jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 10-26-2018
ssssssmokin'

Thanked 1,449 Times in 953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipus II View Post
Passive PFC is still allowed in EU. Fake PFC is obviously not allowed but market oversight is weak/slow.
Doesn't the PSU need to have an efficiency of 82, 85, 82% at 20, 50 and 100% load with a PFC of at least 0.9 with 100% load since 2014?
Old 10-26-2018
retired reviewer

Only if you put it in a PC. If you sell stand-alone PSU the minimum efficiency is not required. So you're allowed to sell crap PSU but you're not allowed to sell full systems with crap PSU.
The Following User Says Thank You to Philipus II For This Useful Post:
tinpoint (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018
PSU Editor TweakPC.de

Correctly, not only i have already made years ago attentive to power supplies with fake PFC. Martin from P3D/AnAndTech did it too

Nobody cares
Old 10-31-2018
ComputerBase PSU Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipus II View Post
Only if you put it in a PC. If you sell stand-alone PSU the minimum efficiency is not required. So you're allowed to sell crap PSU but you're not allowed to sell full systems with crap PSU.
But even standalone PSUs have to be compliant to the standby efficiency requirement. So it's not very likely that it is sold legaly in the EU.
Old 11-12-2018
200W User

Here in Europe, you can even buy PSU's without PFC. About a year ago, i bought 3 Spire cases which included a power supply. They were about €16 each (case+psu) so it was fairly cheap.

The Spire psu's were recently build (in 2016 i believe) and should be "420W" with 15A on the 12V rail. I opened one up and saw a 10A rectifier for the 12V rail, no PFC, tiny transformer and primary caps, almost no input/output filtering and Asia'X capacitors. Pure and utter crap.

I used the PSU's to repair some 10 year old low-end systems that needed to work for another year on the cheap.

I also use one for an Ignition testing setup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buh_lhcHVhY&t=12s

This uses a 520 RC electric motor to drive the flywheel for the ignition system. The motor can pull 20A and more when you push hard (spinning the flywheel at about 8000RPM for example).

I only do short testing runs with that because the wiring, motor controller, power supply and the motor itself heat up pretty quickly. So far it is still working after many testing runs, if i push it too hard it simply trips the UVP or OCP. I don't know which one this psu would have, at least it shuts off. I used a multimeter to read the 12V line, and it really doesn't fall below 11.8V so it's doing it's job fine.