jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  


Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-19-2016
turkey3_scratch's Avatar
turkey3_scratch turkey3_scratch is offline
was here for PSUs, now for the jokes
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 1,264
Thanks: 326
Thanked 223 Times in 156 Posts
Default Why PSUs are Sent from the Company for Review?

I was wondering why PSUs for most reviews where they're not bought off the shelf are sent directly from the PSU company. Obviously, cherrypicking then is a major possibility. Why can't the larger companies like Tomshardware/TPU, for instance, afford to buy off the shelf? HardOCP does it sometimes. I know Jonnyguru can't afford that. But, instead, wouldn't it be better if contact was made with the PSU company, and then they would buy the PSU off the shelf, send the bill to the PSU company, and then the PSU company would provide compensation for such off-the-shelf purchase? And this way no cherrypicking can happen ever.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turkey3_scratch For This Useful Post:
Journeyman (11-21-2016), sith'ari (11-20-2016)
  #2  
Old 11-19-2016
Spectre Spectre is offline
Pinball Wizard
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Moderator
Posts: 4,101
Thanks: 16
Thanked 99 Times in 63 Posts
Default

Some vendors will do this, some will have a retailer drop ship to you, but some absolutely refuse to send you un screened samples because they claim it would be too difficult to send you unscreened non reviewer prepped samples. Keeping two product streams they claim is easier than one product stream and simply pulling a random product. So, you're stuck buying products which most people can't afford to do. You also can't make launch dates other than by getting samples from the vendor.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-20-2016
quest for silence's Avatar
quest for silence quest for silence is offline
Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Italy
Posts: 3,353
Thanks: 1,037
Thanked 486 Times in 421 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
Some vendors will do this, some will have a retailer drop ship to you, but some absolutely refuse to send you un screened samples because they claim it would be too difficult to send you unscreened non reviewer prepped samples. Keeping two product streams they claim is easier than one product stream and simply pulling a random product. So, you're stuck buying products which most people can't afford to do. You also can't make launch dates other than by getting samples from the vendor.
Was your reviewed Seasonic Prime 850W Titanium either a press sample or a retail sample?
__________________
Best, Luca
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-20-2016
tinpoint's Avatar
tinpoint tinpoint is offline
PSU Editor TweakPC.de
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 372
Thanks: 88
Thanked 164 Times in 78 Posts
Default

Your note is not new and i know Robert bought Samples for Reviews from time to time, graphic cards, SSDs... and and not only the Prime Titanium.

one Problem and not only in PSU Part is "topicality"

If you wait until the Produkt is on the Market you are late, very crazy in this part are graphic cards.

But itīs an general press problem^^

"Nothing is older than a Newspaper from yesterday's"


Quote:
And this way no cherrypicking can happen ever.
Are you sure?

And whats is if you do it all the time do you donīt Think that companys that do " cherrypicking" can not coordinate this little part

You have to buy it anonymously....
__________________
best regards
Tinpoint
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-20-2016
Behemot Behemot is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: 50°4'53.169"N, 14°23'30.699"E
Posts: 1,578
Thanks: 90
Thanked 249 Times in 183 Posts
Default

Or go shop blindly, in that case they don't have the time to get anything special for you. You get it right from the shelf.

On the other hands every company is trying to save money so in graphics you usually just got a card which was used several times already. Heard Seasonic is also doing it with the Primes this time. Hope it does not mean the end of the happy times?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-20-2016
ehume's Avatar
ehume ehume is offline
Flux Capacitor User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,202
Thanks: 849
Thanked 103 Times in 90 Posts
Default

OEM marketing departments send what they have. And what they have is what the company is pushing ATM.
__________________
up from the basement:
CPU: Core i7 8700k, HT enabled, all 6 cores OC'd to 4.8GHz, Vcore = 1.24v
Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15 with one NF-A15 1500 RPM PWM fan
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370X Aorus Gaming 7
RAM: 4x16GB (64GB) Corsair DPX DDR4 RAM 16-18-18-36@3200MHz, Vdimm = 1.35v
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 with 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X
SSD1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB TLC; SSD2: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB 3-bit MLC
HD: WD 500GB (old); Case: LIAN LI PC-7H Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
PSU: Seasonic Platinum 660W
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-20-2016
Orion's Avatar
Orion Orion is offline
Tinfoil Hat User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 914
Thanks: 306
Thanked 626 Times in 291 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemot View Post
Or go shop blindly, in that case they don't have the time to get anything special for you. You get it right from the shelf.

On the other hands every company is trying to save money so in graphics you usually just got a card which was used several times already. Heard Seasonic is also doing it with the Primes this time. Hope it does not mean the end of the happy times?
Seasonic would send Primes that were used by somebody else already? That doesn't sound plausible at all. They can afford sending a brand new unit to get the best scores.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-20-2016
turkey3_scratch's Avatar
turkey3_scratch turkey3_scratch is offline
was here for PSUs, now for the jokes
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 1,264
Thanks: 326
Thanked 223 Times in 156 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpoint View Post
Your note is not new and i know Robert bought Samples for Reviews from time to time, graphic cards, SSDs... and and not only the Prime Titanium.

one Problem and not only in PSU Part is "topicality"

If you wait until the Produkt is on the Market you are late, very crazy in this part are graphic cards.

But itīs an general press problem^^

"Nothing is older than a Newspaper from yesterday's"




Are you sure?

And whats is if you do it all the time do you donīt Think that companys that do " cherrypicking" can not coordinate this little part

You have to buy it anonymously....
PSUs don't have big releases like GPUs. People aren't getting overhyped by a PSU release. An yes, there won't be cherrypicking. if you go into a Microcenter and buy it off the shelf and get the PSU company to pay for it how could that be cherrypicked?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to turkey3_scratch For This Useful Post:
tinpoint (11-21-2016)
  #9  
Old 11-20-2016
Spectre Spectre is offline
Pinball Wizard
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Moderator
Posts: 4,101
Thanks: 16
Thanked 99 Times in 63 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Seasonic would send Primes that were used by somebody else already? That doesn't sound plausible at all. They can afford sending a brand new unit to get the best scores.
Yes, that seems odd. Vendor provided review samples don't go back. Many reviewers sell them. We use them internally for other projects, recycle them, or they go out to readers during the big give away we do every few years when we clean out the storage units.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-20-2016
-The_Mask-'s Avatar
-The_Mask- -The_Mask- is offline
ssssssmokin'
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 4,937
Thanks: 352
Thanked 1,428 Times in 938 Posts
Default

I've seen it by graphics card before that they reuse samples for different websites. Could also be happening with power supplies of course, as long as the reviewer doesn't open the power supply.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © JonnyGURU.com 2000 -