jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 02-13-2007
micro ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
EDIT: Ok. Just saw your other thread. YOU are talking about the Strider. newhit is talking about the Zeus.

Try to keep up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhit View Post
Hi, confused newbie alert
To cut to the chase, I was going for a Silverstone ST85F or the Etasis ET850

I believe the model he listed is the strider 850 Also from under the hood its using one large transformer versus 2 since its a dual rail. Wouldnt that be considered different from the 750 ?
Old 02-13-2007
Site Founder

Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,191 Posts

I'm not saying the ST75F is the same as the ST85F.

Those are Striders. Made by Enhance.

The ST75ZF and ST85ZF are Zeus and made by Etasis. Same as the Etasis ET750 and ET850. There is little difference between the ST75ZF or ET750 and the ST85ZF or ET850.

There is a HUGE difference between ANY Enhance built Silverstone and any Etasis built Silverstone.

In post # 7, his last post in this thread, newhit says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhit
I seem to be finalizing my choice on the Silverstone ST75ZF version 2, with one 12v rail dedicated to the PCIe. I realize that this is different to my original choice but the design seems the best for my needs. If I am able to justify an SLI setup in the future this will be able to handle it as it's listed at Nvidia.

I was tempted by the ST85ZF, however, the 850 seems to be just a 750 with an uprated Transformer (with huge price hike relatively speaking). Why bother if the 750 is already SLI certified and easily capable of powering the latest power hungry Graphics?
ALL Etasis built units we're talking about here. No Enhance. Note the "Z" in the part number. Strider part numbers have no "Z."

He never mentioned the Strider model. You're the only one that mentioned a Strider model.

Rest in peace Joerg Theissen, aka "GI Joe"
Old 02-14-2007
200W User

Sorry, didn't mean to cause trouble.

I was merely curious about the JG review pictures which showed a lot of the 75ZF parts in the 85ZF. I'm sure Etasis and Silverstone know their transformer capabilities and cct tolerances far better than me
Old 02-15-2007
200W User

I received my ST75ZFand...................the cables are wrongly orientated

Initially I was pleasantly surprised to see that the case had a V4.0 label on it (Rev A3). But we all know from experience not to get carried away. I checked the cables and found 4 PCIe as stated around the web and at Silverstone but then noticed that all the molex cabling was on 12v4 with PCIe 1 and 2 (not dedicated to PCIe1/2). The other 2 PCIe were on 12v3 but so was the 24 pin connector. There was a 4 pin and 8 pin using 12v1 and 12v2 but so was the 6 SATA connectors. There was no 6 pin auxilliary and no manual in the box. There was a specification booklet but it related to a version 1 of this PSU (dec 05). I Have checked the German, Taiwan and US websites for any info but failed to find anything.

When powering up there was a few bad connection squeaks from the 8800GTX but i was able to run a couple of benches for testing.

The UL number shows that the unit is an Etasis box but there isn't any correlation with the cabling on that website (i might have missed something)

I dare not open the box due to warranty and so I cannot check if the cables are just incorrectly labelled but correctly connected .

It's not the end of the world but can anybody demistify what has happened here. I would greatly appreciate any help.
Old 02-15-2007
Site Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhit View Post
I received my ST75ZFand...................the cables are wrongly orientated

Initially I was pleasantly surprised to see that the case had a V4.0 label on it (Rev A3). But we all know from experience not to get carried away. I checked the cables and found 4 PCIe as stated around the web and at Silverstone but then noticed that all the molex cabling was on 12v4 with PCIe 1 and 2 (not dedicated to PCIe1/2). The other 2 PCIe were on 12v3 but so was the 24 pin connector. There was a 4 pin and 8 pin using 12v1 and 12v2 but so was the 6 SATA connectors. There was no 6 pin auxilliary and no manual in the box. There was a specification booklet but it related to a version 1 of this PSU (dec 05). I Have checked the German, Taiwan and US websites for any info but failed to find anything.
How did you confirm this? Is this just how the cables are labeled? Or what it says in the manual?

Old 02-16-2007
200W User

Quote:
How did you confirm this? Is this just how the cables are labeled? Or what it says in the manual?
The labelling on each cable set showed it as so. There was no manual in the box just a spec booklet that did not relate to the unit in my possession. As I said I cannot check this because I don't want to invalidate the warranty.
Old 02-16-2007
Site Founder

Call Silverstone?

Old 02-16-2007
200W User

Quote:
Call Silverstone?
Yep, waiting for a response as I type, should be interesting

Thanx for replying.

PS
Isn't this computer lark fun .
Old 02-27-2007
200W User

It seems my version 4 is the latest. I hope the following is of interest and thanx once again for the help from this forum.

From Silverstone..........

"Your version of ST75ZF did indeed receive a revision change with different +12V rail distributions. Below is the link to the updated file:

http://www.silverstonetek.com/downlo...75zfmanual.pdf

I also inquired our engineer in regards to why this change was made and they pointed out that +12V3 needs more power because top of the line (and upcoming) graphics cards gets up to 66W (5.5A) from the PCI-Express slot on the motherboard. So if you have two cards, the total requirement will be up to 132W (11A) just for graphics cards alone from the motherboard plus the need to provide power for an additional PCI-E connector (6.5A required). So the new version has better +12V rail distribution for the top of the line cards (8800GTX and upcoming ATI cards) than older version."

I think the message is interesting in that it gives an insight as to how some PSU makers see the load distribution compared to earlier versions (the old spec is still available on their website).
Old 02-27-2007
200W User

Sorry they just changed it, but JG's own review of the ST85ZF might help.

Also this.............

http://extreme.outervision.com/artic...e_ST75ZF_3.jsp