jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > General PC Hardware

General PC Hardware Troubleshooting and discussion of any computer hardware. Includes UPS's and monitors.

Old 11-22-2014
micro ATX User

Default PC restarts after loading games or being in game

or right when I launch Furmark, or a small bit of time in 3dMark..

Also in 3D Mark! 11 with the sky diver...after about 20 seconds in the beginning when the eagle shoots in front of the diver, my computer restarts.

A little back info:

I moved home fromt he Army and installed a GTX 770 Frozr edition (used to have a gigabyte 7970) and instantly I got a CPU_LED on my mobo, needless to say I tried everything from updating my BIOS to resetting CMOS to testing my memory and my CPU, ect. I went to BestBuy and bought a Corsair TX650 PSU (had a corsair 750w PSU in there, guess it went bad). Problem solved? Yes, but a new issue arrose.

If I play a game like Insurgency on Steam I can play for a little bit, same with DayZ, BF4 crashed once the map is done loading and so does 3D Mark! 11. My PC just restarts, out of nowhere. I did the Memcheck with the USB stick overnight adfter browsing the forums some here til like 3 AM. memory seems good to go. I also reformatted my SSD and have a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate.

My build:

AMD FX-8320 3.50 Ghz
2x4GB Patriot DDR 1600 (I have my BIOS settings reverted to default so I think these are running at 1333)
asus m5a99fx pro r2.0
MSI GTX 770 Twin Frozr 2GB
Corsair TX650 PSU

Even if I change my memory timing it still crashes.

Should I go back to bestbuy today and get a strong PSU? I mean this doesnt make sense to me. This PSU is 80+ so I dont see the issue here...I also ran Prime95 I got from the Toms Hardware forums that stress tests the CPU so I dont think its my CPU. I also changed power strips and even tried plugging it in directly into the socket, thats where it is now. I also tried many different driver versions, no dice...

Please help guys, I just got out of the Army and ive spent the last 2 weeks trying to get this thing back up and running, I just want to game!

Also the only other GPU I have is a old Radeon 3900 series which doesnt take connectors from the PSU. So part-wise, I dont have many options other then going back to BestBuy and returning this PSU and getting a stronger one or RMA'ing the video card...I dont have a PC I can test on...

Please help and I know its asking alot guys, thanks.

---Just tried to run Furmark....right when I hit start test I saw the screen come up and the graphics for about less than a second and my PC crashed and restarted, just like it does in-game
--My temperatures are fine...I mean I almost want to take this PSU back and get the 750w.

Im at the point where whoever can help me get this figured out I will paypal you 20 bucks or something. I am so burnt out. I just want to relax and game.

Im just thinking about how it has to be the PSU because I can play Insurgency for sometimes a few hours, but when I load a harder more stressful game like BF4 or benchmark priograms the PC just restarts...

thoughts?
Old 11-25-2014
Silencer & heathen relic of a human ( by OW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantford View Post
Should I go back to bestbuy today and get a strong PSU?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantford View Post
thoughts?
Mobo, GPU and PSU on a cardboard, just 1 stick of ram, mouse, keyboard, *hard disk* (even old, but not an SSD), no LAN/WiFi/Internet, factory BIOS settings (even if sub-optimal), fresh OS install, no Win updates, latest Nvidia drivers (not the whole bloatware, just the drivers): then re-run Furmark.
Old 11-25-2014
500W User

Is it a hard system reset or is it a blue-screen & instant restart? You can tell be disabling the auto-restart after BSoD or checking the Administrative events logs. A hard reset indicates a hardware issue, but a BSoD probably means an OS or driver issue.

It's definitely not your PSU if the new one didn't change anything, the old one was probably fine.