jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 11-21-2009
micro ATX User

Default Am I killing my HX620?

I am currently using a Corsair HX620 to power the system below.

Q9550
Gigabyte P45
Corsair 4GB DDR2 1066Mhz
Geforce GTX260
Raptor 74GB
WD 640GB
2x optical DVD
7x120mm fans

The system was fine with an older e6600 (OCed) but with the q9550 I am getting random reboots with even a 10% overclock. The HX620 is close to 2 years old and I had read that power supplies will start produce lower power over time (don't know how long).

Anyway should the 620 be able to handle this or is it time to start looking for something new? I am particularly concerned about the 12V power split across three rails, could I be maxing one of them?
Old 11-21-2009
Cranky Old Guy

The problem isn't with the PS.

Are you using the latest MB BIOS? Are the temps OK? Are you also OCing the memory along with the CPU? I would manually set the memory divider down so that the memory was running at 800MHz to avoid timing issues while OCing the CPU at first. How do you have the CPU, Memory voltages set?
SAPPHIRE HD 4670
1TB Samsung Gig drive
Rosewill Capstone-450-M R PSU
Old 11-21-2009
micro ATX User

Well that is the odd part. Everything including bios is up to date. I can run memtest, prime, or loop 3dmark for hours but occasionally during a game it will reboot or other times during boot it will error and go back to default cpu settings.
Old 11-21-2009
1kW User

If you wonder, you could try borrowing a friend's PSU to test with; there are sometimes odd interactions with particular motherboards. But that's an excellent PSU which is nowhere near its limits, so I'd think it pretty unlikely.

I'd suspect the processor (is the cooling set up properly; is there any grit under the heat sink?) before the PSU.
Old 11-22-2009
500W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphist0 View Post
Well that is the odd part. Everything including bios is up to date. I can run memtest, prime, or loop 3dmark for hours but occasionally during a game it will reboot or other times during boot it will error and go back to default cpu settings.
Your PSU is a high quality unit shouldn't have degraded significantly over 2 years of normal use - so unless you abused it horribly (i.e. constantly running at high loads and temperatures) the PSU should be fine. And with a relatively modest 10% overclock 620W should be plenty for your system.

If the errors occur during games but not benchmarks, I'd first suspect the graphics card and it's drivers. Also check your case and component temperatures: your CPU and graphics card can produce alot of heat - if your case airflow is inadaquet you could be overheating one or more components. Also double check voltages, and make sure they're set manually to sane levels. When overclocking the auto voltage settings of some motherboards will use excessive voltages, which will overheat the affected component(s) leading to crashes.