU with modern components? Especially if you keep the changed power consumption in mind...
I'm actually still using my 8 years old Enermax Pro82+ 625W, great build quality and performance back then, still more then OK now. And over 8 years I also wouldn't have a problem to use a PSU like the Corsair RM550x. There is a reason that it's possible to give a PSU like that a 10 years warranty. That's because the chance of failing in those 10 years is relative small for a PSU like that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:
Behemot (08-30-2016), quest for silence (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
I never said that every failure of a modern PSU is cap related.
Yeah, I know. Wasn't really meant for you

With modern designs, there are just more and more points of failures, not just the caps. Especially if you treat the caps right, even rather cheapish ones may last for a couple of years...
Old 08-30-2016
was here for PSUs, now for the jokes

Yeah but is there really a way to determine the likelihood of a stupid resistor failing? With caps we have actual data sheets.
Old 08-30-2016
Jun Fu capacitor advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey3_scratch View Post
Yeah but is there really a way to determine the likelihood of a stupid resistor failing? With caps we have actual data sheets.
Here's a datasheet for a series of resistor...
http://www.yageo.com/documents/recen...R_MFR_2013.pdf
Closed Thread