jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 06-16-2014
micro ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
Also, you don't need a Z97 board if don't plan on overclocking, you can get a H97 with exactly the same features, minus the OC capabilities.

THE H97 Performance is $60 cheaper at MSY.
I have actually been tossing between the two boards. I chose the Z97 Extreme4 because:

1. It has a DisplayPort port in the rear panel I/O. At one stage I thought this was going to become the defacto standard for monitors. But lately, I've seen some monitors with HDMI and no DisplayPort. So, I am not sure how big an advantage this is. I figured having both would cover all bases.

2. It has 12 Power Phase design vs the 8 Power Phase design on the H97 Performance. I am not sure how much of an advantage this will be if the CPU is not going to be overclocked.

3. It will most likely be the better seller of the two. Since more people will be buying this board, Asrock will probably allocate more resources to support it. So, I presume BIOS updates will come quicker and more frequently. Also, there may be more people to offer help on various forums.

Given (1) and (2) are pretty iffy, I am now unsure whether the Z97 Extreme4 is worth the extra $60.
Old 06-16-2014
micro ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_hegge View Post
Ah, I forgot about the extra freight cost. Go with the TPC 450, then. It's just a non-modular version of the Seasonic G-450.
Yeah, I am starting to lean towards the TPC 450 unless MSY suddenly starts to stock the Cooler Master V450S in the next few days.
Old 06-16-2014
I'm Batman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryger View Post
I have actually been tossing between the two boards. I chose the Z97 Extreme4 because:

1. It has a DisplayPort port in the rear panel I/O. At one stage I thought this was going to become the defacto standard for monitors. But lately, I've seen some monitors with HDMI and no DisplayPort. So, I am not sure how big an advantage this is. I figured having both would cover all bases.

2. It has 12 Power Phase design vs the 8 Power Phase design on the H97 Performance. I am not sure how much of an advantage this will be if the CPU is not going to be overclocked.

3. It will most likely be the better seller of the two. Since more people will be buying this board, Asrock will probably allocate more resources to support it. So, I presume BIOS updates will come quicker and more frequently. Also, there may be more people to offer help on various forums.

Given (1) and (2) are pretty iffy, I am now unsure whether the Z97 Extreme4 is worth the extra $60.
1.When the time comes, you may be able to get a discrete video card with a Display Port for less than $60.

2.I ran an AMD CPU with 125W TDP on a MB with a 4 Power Phase design for two years without issues. You're not going to overclock and all the PSUs recommended here have excellent ripple suppression and won't stress the VRMs. This is a non issue.

3.That really depends, the BIOS issues are usually resolved in the first few versions, and then it's maybe adding a few new features, and after that it's just new support for new CPU's.

As for the PSU, the TPC 450 is an excelent issue.