jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > General PC Hardware

General PC Hardware Troubleshooting and discussion of any computer hardware. Includes UPS's and monitors.

Old 08-25-2011
Captain Wacky (later renamed "Homer")

Thanked 1,333 Times in 370 Posts

For those clamoring for a 5.1 set of these, there are some challenges to overcome there. First, you need three more satellites and the amps to power them. Second, you need the SMPS to be able to handle that. Third, your shipping box just got bigger. This means you then have to pass the cost of all this along to the consumer.

Now, you're looking at a $400-500 set of speakers, and some strong competition. And I don't just mean from Edifier, Klipsch, and Logitech.

Better to get two channel audio nailed first, and then tackle 5.1 at a later time.
Old 08-25-2011
Flux Capacitor User

I'd like to see a piece meal setup...buy a cheaper but decent receiver along with 2 satellites and a sub. Then you can add additional satellites later.
Old 08-25-2011
Flux Capacitor User

I just bought a DAS KEYBOARD.

It has the feel I was looking for in general.

I have to say, it still is not as good as the old heavy metal units I remember from my youth. (IBM I guess)

(going even further off topic..anyone recall when a phone receiver was built strong enough to be a lethal weapon ? Thin and light is not always a benefit.)

However, I really need a spit keyboard layout.

Back to the old Microsoft Natural..

>End old man off topic ramble<
Old 08-25-2011
Danke schön

There used to be a better 2.0 system on the market than this guy; but it's long since gone ( 2 x WAF-1's + Gizmo v1.0M)

@MDK777

Send me a PM and I can give you some models of ergonomic (split) keyboards to look up.
Old 08-25-2011
Corsair Rep - Cases and Cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOfan_1 View Post
I'd like to see a piece meal setup...buy a cheaper but decent receiver along with 2 satellites and a sub. Then you can add additional satellites later.
Right now that market is already covered by guys like Onkyo, Yamaha, etc.

This is all about addressing the guys who want the best 2.1 speaker setup for their computer. If you want Studio Monitors or bookshelf speakers, there are a lot of guys doing that already.
Old 08-26-2011
Flux Capacitor User

5.1 systems are a pain in the ass to set up, especially if you live in an apartment and can't tear up the walls in order to run the wiring.

I was lucky to find a set of Bose Cinemate speakers for sale at a local cb shop, paid $30 for them. All I had to do was find a universal remote that worked with Bose stuff.

As always, OW, great review. One of my favorite Tears for Fears songs is "Listen".
Old 08-26-2011
Captain Wacky (later renamed "Homer")

Thanked 1,333 Times in 370 Posts

Thanks. Yep - that's a good song for sure.
Old 08-27-2011
Flux Capacitor User

Very nice review I especially love the review of the insides. Cap choice is a major concern when it comes to longevity of audio equipment. The Pioneer amp/receiver I got is from the 80s and still works like a charm. That's the kind of quality one should be able to expect. Not something which dies after it's out of warranty for two weeks.

On a related tangent, I got myself a Corsair HS1A headset recently, and am more than happy with it. Nice, flat audio response (50 mm drivers), very wide soundstage (Dire Strait's Brother's in Arms sounds amazing with it) and very good performance when using it for Skyping too. As far as I'm concerned, Corsair never makes 'junk', even if speakers like the one in the review do make me question their longevity
Old 08-28-2011
1kW User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
For this, we figured it was more important to create the best 2.1 audio speakers we could for a PC for the price point. I have a set and while they aren't perfect, they're better than anything else I've heard near that price point.
FWIW, I agree with you. 5.1 only makes sense if you're really customizing a room for it.

The one thing that really grates on me, though, is that hole in the frequency response from 100 to 200 Hz. The advertising claims that the system is flat within &pm;3 dB from 35 to 20000 Hz, and it's bloody well not.

I generally respect Corsair for living up to their spec sheets, and in this case, it just isn't true.

It's also the single biggest flaw in the whole system. I know it has a number of trickle-down effects, but how badly would a slightly larger satellite woofer have hurt the cost?
Old 08-29-2011
SSD Coveter - NVM, got me one now!

Thumbs up

Excellent review Wolfie, and very informative too. Now I know what Speakon connectors are and what QSound is. The amount of time and effort you put into reviewing these speakers really shows in your write-up. All I can say is, keep up the great work!