jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > General PC Hardware

General PC Hardware Troubleshooting and discussion of any computer hardware. Includes UPS's and monitors.

Old 12-05-2014
Flux Capacitor User

Fascinating info. And how do you know when it is time to replace the batteries?
Intel 4600 graphics using 1GB system memory; Samsung 840 EVO 500GB
various heatsinks (depends on what I am testing ATM); PSU: Seasonic X-460FL (fanless)
Old 12-05-2014
Banned

Quote:
Fascinating info. And how do you know when it is time to replace the batteries?
Good question. Typically it is when the power goes out and your system crashes because the batteries don't hold.

If you are lucky, you will notice instead of having 30+ minutes, you have less and less until you don't even have enough time to gracefully exit your programs and manually shut down.

APC provides PowerChute - it's monitoring software that lets you run self-tests and lets you monitor run times so you can keep track. But generally, it is up to you to remember when 3 years is up.

I have two lamps with 150 lightbulbs I plug into my UPS, then pull the UPS plug from the wall and see what happens.

If the battery shorts (instead of just wearing out), some UPS will have a fault LED.

Quote:
Quote:
That UPS uses two 12V 7AH batteries.
How do you know this. On the manufacturers website in specification section the 12VDC, 7ampere hours are not specified and the battery pack just cannot be found on Google I searched.
If you visit a battery site, many have wizards where you punch in the brand and model and they tell you. Or you might see if you can download the manual. Or just wait until they fail then open it up and look.
The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:
ehume (12-05-2014)
Old 12-05-2014
That weird furry girl they warned you about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
A "good" UPS with AVR will help shape (regulate) the sine wave into something more easily used by the devices plugged into it. In low voltage events, it will use the batteries to boost the voltage up to normal levels, and in extreme high voltage events, it will use the batteries to dump the excess voltage (which batteries can absorb with ease), and/or dump the excess to ground (Earth).
AVR in most (probably all) UPSes doesn't even touch the battery. Instead, they use an autotransformer with multiple taps to change the voltage (similar principle to a variac). This image (also in the article linked earlier) shows a "4 buck, 1 boost" configuration, with the first "buck" position currently selected. Most UPSes don't have this many. For example, my Tripp Lite SMART1500LCDT has 1 "buck" and 1 "boost" tap (in addition to the "normal" position).
Old 12-05-2014
Seriously Serious!

Batteries lasting 7 years?. Really?.

After half a year, they lose nearly half of their capacity, at least under my usage/in my country.

2 years and they are no good and it is time to change. I dont see them storing any amount of power at year 3/4, let alone year 7. lol

Talking about lead acid. Sealed wont defy the laws of chemistry either. May last a bit long but are extremely expensive!.

Motherboard: Asus P8H67-M LE.
Optical Drive: HP 1270i.
CPU/HSF: Intel Core i5-3570/CM Hyper 212 Plus.
Ram: 2x4gB Corsair VS.

HDD: 180gB Intel SSD 330 Series, WD Blue 500gB (AAKX).

GPU: EVGA GTX 660 FTW Signature 2.
Monitor: Samsung BX2031.
Mouse/Keyboard: Razer Abyssus Mirror Special Edition/X7 G800.
Mousepad: Razer Vespula ME3 edition.
Old 12-06-2014
Banned

Quote:
AVR in most (probably all) UPSes doesn't even touch the battery.
Not "all" UPS.

With some UPS, the batteries are used to (absorb) excess voltages because they are very tolerant of that. This is often necessary with "floating" or "isolated" ground applications where the excess voltages cannot be "shunted" to Earth ground. In avionics, it is typical. And on MANY UPS, when the voltage sags (brownouts), but not enough to fully cut-over to battery backup, the batteries are frequently used to boost the voltage back up to normal.

Yes, the use of autotransformers are common too. But not always.

That said, I should have been more clear and not imply that "all" (even of the "good") use the batteries in that way.

Quote:
Talking about lead acid. Sealed wont defy the laws of chemistry either. May last a bit long but are extremely expensive!.
Not sure the point. Except for the 10 year Lithium Ions, we are only talking about sealed lead acid (SLA) batteries, as used in UPS. And the point of them being sealed is so user don't have to worry about leaking and adding fluids, and fumes - not about their internal chemistries.

As far as your power in Pakistan, I might suggest you look at your mains (hire a certified electrician if necessary) and make sure your facility is properly wired and most important, has a good, solid, Earth ground - especially to your wall outlets feeding your computer. Consider a whole house suppression system to block excessive surges and spike coming off the grid. The cleaner the power coming into the UPS, the less it (and the batteries) have to work cleaning it up.
Old 12-06-2014
Site Founder

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,028 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain rainbow View Post
How do you know this. On the manufacturers website in specification section the 12VDC, 7ampere hours are not specified and the battery pack just cannot be found on Google I searched.
http://eu.cyberpowersystems.com/prod...300epfclcd.htm

Click on the "specs" tab and scroll down to "batteries".

It's the same battery all the UPSs in my house use. I buy them off eBay for $10 to $15 a pop. Amazon for $20.

Rest in peace Joerg Theissen, aka "GI Joe"
The Following User Says Thank You to jonnyGURU For This Useful Post:
Captain rainbow (12-06-2014)
Old 12-06-2014
500W User

Great now I can go ahead and buy the UPS. I was really bothered about the batteries. Thank You very much for the help.

Last edited by Captain rainbow; 12-06-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-08-2014
Seriously Serious!

Quote:

As far as your power in Pakistan, I might suggest you look at your mains (hire a certified electrician if necessary) and make sure your facility is properly wired and most important, has a good, solid, Earth ground - especially to your wall outlets feeding your computer. Consider a whole house suppression system to block excessive surges and spike coming off the grid. The cleaner the power coming into the UPS, the less it (and the batteries) have to work cleaning it up.
Thanks but no thanks. I dont need to hire anyone. I have a brain that has a keen interest in these sort of things.

Old 12-09-2014
Banned

Quote:
Thanks but no thanks. I dont need to hire anyone. I have a brain that has a keen interest in these sort of things.
Then exercise your brain and clean up the power coming in. You can't do much about full outages, but full outages don't prematurely take out batteries.

I recommend you start by borrowing a good "megger" (Earth ground tester) and see how well your facility, then each outlet is grounded.

Also note by hiring a certified professional, he or she is responsible for doing it right. That's important in terms of liability should something go wrong and someone gets hurt, or there's a fire.
Old 12-09-2014
Seriously Serious!

Quote:
Then exercise your brain and clean up the power coming in. You can't do much about full outages, but full outages don't prematurely take out batteries.

I recommend you start by borrowing a good "megger" (Earth ground tester) and see how well your facility, then each outlet is grounded.

Also note by hiring a certified professional, he or she is responsible for doing it right. That's important in terms of liability should something go wrong and someone gets hurt, or there's a fire.
Ok. I'll make sure I take some shampoo and soap and clean the power coming in.

To OP, my answer is, no, they wont.

Last edited by Serious Sam; 12-09-2014 at 11:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Serious Sam For This Useful Post:
mdk777 (12-10-2014)