jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 04-09-2018
Captain Wacky (later renamed "Homer")

Thanked 1,305 Times in 367 Posts
Arrow Cougar GX-F 750W Review

Quote:
It's time to have a look at another Cougar unit. This is a company we don't hear from too much, but they are keen to keep us aware that they do in fact offer power supply alternatives to the bigger names out there. Today, we'll be looking at the new GX-F series at 750 watts. We'll find out if it's worthy of our hard earned dollars.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=547
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Oklahoma Wolf For This Useful Post:
-The_Mask- (04-09-2018), Al3xand3r (04-12-2018), awesomegamer919 (04-09-2018), Philipus II (04-09-2018), Tator Tot (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
these are $99.20 at Amazon right now, via Cougar USA
The interesting thing is that the 550W has better value and is much cheaper than other fully modular units like the Whisper M, RMx, be quiet Straight Power 11 and many more, here in EUland...

As for the 750W the price is on par with other units in this range...
Old 04-09-2018
BuildAPC Nerd

Not at all competitive, the Bitfenix formula performs much better and is $23 less (at the cost of any modularity), a Seasonic FOCUS Gold is $19.50 less and is also much better, whilst having semi modularity (and only having EPS + ATX Hardwired means for 99% of users it's the same as fully modular), if you go to SuperBiiz then the FOCUS Plus is still $5 less...

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
The interesting thing is that the 550W has better value and is much cheaper than other fully modular units like the Whisper M, RMx, be quiet Straight Power 11 and many more, here in EUland...

As for the 750W the price is on par with other units in this range...

Fair enough for 550w in EU, though it's a fairly small niche of people who absolutely must have full modularity and can't get a FOCUS God/Formula/TXm etc... Might just be me nitpicking, but it feels like Cougar has a decent value unit... if it was 25% cheaper...

Last edited by awesomegamer919; 04-09-2018 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Added Response to Stephan
Old 04-09-2018
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomegamer919 View Post
Not at all competitive, the Bitfenix formula performs much better and is $23 less (at the cost of any modularity)
Well, that's the point. THe GX-F is fully modular, the Formula is not.
The Whisper M is much more expensive than the GX-F, at least in 550W. - 78€ vs. 90€

In 750W its 10 bucks...
Old 04-09-2018
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Fair enough for 550w in EU, though it's a fairly small niche of people who absolutely must have full modularity and can't get a FOCUS God/Formula/TXm etc... Might just be me nitpicking, but it feels like Cougar has a decent value unit... if it was 25% cheaper...
Fan and fan RPM is the thing you are missing.

The Hong hua fan of the Seasonic has a rather bad track record because of the Motor noise...
The TXm has very high fan RPM - according to TweakPC around 850rpm under low loads- and because of that is not really an option for many people.

And again, you are comparing apples <> Oranges because fully modular vs. semi modular or fixed cables. Wich seems to be way cheaper...

the next best thing is the Bitfenix Formula and Whisper Series, wich have lower fan RPM as well. And the Martech isn't that bad...

Well, I should know more about the GX-F in a couple of hours...
Old 04-09-2018
BuildAPC Nerd

Quote:
Fan and fan RPM is the thing you are missing.

The Hong hua fan of the Seasonic has a rather bad track record because of the Motor noise...
The TXm has very high fan RPM - according to TweakPC around 850rpm under low loads- and because of that is not really an option for many people.
Sure, but I have yet to see fan RPM on the 550w, only 750w (750rpm according to Aris), and whilst the 550w should be lower, there are no guarantees...

I'm also using example units that have much better voltage regulation, and whilst you may be on the curve of diminishing returns regarding VReg, it's a nice-to-have...

Quote:
And again, you are comparing apples <> Oranges because fully modular vs. semi modular or fixed cables. Wich seems to be way cheaper...
Sure, but how many people actually need fully modular at 550w? Most units only have 1 PCIe and 1 EPS, with 2 SATA and 1-2 Molex, most systems will use at least 1 SATA (any case with SSDs mounted away from HDDs will use 2 at a minimum anyways), and Semi mod units can drop the Molex...

Quote:

the next best thing is the Bitfenix Formula and Whisper Series, wich have lower fan RPM as well. And the Martech isn't that bad...

Well, I should know more about the GX-F in a couple of hours...
Agreed on the Formula/Whisper (and I guess the RMx 2018 when the 550w comes out, anyone know when that'll be released? I know they had efficiency issues...)

Last edited by awesomegamer919; 04-09-2018 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 04-09-2018
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Sure, but I have yet to see fan RPM on the 550w, only 750w (750rpm according to Aris), and whilst the 550w should be lower, there are no guarantees...
There is.
You should read more German stuff
https://www.computerbase.de/2018-03/...zteile-test/4/

590rpm.
But, as I said, in a couple of hours I can say more about the 550W.

Quote:
I'm also using example units that have much better voltage regulation, and whilst you may be on the curve of diminishing returns regarding VReg, it's a nice-to-have...
The question is:
What good does it do?
What are the benefits for me?

Quote:
Sure, but how many people actually need fully modular at 550w?
Its not about what they need.
Its about what they want.
And many people want/prefer fully modular PSU, even if there is no advantage for them.

So I'd accept this as a form of taste, if they are willing to spend the money.
Getting a Cougar LX insted of a Bitfenix Formula not so much.

Quote:
Most units only have 1 PCIe and 1 EPS, with 2 SATA and 1-2 Molex, most systems will use at least 1 SATA (any case with SSDs mounted away from HDDs will use 2 at a minimum anyways), and Semi mod units can drop the Molex...
You don't need to tell me that
Because that's what I tell people who don't have the money but want a modular PSU anyway...

And in some cases you rather have a non modular because of size restrictions of the (SFF) Case...

Quote:
Agreed on the Formula/Whisper (and I guess the RMx 2018 when the 550w comes out, anyone know when that'll be released? I know they had efficiency issues...)
RMx 2018 = Whisper M, according to Jon.
So why not get the Whisper M?
Old 04-09-2018
BuildAPC Nerd

Quote:
There is.
You should read more German stuff
https://www.computerbase.de/2018-03/...zteile-test/4/

590rpm.
But, as I said, in a couple of hours I can say more about the 550W.
I... dislike non-English reviews, not because of the review, but because google translate is far from perfect...

590RPM is nice, I'd like a 0RPM mode, but honestly, I'm not sure it's worth it on low wattage PSUs...

Quote:
The question is:
What good does it do?
What are the benefits for me?
Cleaner power means when you buy the cheapest possible motherboard with the shittiest VRMs known to mankind you have at least some chance of not blowing them up :P

If it was the same % of Voltage regulation, but was above 12V and not below then it'd be a bit better, but that still has issues (primarily efficiency concerns)

Quote:
Its not about what they need.
Its about what they want.
And many people want/prefer fully modular PSU, even if there is no advantage for them.

These are the same people who would probably buy a $30 750w and claim "It's fine" when they use 300w and it doesn't blow up on them...

This is coming from the perspective of someone who spends a lot of time helping on /r/buildapc where many users don't actually know what they want, they just heard a bunch of buzzwords ("Gold rated", Fully Modular", "Japanese Capacitors") and immediately need all of them in their PSU (or are the other way around and go for the cheapest group reg piece of shit on PCPP)

Quote:
RMx 2018 = Whisper M, according to Jon.
So why not get the Whisper M?
According to Jon the RMx 2018 is a tweaked, better variant, hopefully we will get some reviews soon (I know Cybernetics has results, and it's looking real nice there, but I like multiple sources).
Old 04-09-2018
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
I... dislike non-English reviews, not because of the review, but because google translate is far from perfect...

590RPM is nice, I'd like a 0RPM mode, but honestly, I'm not sure it's worth it on low wattage PSUs...
1. Understandable.
But from one Germanic Language to another, it's not that bad and very readable. Even with just replacing the words, it works rather well...

2. I don't like 0rpm mode and the HardOCP review of the 750W RM proves me kinda right
It causes more problems than it solves.
What you want/need is a good quality fan at low RPM.

Quote:
Cleaner power means when you buy the cheapest possible motherboard with the shittiest VRMs known to mankind you have at least some chance of not blowing them up :P
Ähh, that does not make any sense at all...
You save money on one hand and need to spend it on another thing for everything to work reliably??

Ähm, no, just no...

A bad VRM on a Motherboard can and should not be rectified by the Power Supply.
Especially since the Cable is long and there are also other components that have to be powered by the PSU.

Quote:
If it was the same % of Voltage regulation, but was above 12V and not below then it'd be a bit better, but that still has issues (primarily efficiency concerns)
Its well within specification
Until there is a new one, I'd not worry too much about it.

And there are also other things more important for the user that are also more noticable to them...
If we talk about two decent/good units, its the small things you should take into consideration.

Like Cables/Connectors, Fan and Fan Controller...

Quote:
These are the same people who would probably buy a $30 750w and claim "It's fine" when they use 300w and it doesn't blow up on them...
Naa, totally different bunch of people.
The ones you talk about are the cheapskates that want to get a bargain PSU - wich then kills everything and in worst case even themselves...

Here we are talking about features of a PSU...

Quote:
This is coming from the perspective of someone who spends a lot of time helping on /r/buildapc where many users don't actually know what they want, they just heard a bunch of buzzwords ("Gold rated", Fully Modular", "Japanese Capacitors") and immediately need all of them in their PSU (or are the other way around and go for the cheapest group reg piece of shit on PCPP)
You spend too much time there

I don't.
Its rather pointless to go to the lowest of the low. And rather annoying as well...

But PSU Land is the land of the most fairy tales and falsehoods...

Quote:
According to Jon the RMx 2018 is a tweaked, better variant, hopefully we will get some reviews soon (I know Cybernetics has results, and it's looking real nice there, but I like multiple sources).
Yeah, when or if they send out review samples (or not)...

Anyway, I was hoping that I could say something about the GX-F right now.
But DHL totally fucked it up. And I don't know when it arrives.
Maybe tomorrow, maybe even later than that...
Old 04-09-2018
BuildAPC Nerd

Quote:
1. Understandable.
But from one Germanic Language to another, it's not that bad and very readable. Even with just replacing the words, it works rather well...

2. I don't like 0rpm mode and the HardOCP review of the 750W RM proves me kinda right
It causes more problems than it solves.
What you want/need is a good quality fan at low RPM.
The RM series caught a whole lot of flak for that, whilst it does cause many issues, for silence freaks it has it's uses, esp those getting systems that cannot be run on a fanless due to wattage concerns (1080Ti SLI, X399, X299 etc, esp if they are using programs that utilise AVX/AVX2/AVX512)

Quote:

Ähh, that does not make any sense at all...
You save money on one hand and need to spend it on another thing for everything to work reliably??
You vastly overestimate the average BuildAPC user, a motherboard just "works" doesn't it? :P

Users there tend to gravitate towards i7s with 1060s with NVMe drives on the cheapest motherboards possible with either the shittiest PSUs possible (aka S12II/M12II every other build, EVGA W1/N1/B1 on the rest if you are lucky, otherwise it's Logisys shit) or a 750w HX/P2/PRIME...

Quote:
Its well within specification
Until there is a new one, I'd not worry too much about it.

And there are also other things more important for the user that are also more noticable to them...
If we talk about two decent/good units, its the small things you should take into consideration.

Like Cables/Connectors, Fan and Fan Controller...
If we are going on about connectors then let it be said I dislike 1 EPS on a 750w, SklX Systems can appreciate that 2nd EPS, esp on HCC parts (You can easily go over spec of a single EPS connector)

I also dislike the "It's within spec so it's perfectly good" mentality, if we were sticking to that then every units would be doing 3-4% VReg, which kinda sucks :/

Fans is good, i'll give it that, and the 16AWG cabling is a nice touch...

Quote:
Naa, totally different bunch of people.
The ones you talk about are the cheapskates that want to get a bargain PSU - wich then kills everything and in worst case even themselves...
Whilst that is often true, you do get the people who will initially put in a $30 PSU then, when someone who is almost as badly misinformed comes along and says "don't ever cheap out on a PSU", starts looking and is immediately hit with buzzwords like the Japanese Caps and Modularity...

Quote:
I don't.
Its rather pointless to go to the lowest of the low. And rather annoying as well...

But PSU Land is the land of the most fairy tales and falsehoods...

Sure, but you can drop all 3 of the buzzwords and still have a decent, if not amazing unit (BeQuiet Pure Power 10, Corsair CX/m Grey, Xilence performance A+)

Quote:

Yeah, when or if they send out review samples (or not)...
Cybernetics do have the 2nd revision, so hopefully that revision will also be sent out to reviewers...

Quote:
Anyway, I was hoping that I could say something about the GX-F right now.
But DHL totally fucked it up. And I don't know when it arrives.
Maybe tomorrow, maybe even later than that...
Oof