jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 02-18-2018
micro ATX User

Default Determining max continuous load of PSU for mining rig

For one mining rig with 8 rx580 cards I did purchase Corsair HX1200 Platinum 1200W PSU. My experience shows that such rig with properly modified bioses for the cards will drain 1100w from the wall. Which could mean that 1200w PSU be OK. But seems that I have been wrong because my rig truly draws 1100w from wall (wattmeter data from several devices) and it shuts down after 10 minutes of full load. Discussing this with my mates I got blamed for such misuse of PSU, because I never should exceed 80% from... I don't know actually which number do they think - psu raiting? 12v rail total power?
So I would like to understand how to determine max safe continuous load for PSUs in context of GPU mining.
Other PSUs at same conditions would work fine and I have such experince. But maybe I am wrong and I am misusing my PSUs and all of them will die in terrible death because of my stupidity.
So - questions here are.
1) What is and how to calculate max safe continuous load of PSU for GPU mining.
2) Is my corsair HX1200 defective if it shuts down on continuous load of 1100w from wall after 10 minutes?

Last edited by deff_ins; 02-18-2018 at 06:32 AM.
Old 02-18-2018
Tinfoil Hat User

1) Max safe continous load is the wattage rating on the label. In this case, it's 1200W.
2) You should troubleshoot the graphics cards first, as those are the ones that are most likely to fail under 100% load all the time. It could also be a bad connection or something with the motherboard and how you connected the power cables.
Old 02-18-2018
micro ATX User

Risers could be weak spot in system as they usually are bad quality. Ill try reaseat everything and replace all risers then.
Old 02-18-2018
Captain Wacky (later renamed "Homer")

Thanked 1,333 Times in 370 Posts

Does it run with seven cards? If so, does it matter which cards?
Old 02-18-2018
20W User

At highish load, the efficiency of the HX1200 is about 93% (on 230V), so if the wall load is 1,100W, the output is 1,023W; which means you have it running at about 85% maximum load.

I assume the room is rather hot from this work, and that might be why your buddies are suggesting it needs de-rating.

You could try opening up the room to the Winter cold as an experiment, although I am sure this extra heat is normally welcome and not to be wasted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HX1200.jpg (39.5 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by ashiekh; 02-18-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-18-2018
ssssssmokin'

Thanked 1,425 Times in 935 Posts

How exactly is everything connected?

The PSU doesn't care about the load by the way, it's a good 1200W PSU. Good power supplies are always build for full power, only the crappy ones aren't.
Old 02-19-2018
micro ATX User

Well, Ill try to describe it.
Each card has one 8 pin connector, there are 4 cables for pcie, each has 2 connectors, so each card has one. All cars are almost the same, 5x580+3x570. 580 draws 110w (gpuz, hwinfo data) and 570 draws around 90w.
Motherboard: ASUS Z270F
CPU: G4400
No mining or overclocking on CPU.
There are 8 risers, each 2 risers connected to one sata cable. I don't even know what else to mention here. But I got the point, PSU should work on 1100w load.
Ill just test rig with new risers and reseat all cables.
I had plan to add there secondary PSU so I could boost my card to full load and start dual mining on Claymore software.
Question is - where can i learn about PSU - I would like to find argument that states that PSUs are designed to work on full load.
Old 02-19-2018
20W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by deff_ins View Post
I would like to find argument that states that PSUs are designed to work on full load.
They need to be derated for high temperature input; i.e. cannot run at full load.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3987

"How does the temperature inside of my case affect the performance of my power supply?

Power supplies can perform differently depending on the temperature at which they are operating at. When a power supply is rated for it's total output wattage, it is rated to do so at a particular temperature. Anything beyond this temperature may take away from the power supply's capability. A power supply that is rated to put out 550W at 25C or 30C (room temperature) may only be able to put out 75% of that at 40C or 50C (actual operating temperature). This difference is called the "de-rating curve". A normal operating temperature for a power supply is 40C.

jonnyGURU, Mar 19, 2008"

Last edited by jonnyGURU; 02-20-2018 at 02:03 AM.
Old 02-19-2018
Captain Wacky (later renamed "Homer")

Thanked 1,333 Times in 370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deff_ins View Post
There are 8 risers, each 2 risers connected to one sata cable.
You should be using risers with PCIe connectors only - SATA connectors cannot handle the load those cards require from the PCIe slot.
Old 02-19-2018
micro ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
You should be using risers with PCIe connectors only - SATA connectors cannot handle the load those cards require from the PCIe slot.
Are you suggesting to use pcie splitters?

Tags
continuous load, corsair hx1200, gpu mining