jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > General PC Hardware

General PC Hardware Troubleshooting and discussion of any computer hardware. Includes UPS's and monitors.

Old 11-03-2014
Site Administrator

Default Coolermaster Novatouch TKL Keyboard

Quote:
Today, we're looking at another keyboard, only the third profiled at this site. Today's example comes to us from Coolermaster, the Novatouch TKL. Where most mechanical keyboards seem to be targeted at the gamers among us, this is intended more for people who cannot seem to stop typing words and sentences. Using electrostatic capacitive switches, this very costly keyboard promises to keep writers' hands happy. We're going to see if it really does.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=400
Old 11-05-2014
Literally 1.2kW User

Indeed the topres are marvelous in fact the novatouch is really well made. It's tremendously well put together that said ... Wish I had a production sample to review :|
Old 11-06-2014
Site Founder

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,028 Posts

Not really a gaming keyboard, though.

Rest in peace Joerg Theissen, aka "GI Joe"
Old 11-06-2014
Literally 1.2kW User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
I don't want any of that "gaming" BS. I just want a nice keyboard I use for gaming and writing

Not one with a million lights that make the aurora lights look a bit washed out or one with extra macros that make it more annoying than useful or one with a wristrest that is rubber coated
Old 11-06-2014
There is no Wolfie - only Zuul

Thanked 1,160 Times in 332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLT View Post
Wish I had a production sample to review :|
As soon as they offered one and I found out what switches it had I was all over it.

That said, I think I'll make some changes to my methodology for keyboards. I hate scoring aesthetics, so I might change that section to a more "look and feel" type of deal. Looks can still play a part in that score, but I want to shove it to the back burner.

Also want to change my timeframe of use for each keyboard review. I gave this one a little over a week, and that's not long enough for me to get used to a new keyboard. Even one with these switches. I think I'll give them a full month from now on.
Old 11-07-2014
micro ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
imho, most mechanical keyboard nowdays marketed for gaming
even topre realforce (even topre naming it "realforce" kinda gaming name)

but maybe yes topre more for typist than gamer (because standard topre keyboard have variable actuation force)

if you look topre realforce lineup, they even have more expensive version (HiPro), they made keycap is really for typist http://www.topre.co.jp/products/elec...rds/index.html

but most redistro version, archsite/mousecomputer/leopod is intended for gaming, with all same actuation force (30g or 45g)

there is once in topre keyboard used in arcade, CounterStrike Neo... not sure if this released outside japan or not
this pic of it : http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/20050715/neo05.jpg
you can see it have special keycap just for the game
Old 11-07-2014
Site Founder

I wasn't really reponding to you directly, Dave... but if we're going to go down this path....

Quote:
Not one with a million lights that make the aurora lights look a bit washed out
Lighting does not a gaming keyboard make.

Quote:
or one with extra macros that make it more annoying than useful or one with a wristrest that is rubber coated
And that's your prerogative. I'm not saying the keyboard is bad because it's not a gaming keyboard. I'm simply saying it's not a gaming keyboard.

I for one use my macros and my easy to access audio controls and Windows lock key. And, you forgot to mention, the contoured WASD key caps for three finger action, which doesn't bother me at all when doing regular typing.

They're two different customers. You can like what you like and I'll like what I like. The reason for my comment was because this keyboard is Cooler Master branded, but not so much that is that Cooler Master branded it using their "gaming division" logo.

Cooler Master offers laptop stands, phone stands, tablet stands etc... a bunch of "non-gaming" product. Why try to pawn this off as a gaming keyboard? They could actually get more traction with people that just want a damn good keyboard by NOT associating it with gaming.

Old 11-07-2014
Site Founder

The lack of 10 key would bug me too. And that certainly has nothing to do with gaming.

I type and € and and way too much to do without a 10-key. I mean.. I can see doing without. Some people don't have enough space for much more than the standard 87 keys.

The irony isn't lost on me that someone that would want to be able to have a typists keyboard would be ok with not having the 10 key when a gamer would appreciate it more because it would give them more room for a larger mousing surface.