jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  


Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 11-22-2009
Travis's Avatar
Travis Travis is offline
PSU backseat driver
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 2,335
Thanks: 3
Thanked 43 Times in 26 Posts
Default

EX1000 uses a resonant topology which puts higher current stress on primary components because it's "resonant".
__________________
Engrish is my second language.
Protect your kid from e-Porno with Green Damn.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-23-2009
Hondacity Hondacity is offline
Flux Capacitor User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,090
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

85A and its 1200w? LOL naming scheme sucks...even the hx1000 is so much better than this
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-23-2009
Smirnoff's Avatar
Smirnoff Smirnoff is offline
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Norway
Posts: 684
Thanks: 19
Thanked 29 Times in 26 Posts
Default

If you peel off the label, maybe it says 1000W underneath. D:
__________________

Rig 1: Core i5 6600K - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Corsair Vengeance 16GB PC2666 RAM - MSI GeForce GTX1070 - Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD + 2TB Seagate SSHD - Corsair RM550x - Fractal Design R5 - Win10 64

Rig 2: Ryzen 1700X @ 3.9 GHz - Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 - Corsair LPX 16GB PC3200 RAM - Gigabyte GeForce 1070 - 250GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD - Corsair RM650i - Win10 64
HTPC: AMD A6-6400k - MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 mITX - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz - 3.5TB storage - Silver Power 460W passive - CM Elite 120
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-23-2009
jonnyGURU's Avatar
jonnyGURU jonnyGURU is offline
Site Founder
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: jonnyGURU forums, of course!
Posts: 14,706
Thanks: 467
Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,111 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGle1337 View Post
I wonder if it was ultra that chose the housing for this...
Why wouldn't they?
__________________
Rest in peace Mike Clements, aka "Yellowbeard"

Rest in peace Joerg Theissen, aka "GI Joe"
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-23-2009
Minerva Minerva is offline
River Rat
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 78
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wow that's pretty shitty compared to the X3 1600W. Why would they do this?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-23-2009
Zero82z Zero82z is offline
Flux Capacitor User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 1,734
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
Why would they do this?
$$$$
__________________
Main: i5 2500K@4.6GHz w/Zalman CNPS10X Performa, Intel DZ68BC, 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600, PNY GTX 470 + EVGA GTX 470, ASUS Xonar DX, ADATA S510 120GB, Samsung 1TB F3+1TB F1+2TB F4, Kingwin LZG 1kW, Lian-Li PC-9F, Dell U2212HM+S2209W, Win7 Professional.
Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, i5 2410M, 8GB DDR3-1333, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1GB, Intel X25-M 80GB, Seagate Momentus 750GB, Win7 Home Premium.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-23-2009
cypherpunks cypherpunks is offline
1kW User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 446
Thanks: 21
Thanked 42 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
EX1000 uses a resonant topology which puts higher current stress on primary components because it's "resonant".
I understand how peak currents tend to be higher because the waveform shape is sinusoidal rather than trapezoidal, but why does this produce more stress?

Most heat is generated by switching components (transistors and diodes), and in those, it's mostly switching dissipation rather than Rds(on).

A resonant topology switches at near-zero current, so there is no switching dissipation. That generally reduces stress, And RMS power is unchanged,

I'm not saying that you're wrong, just that my understanding was different and I'm confused.

I thought that lower loss was good for everything except EMI and component cost.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-24-2009
Travis's Avatar
Travis Travis is offline
PSU backseat driver
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 2,335
Thanks: 3
Thanked 43 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherpunks View Post
I understand how peak currents tend to be higher because the waveform shape is sinusoidal rather than trapezoidal, but why does this produce more stress?

Most heat is generated by switching components (transistors and diodes), and in those, it's mostly switching dissipation rather than Rds(on).

A resonant topology switches at near-zero current, so there is no switching dissipation. That generally reduces stress, And RMS power is unchanged,

I'm not saying that you're wrong, just that my understanding was different and I'm confused.

I thought that lower loss was good for everything except EMI and component cost.
In my opinion, the primary components still needs large capacity, for some headroom. Since BFG EX-1000 uses two W25NM50N's, I might be wrong (MOSFETs gets cooler so lower rated parts can be used). The reason why EX-1000's primary components look crowded, is because Andyson has used leakage inductance as series resonant inductance (Ls, or Lr), so the LLC transformer looks huge.

Considering the effect of CCM PFC stage, EMI filter can't be cutted down in an LLC power supply.
__________________
Engrish is my second language.
Protect your kid from e-Porno with Green Damn.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-25-2009
EaGle1337 EaGle1337 is offline
:/
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 173
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
Why wouldn't they?
might have been andyson's idea to do it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © JonnyGURU.com 2000 -