jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 04-10-2018
micro ATX User

Arrow Seasonic Prime triggered by sudden power increases

Update on replacement received: PC has been running perfect since replacement. No shut downs or reboots while multiple gaming, tabbing in and out and or watching videos while gaming. This is tested with Power Adjustment to +50% in Catalyst drivers as well. Many thanks to Seasonic for working with me and Jonny for testing on his end. Very odd I would have two Prime Units purchased from two separate times having the same issue (one platinum and the other titanium). My odds for PC build issues always amazes me.

Hey guys,

I bought the SSR-1000TD after buying the SSR-1000PD after seeing your reviews here. Love Seasonics quality but I have been having issues with my new PC build and it looks like the issue stems from this new line of PSU.

I have a Ryzen 1800X paired with a Gigabyte RX 64 Vega Liquid. No Overclocks on the system. With the platinum Prime my system would not make it past POST most the time. I thought it was the mobo at first, returned it and replaced with new. Same issue.

I stuck my 9 year old XFX Black 750W in new system. Boots fine. Works fine. Huh guess it's the PSU. Returned it. Shopped around for a bit and thought what the heck...I will go for top shelf. So I get the Titanium Prime Ultra 1000W.

Boots fine, works fine but while gaming it would randomly system crash. Sometimes complete shut off, no lights, and sometimes the PC would recover.

Low and behold Seasonic says their PSU is being triggered by sudden power increases and the safety is kicking on. Needless to say I have a top shelf product that doesn't really work - It can't handle a Vega? Total system power usage should be well under 600W. My Vega is max 395W according to HWMonitor and CPU is about 105W.

Last edited by Sunsoar; 1 Week Ago at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-10-2018
Site Founder

Thanked 1,692 Times in 1,052 Posts

Peeled your post off into it's own thread.

One thread to discuss the review. Another thread to discuss your issue with the PSU.

Sounds like a serious design flaw if Seasonic admits to it. Worth looking into further.

Rest in peace Joerg Theissen, aka "GI Joe"
The Following User Says Thank You to jonnyGURU For This Useful Post:
Sunsoar (04-18-2018)
Old 04-10-2018
micro ATX User

Thanks Jonny,

I am shipping the unit back to Seasonic today so I will update with any info I get back. I was advised that the recommendation is they send me a higher wattage unit to counter this but that doesn't make much sense to me....especially since their website shows 1000W maximum in their Prime series.

I am hoping someone has the same GPU out there to test on their Prime units. My buddy has same GPU but a Corsair PSU (750W) with zero issues.
Old 04-10-2018
ssssssmokin'

Thanked 1,282 Times in 841 Posts

It's indeed not the total power consumption. A high-end 550W PSU can already be enough without overclocking.

Do you btw use two different PEG cables? And not just one PEG cable with two connectors, like this one.

Last edited by -The_Mask-; 04-10-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-10-2018
retired reviewer

Let's wait what Seasonic rep has to say.
Old 04-10-2018
Site Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsoar View Post
I was advised that the recommendation is they send me a higher wattage unit to counter this but that doesn't make much sense to me....especially since their website shows 1000W maximum in their Prime series.
Yeah. That doesn't make much sense. Higher output capacity shouldn't solve a transient spike shut down issue.

I too would like to know if you were using one PCIe cable or two, though.

Old 04-10-2018
micro ATX User

I was using two separate PCI-E cables. Single PEG per
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunsoar For This Useful Post:
jonnyGURU (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018
650w User

Hello,

We will wait to receive the PSU first to test it and see what we can find from it. We will keep you updated asap.

Best Regards,
Old 04-13-2018
micro ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasonic Rep View Post
Hello,

We will wait to receive the PSU first to test it and see what we can find from it. We will keep you updated asap.

Best Regards,
It was delivered just a short while ago. Eagerly awaiting the testing. I'm sure it will take a few business days to hear results?
Old 04-17-2018
Site Founder

So.. I've been playing with some Vega 64's here at work (we got a bunch for the Farcry 5 launch event), and I've noticed that that card has a HELL of a power spike. Products like Kill-A-Watts can't catch it. You have to use an ammeter on a scope to see the peak power draws. You may actually be tripping OPP.

EDIT: Yeah... your card has a HELL of an overclock from the factory. You're actually exceeding 85A on the +12V rail and the PSU's OPP is shutting it down.

Modern day Seasonic PSUs have a lower OPP trip point than a lot of other PSUs. That's why your XFX works. If the spike was longer than 4ms (I'm seeing between 2 and 4ms), then the XFX would shut down as well.

Last edited by jonnyGURU; 04-17-2018 at 04:29 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonnyGURU For This Useful Post:
ehume (04-17-2018), Sunsoar (04-18-2018)