jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  


Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 06-20-2016
mdk777 mdk777 is offline
Flux Capacitor User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,391
Thanks: 4
Thanked 84 Times in 74 Posts
Default

Quote:
while 25W is 100% more than 0W.
actually it is 1x, 2x, 50x, and also 100x more than zero.

But hey,

we digress.

Quote:
you read the text of the article, all of your questions, comments, concerns were addressed in it.
again you fail logic 101.

Obviously, since your reader(s) bother to post with some constructive criticism...all their questions and concerns were indeed not addressed.!!

I understand if you just don't care; but you can't make something true by the power of your ego and bluster.


READER: I wished this was included
AUTHOR: You don't need that

READER: Yeah, I don't "need" to read your article...just letting you know what I would like to see.

AUTHOR: Too bad. I know better.
READER: mmmkay...good to know...sure not to visit your reviews ever again.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mdk777 For This Useful Post:
Behemot (06-20-2016), quest for silence (06-20-2016)
  #22  
Old 06-20-2016
quest for silence's Avatar
quest for silence quest for silence is offline
Silencer & heathen relic of a human ( by OW)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Italy
Posts: 3,353
Thanks: 1,037
Thanked 486 Times in 421 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
actually it is 1x, 2x, 50x, and also 100x more than zero.
I stand corrected, thanks a lot!
__________________
Best, Luca
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-20-2016
Behemot Behemot is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: 504'53.169"N, 1423'30.699"E
Posts: 1,578
Thanks: 90
Thanked 249 Times in 183 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
READER: Yeah, I don't "need" to read your article...just letting you know what I would like to see.
Agreed, I chose this option a while ago. When updating my czech translation of PSU review database and there are other reviews covering such unit, I also remove links to that website.

Just vote with your purse instead of barking on a tree.

Luca: yeah, its one of those cases of "converging to infinity"-times more

Last edited by Behemot; 06-20-2016 at 10:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-20-2016
rafal_iB_PL rafal_iB_PL is offline
Flux Capacitor User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,654
Thanks: 102
Thanked 168 Times in 150 Posts
Default

Quote:
actually it is 1x, 2x, 50x, and also 100x more than zero.
Actually, that would be if you compared two zeros. If you compare zero to positive non-zero, non-zero is undefined times more.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-20-2016
mdk777 mdk777 is offline
Flux Capacitor User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,391
Thanks: 4
Thanked 84 Times in 74 Posts
Default

yeah, thought I covered that with the multiple exponentially increasing examples...

But hey, a dead horse can feel no pain, so let the beating continue !!!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-20-2016
Behemot Behemot is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: 504'53.169"N, 1423'30.699"E
Posts: 1,578
Thanks: 90
Thanked 249 Times in 183 Posts
Default

Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-06-2016
Spectre Spectre is offline
Pinball Wizard
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Moderator
Posts: 4,100
Thanks: 15
Thanked 98 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
actually it is 1x, 2x, 50x, and also 100x more than zero.

But hey,

we digress.



again you fail logic 101.
No, your fallacy does not make it "you fail logic 101". Your "logic" is built upon the faulty premise that the customer is always right. Faulty premise on your part results in faulty logic on your part.

Quote:
Obviously, since your reader(s) bother to post with some constructive criticism...all their questions and concerns were indeed not addressed.!!
That relies on the faulty logic that the individual read what was posted. Look back at the exact question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
Spectre, how come didn't you make your usual comparisons in the various testing summaries (trails this, best that, ends mixed with)? Just because of the Silverstone titanium badge?
That was the question. Why was it not compared.

And here was the answer IN THE TEXT OF THE ARTICLE:

So, quite literally the question was answered in the text.

Quote:
I understand if you just don't care; but you can't make something true by the power of your ego and bluster.
I'm not making it true by "power of your ego and bluster" it was written in black and white; I didn't have to say anything to help people out. What I posted was already true before I posted, I was doing a favor by reiterating it since it had not been read.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-07-2016
quest for silence's Avatar
quest for silence quest for silence is offline
Silencer & heathen relic of a human ( by OW)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Italy
Posts: 3,353
Thanks: 1,037
Thanked 486 Times in 421 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
I didn't have to say anything to help people out.
So, broadly speaking, what's the scope/purpose of a review?
__________________
Best, Luca
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-07-2016
turkey3_scratch's Avatar
turkey3_scratch turkey3_scratch is online now
was here for PSUs, now for the jokes
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 1,242
Thanks: 294
Thanked 216 Times in 152 Posts
Default

If I, such a lowly peasant, may provide some input of my own on comparing units +-50W apart. I personally don't see a problem with it because the wattage on the box (AKA the PSU's wattage) is such a generalized and non-standardized number to begin with. You have some 500W PSUs, for instance, that blow up at 300W. You have others that could actually handle 550W fine. I think restricting comparisons to models of the same "wattage" is silly because a power supply itself does not have a value called "wattage".

If someone asks me what the wattage of a power supply really is, I tell them it is nothing. It is a number on a box with no significant meaning, no technical meaning, really. You don't see reviews with a data table that has the "wattage" of a power supply because there is no such thing at all. So, frankly, I'd be fine comparing "400W" units with "800W" units.

Sure, in the "800W" unit review, the load tester pushes it farther, but if you have a computer, and are considering one of these two power supplies, that review can provide you the exact information such as noise, efficiency, and overall voltage stability under the load conditions your hardware will impose. If you have calculated your hardware to be about 250W under gaming conditions, then you look at how the PSUs perform up to 250W of load. You don't need to look at any tests that push the PSU any harder because your hardware won't be subjecting it to such a load.

So if you say there is a difference in a 800W and 850W PSU, I have to disagree. I think the difference is only something that can be firmly stated when you have two precise units in mind to compare. There is no generalized similarity or difference. Heck, you may have an 800W unit, for instance, that shuts down under heavier load than an 850W unit. When we start using labelled wattage as a parameter for comparison, we tend to forget that labelled wattage in and of itself is pointless.

"Many errors, of a truth, consist merely in the application of the wrong names of things." - Spinoza
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to turkey3_scratch For This Useful Post:
Behemot (07-07-2016)
  #30  
Old 07-19-2016
Spectre Spectre is offline
Pinball Wizard
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Moderator
Posts: 4,100
Thanks: 15
Thanked 98 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
So, broadly speaking, what's the scope/purpose of a review?
To evaluate a product.

Now what I was talking about, was that I didn't have to say anything here to help people out since what I said here was what was already in the review. My reposting it was because it was apparently missed. I could have just said "read the review" but that would have been "ego and bluster". You're damned if you do, damned it you don't at times.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © JonnyGURU.com 2000 -