jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 08-02-2018
micro ATX User

Default Very quiet PSU around 400W for a workstation (70)

I'm building a PC that is gonna be used a lot of hours per day since it will be my main workstation (software programming).

Build is gonna have a Ryzen 2400G, B450 board and maybe 1/2 SSDs plus 1/2 3.5 HDDs. No GPU is gonna be used right now but later I'll upgrade to a 1060 6GB or similar at the time. So you can see power requirements aren't very big. I guess something around 400/450W is more than enough.

OC is not gonna be performed and main thing I want is reliability: since it's my job it costs me money when I have to buy new parts and for it to be as quiet as possible.

I bought a CX450M for a friends build and to be honest the fan is a bit loud with an annoying kind of grinding noise (similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-yju-Rv2bE ). When the room is quiet I can clearly hear it but since it's for a gaming rig, game sound overshadows it so it's not a problem.

But for my rig I really want something quiet. I'm a laptop user for many years so it should match the same very low noise of a cool laptop.

In my country (europe - portugal), it's very easy to find cooler master, corsair, lc-power, seasonic. Be quiet it's possible to get but only online. Budget is around 70 but if more guarantees me less noise then that's okay but I think it's already too much because this is never gonna be a power hungry machine.

List of a few stores with local prices:
- https://www.pcdiga.com/fontes-de-ali...%C3%A7o/37-270
- https://www.globaldata.pt/componentes/fontes/be-quiet

What brands/models are usually associated with very quiet working performances? Suggestions for my new build?

Last edited by cifroes; 08-02-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-02-2018
Site Founder

Thanked 1,924 Times in 1,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cifroes View Post
I bought a CX450M for a friends build and to be honest the fan is a bit loud with an annoying kind of grinding noise (similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-yju-Rv2bE ). When the room is quiet I can clearly hear it but since it's for a gaming rig, game sound overshadows it so it's not a problem.
Well, CX450 isn't marketed as a quiet PSU.

RM550x is.

Rest in peace Joerg Theissen, aka "GI Joe"
The Following User Says Thank You to jonnyGURU For This Useful Post:
Philipus II (08-03-2018)
Old 08-02-2018
ssssssmokin'

Thanked 1,401 Times in 918 Posts

be quiet! Pure Power 10 400W and Bitfenix Formula Gold 450W are two good and silent options for your PC.

https://www.globaldata.pt/componente...0-silver-bn272
https://www.globaldata.pt/componente...p-fm450ulag-9r
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:
jonnyGURU (08-02-2018), Philipus II (08-03-2018)
Old 08-10-2018
micro ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
be quiet! Pure Power 10 400W and Bitfenix Formula Gold 450W are two good and silent options for your PC.

https://www.globaldata.pt/componente...0-silver-bn272
https://www.globaldata.pt/componente...p-fm450ulag-9r
thanks for the tips. To be honest I didn't even know the Bitfenix brand, is that recognized as high quality?

The be quiet seems like a good cheaper option. Any comparison between the 2 to see which one is quieter?

Also it seems stock for those 2 brands is a bit flaky in my country. Any chance any of these on this other store are any good for a quiet PSU? : https://www.pcdiga.com/fontes-de-ali...%C3%A7o/37-270

Unrelated question: a bigger wattage PSU will perform worse or better for my requirement of being quieter? I know I'll never need it but there is a promo on the bitfenix 650W that makes it only 4€ more than the 450W. But I know PSUs have different efficiency at different wattages so for my relative W needs, is it better or actually worse to go 650W?
Old 08-11-2018
Naughty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cifroes View Post
thanks for the tips. To be honest I didn't even know the Bitfenix brand, is that recognized as high quality?

The be quiet seems like a good cheaper option. Any comparison between the 2 to see which one is quieter?

Also it seems stock for those 2 brands is a bit flaky in my country. Any chance any of these on this other store are any good for a quiet PSU? : https://www.pcdiga.com/fontes-de-ali...%C3%A7o/37-270

Unrelated question: a bigger wattage PSU will perform worse or better for my requirement of being quieter? I know I'll never need it but there is a promo on the bitfenix 650W that makes it only 4 more than the 450W. But I know PSUs have different efficiency at different wattages so for my relative W needs, is it better or actually worse to go 650W?
You should size the PSU for your actual needs, at least ones that will remain actual in the foreseeable future. Sure, you may gain additional headroom with a "bigger" PSU, but in most cases that means giving up low load/idle efficiency in addition to a higher up-front cost. If you realistically won't be looking to upgrade substantially in the near future (3+ years), then just get what you need now.

As for the efficiency differences at different load levels, those are getting smaller and smaller in the 20-80% load ranges. By going with a too "small" or a too "large" PSU, you're potentially falling outside of the "power plateau", which is what you generally want to avoid.
Old 08-11-2018
20W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSteel View Post
You should size the PSU for your actual needs
I'd actually get one that is twice my needs, not just because best efficiency is about midway, but mainly for long life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 450W-efficiency.jpg (15.5 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by ashiekh; 08-11-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-11-2018
Naughty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
I'd actually get one that is twice my needs, not just because best efficiency is about midway, but mainly for long life.
You do realize that graph is blown up, right? The Y-axis resolution and scope is way disproportional to the X-axis, that's done to (over-)emphasize the change in efficiency. Plus, it only shows 20-100% load, nothing below 20%.

I'm attaching a couple of graphs with a somewhat different approach to plotting efficiency vs load curve. Of course, all these are considered isothermal, otherwise temperature would've played a part as well.

Point is, between 20% and 80% load, there is a peak difference of 3% efficiency (in absolute terms), which really doesn't make that much of a difference. However, between different designs and power ratings, there can be as much as a 10% difference in efficiency in the 10-20% load range. Granted this is going to come out to about 5W power consumption difference, so probably not worth worrying about.

All in all, going from a 450W to a 650W model in the same family will yield about 10W of power consumption savings in the full load power range, and about 3-5W of consumption increase in the idle power range; for most of the relevant PSUs out there.

We should probably do a more thorough investigation into this, for both changing to a higher/lower power rating and for stepping up/down to a higher/lower 80plus rating; then make an overview grid, just to show how small the actual differences are and how much more important it is to take into account cabling, power stability, price, noise, and other qualities, when making a decision on what to buy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg efficiency.jpg (48.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg S1200EfficiencyCurve.jpg (28.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 08-11-2018
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Quote:
You do realize that graph is blown up, right? The Y-axis resolution and scope is way disproportional to the X-axis, that's done to (over-)emphasize the change in efficiency. Plus, it only shows 20-100% load, nothing below 20%.

I'm attaching a couple of graphs with a somewhat different approach to plotting efficiency vs load curve. Of course, all these are considered isothermal, otherwise temperature would've played a part as well.

Point is, between 20% and 80% load, there is a peak difference of 3% efficiency (in absolute terms), which really doesn't make that much of a difference. However, between different designs and power ratings, there can be as much as a 10% difference in efficiency in the 10-20% load range. Granted this is going to come out to about 5W power consumption difference, so probably not worth worrying about.

All in all, going from a 450W to a 650W model in the same family will yield about 10W of power consumption savings in the full load power range, and about 3-5W of consumption increase in the idle power range; for most of the relevant PSUs out there.

We should probably do a more thorough investigation into this, for both changing to a higher/lower power rating and for stepping up/down to a higher/lower 80plus rating; then make an overview grid, just to show how small the actual differences are and how much more important it is to take into account cabling, power stability, price, noise, and other qualities, when making a decision on what to buy.
I gleaned from his advice that running a PSU delivering twice the needed wattage will lengthen the life of the PSU. I derived that his concern was that low demand promoted longevity, and not efficiency.
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370X Aorus Gaming 7
RAM: 4x16GB (64GB) Corsair DPX DDR4 RAM 16-18-18-36@3200MHz, Vdimm = 1.35v
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 with 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X
SSD1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB TLC; SSD2: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB 3-bit MLC
HD: WD 500GB (old); Case: LIAN LI PC-7H Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
PSU: Seasonic Platinum 660W
Old 08-11-2018
20W User

Quote:
You do realize that graph is blown up, right?
That is why I said "mainly for long life"

Quote:
Of course, all these are considered isothermal, otherwise temperature would've played a part as well.
Temperature effects efficiently? It will effect how hard the fan works, but other than this I don't see much dependency (some but not much).

One interesting part of this site is we don't know who is the Engineer, who is the Scientist, and who is the enthusiast.

Last edited by ashiekh; 08-11-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-11-2018
ssssssmokin'

Thanked 1,401 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
That is why I said "mainly for long life"
That's only true for crappy or really low-end power supplies were you gonna load the internal components quite heavy if you load the PSU till 100%. In a high-end power supply you won't put a heavy load on the internal components with a 100% load on the PSU, because the internal components are heavily overrated.
The Following User Says Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:
ehume (08-11-2018)