jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > General Electronics > Electronic Component Discussion

Electronic Component Discussion Discussion of anything pertaining to electronics and the components that make them work

Old 10-10-2006
Captain Wacky (later renamed "Homer")

Thanked 1,341 Times in 371 Posts
Default Popping a Cap in One's Antec

I am considering writing up an article in the not too distant future on how to repair an Antec/CWT PSU with the infamous Fuhjyuu Failure Syndrome. With that in mind, I wanted to see what my fellow forum members thought about such an article.

I could also use a little assistance with this idea. While the spirit is willing, the supply of flaky Antecs is pretty much all dried up for me. I had three that needed it done, and all three were done months ago. I have a fourth, but it's ancient. So, if anyone out there might have an Antec or other CWT made unit with bad capacitors who is willing to volunteer it for the article, I'd love to hear about it. In exchange, provided the unit in question wasn't totally hosed to begin with, I would be willing to send it back your way fully working afterwards if desired (and with much better build quality I might add).

Unless, of course, jonnyGURU is interested in ripple testing the unit before and/or after recapping to quantify the change

At any rate, the patient must meet the following criteria:
  • PSU must be OEM Channel Well (prefer Antec but Thermaltake, ISO, or XClio variants will also do)
  • prefer something newer like a Smartpower/Truepower II
  • must have one or more bulging and/or leaking capacitors
  • must still have its magic smoke - if it went with a bang I can't fix it
  • won't be missed if the recap is not successful (not that likely)
  • Canada or US Antecs only - can't afford to return ship if the cost gets too high
  • I'll need pictures of the unit and a full list of the large value caps in the supply before hand so I can order the parts - need voltage, capacitance, height, and diameter at a minimum

I plan to recap my old CWT unit anyway, but I thought I would see if there was anyone out there dying to curse someone else with their old Antec

Also note I don't have my eBay special digital cameras yet - I want to make sure I can fix at least one of them before taking a patient for this article.
Old 10-10-2006
PSU Advocate

I like the idea. But what is the whole point of this anyway? Showing people how to recap their CWT Antecs?
Old 10-10-2006
Site Founder

Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,233 Posts

A re-capped Antec is a happy Antec.

I think the before/after ripple tests would be cool, since the secondary caps should affect that.
Old 10-10-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
I think the before/after ripple tests would be cool, since the secondary caps should affect that.
Indeed - the results should show a drastic before/after change in ripple, even if we only barely load it. Some of these Fuhjyyus go so far out of spec the PSU goes into protection
Old 10-10-2006
Dumb Ass White Boy

Our Nspire units are OEM Channelwell units too, I'll see if I can find any for you.
Old 10-10-2006

I forgot about them
Old 10-10-2006
Dumb Ass White Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
I forgot about them

But it seems the new revision (and part number) units we just got in are from a different OEM. I need to find a way to get one to Jonny for eval.

I was TOLD they are still Channelwell units, but since when does Channelwell make entry-level power supplies w/130MM fans?

Last edited by SuperSix; 10-10-2006 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-10-2006

Not sure on that, but if any of the transformers have the letters CWT on them, they're CWT.

The newer ones with the Samxon caps probably won't help so much with the article though... not much point replacing good caps with other good caps
Old 10-11-2006
Better you then me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
I am considering writing up an article in the not too distant future on how to repair an Antec/CWT PSU with the infamous Fuhjyuu Failure Syndrome. With that in mind, I wanted to see what my fellow forum members thought about such an article.

I could also use a little assistance with this idea. While the spirit is willing, the supply of flaky Antecs is pretty much all dried up for me. I had three that needed it done, and all three were done months ago. I have a fourth, but it's ancient. So, if anyone out there might have an Antec or other CWT made unit with bad capacitors who is willing to volunteer it for the article, I'd love to hear about it. In exchange, provided the unit in question wasn't totally hosed to begin with, I would be willing to send it back your way fully working afterwards if desired (and with much better build quality I might add).

Unless, of course, jonnyGURU is interested in ripple testing the unit before and/or after recapping to quantify the change

At any rate, the patient must meet the following criteria:
  • PSU must be OEM Channel Well (prefer Antec but Thermaltake, ISO, or XClio variants will also do)
  • prefer something newer like a Smartpower/Truepower II
  • must have one or more bulging and/or leaking capacitors
  • must still have its magic smoke - if it went with a bang I can't fix it
  • won't be missed if the recap is not successful (not that likely)
  • Canada or US Antecs only - can't afford to return ship if the cost gets too high
  • I'll need pictures of the unit and a full list of the large value caps in the supply before hand so I can order the parts - need voltage, capacitance, height, and diameter at a minimum

I plan to recap my old CWT unit anyway, but I thought I would see if there was anyone out there dying to curse someone else with their old Antec

Also note I don't have my eBay special digital cameras yet - I want to make sure I can fix at least one of them before taking a patient for this article.

Would you mind getting a working,with no problems "yet" Neopower 480 2.0?

If I dont get my 7900GT KO back soon,or one that works anyways, I would have no problems sending it to Jonny for hot box treatment then to you for recapping! I havent used it but to test dead cards since May. I would like to see the before and after The end result would be all Hitachi caps{yeah right!} Either way you look at it, I would have it for another 4-5 years.
4x4Gb GSkill Ripjaws 16Gb 1600
MSI 670 GTX PE/OC
2x750Gb Seagate Barracuda's RAID 0
Zalman ZM-MFC1
Lite-On Dvd burner
SB X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
Silverstone Zeus ST85ZF
Coolermaster HAF-932
"Experience is the benchmark of maturity"
Old 10-11-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAD4466HK View Post
Would you mind getting a working,with no problems "yet" Neopower 480 2.0?
Maybe... I'd very much prefer there to be at least one cap visibly swelling or leaking though. That way it will be somewhat easier to quantify the benefits of recapping on the scope later. Will keep yours in mind though. If this is a Neo HE, there's no benefit to recapping - it's a Seasonic.

The plan is to use United Chemicon, Panasonic, Nichicon, or a combination of the three as I can get them easier. All depends what Digikey has that will fit.

Last edited by Oklahoma Wolf; 10-11-2006 at 12:30 AM.