jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 01-04-2018
Tinfoil Hat User

Quote:
Originally Posted by breixobaloca View Post
Where is that Cybenetics report ? :O
Seems like the Cybenetics report is hidden until this PSU is released, but their graph generating feature bypasses the hidden data.
Old 01-04-2018
Transistor abuser

There was only the efficiency graph, not the entire report. I've seen this chart accidentaly when i've compared the overall efficiency of two PSU's (Corsair HX and Seasonic Prime Platinum) two days ago when i bought another PSU.
Old 01-04-2018
Transistor abuser

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Hansson View Post
^^Indeed.
And I also commonly see the misconception that PFC somehow increases efficiency, it does not.
In fact if you remove it you will increase efficiency.
The only loss would be in VA, but consumers are billed in Watts, not Volt Amperes
(And efficiency is measured in Watts, not VA).
Oh, and such a PSU could only be sold in the US, since EU has a PF requirement of at least 0.75 which such a PSU would fail.
Ain't was talking about the Power Factor Correction. I was talking about the efficiency of the circuit itself in the fight with Ohm law. Because the Ohm law is responsable for the circuit losses. Every single component in any elecyric and electronic device is striked by the Ohm law and has to fight with. Theoreticaly, any single component added to an electric device will add more resistance to that circuit wich make to lose efficiency. For this reason any component with lower resistance are better than those who have higher resistance, either we speaking about MOSFETS, coils, capacitors, diodes, resistors, relays, transformers or even the cables and PCB circuits itself.

And the AX1600i has a PF more than 95℅, why would not be allowed in EU? Also if it had 75℅ PF (just sayng) should be allowed in EU simply because there are ALOT of crappy PSU's by construction wich simply cannot dreams at AX1600 components, build quality and protections.
Old 01-04-2018
Site Founder

Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,050 Posts

If the PFC circuit is more efficient, you have more power to work with beyond that circuit and this makes the entire design more efficient overall. The product is only as good as the sum of its parts and as weak as its weakest link.

PFC tends to be one of the least efficient parts of an SMPS (barring magnetics and capacitors, of course). It can also be one of the hottest parts of a PSU (other than the main transformer in many cases), so to use GaN to both increase efficiency AND reduce size is a win-win no matter how you look at it.

Rest in peace Joerg Theissen, aka "GI Joe"
Old 01-05-2018
BuildPC Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
PFC tends to be one of the least efficient parts of an SMPS (barring magnetics and capacitors, of course). It can also be one of the hottest parts of a PSU (other than the main transformer in many cases), so to use GaN to both increase efficiency AND reduce size is a win-win no matter how you look at it.
On the other side, I assume it significantly increased the BOM
Old 01-05-2018
Transistor abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
If the PFC circuit is more efficient, you have more power to work with beyond that circuit and this makes the entire design more efficient overall. The product is only as good as the sum of its parts and as weak as its weakest link.

Exactly about that I was talking about. The PFC on the low efficiency PSU's goes hotter than to PFC in the highest efficiency PSU's. The brige rectifiers are the hottest components in the PSU along with main transformer, and a totem pole bridgeless APFC is more efficient.

So according to mathematics a 94℅ efficient PSU woud have 94℅ of the input power available at the output. The 6℅ losses are divided among the every singe component in the PSU. Let's talking about just the first stage (APFC circuit) and the final stage (after APFC, including transformer, I now it's not electrically correct but just for comparison).

In the PSU with 98℅ eff on the totem pole bridgeless APFC mean that will lose 2 watts every 100w input. The secondary would have the difference of the remained 4 watts loses. Tottaly are 6 watts loosed, divided between primary stage and secondary.

The conventional analogic PSU with 94℅ efficiency would havr the same 6 watts losses every 100w input. And will be divided the same between all the components. This would mean that if the APFC circuit would have a lets's say 96℅ efficiency, the secondary would loose only 2℅ that's mean 2 watts at every 100w..

Thats would mean that in comparison if this two designs, the digital one gain efficiency with it's bridgeless APFC, but the analogic design would gain at the secondary, and in that way are both at the same level of overall efficiency.
Old 01-05-2018
1kW User

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomegamer919 View Post
... I assume it significantly increased the BOM
According to this (whatever its worth), amongst the advantages of totem-pole PFC there is:

Quote:
" ... Lower part counts, higher power density and lower BOM cost. It uses fewer parts and has a simpler circuit: It needs only one inductor and neither SiC diodes nor AC return diodes are required ..."
Old 01-05-2018
1kW User

Quote:
^^Indeed.
And I also commonly see the misconception that PFC somehow increases efficiency, it does not.
In fact if you remove it you will increase efficiency.
The only loss would be in VA, but consumers are billed in Watts, not Volt Amperes
(And efficiency is measured in Watts, not VA).
Oh, and such a PSU could only be sold in the US, since EU has a PF requirement of at least 0.75 which such a PSU would fail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al3xand3r View Post
Ain't was talking about the Power Factor Correction. I was talking about the efficiency of the circuit itself in the fight with Ohm law. Because the Ohm law is responsable for the circuit losses. Every single component in any elecyric and electronic device is striked by the Ohm law and has to fight with. Theoreticaly, any single component added to an electric device will add more resistance to that circuit wich make to lose efficiency. For this reason any component with lower resistance are better than those who have higher resistance, either we speaking about MOSFETS, coils, capacitors, diodes, resistors, relays, transformers or even the cables and PCB circuits itself.

And the AX1600i has a PF more than 95℅, why would not be allowed in EU? Also if it had 75℅ PF (just sayng) should be allowed in EU simply because there are ALOT of crappy PSU's by construction wich simply cannot dreams at AX1600 components, build quality and protections.
I suggest you re-read my post again because you completely misunderstood it.
The short version is: having no PFC circuit would give the best efficiency.
Al3xand3r (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018
Transistor abuser

Quote:
I suggest you re-read my post again because you completely misunderstood it.
The short version is: having no PFC circuit would give the best efficiency.
Yes, I was totally outside (was tyred). Sorry.

You are right about the PFC
Old 01-05-2018
Site Founder

Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomegamer919 View Post
On the other side, I assume it significantly increased the BOM
Nope. Not at all.

Rest in peace Joerg Theissen, aka "GI Joe"