jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 11-12-2013
500W User

Default Raider0001's weird thread that was just too entertaining to close.

My corsair VS550 is missing transformer made by CWT, instead i have yellow something that drops voltage a lot and my sound card is turning off - probably because of the v-jump
Old 11-12-2013
CM Product Rep

If your power supply was missing a transformer, it wouldn't function as a power supply... And that has absolutely nothing to do with your sound card.
Old 11-12-2013
Site Founder

Thanked 1,900 Times in 1,174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider0001 View Post
My corsair VS550 is missing transformer made by CWT, instead i have yellow something that drops voltage a lot and my sound card is turning off - probably because of the v-jump
You have almost 40 posts here. Sooo..... drunk?

Rest in peace Joerg Theissen, aka "GI Joe"
The Following User Says Thank You to jonnyGURU For This Useful Post:
rafal_iB_PL (11-13-2013)
Old 11-12-2013
Naughty

Perhaps he was trying to say (and failed miserably) that instead of the signature green tape on the main transformer, a standard yellow one was used. It appears that he's unsatisfied with the transformer's performance, or rather that he blames the "ordinary yellow" TF for unstable output voltage, which I'm not sure he actually measured (no mention). He then further implies a connection between this suspect TF and it's alleged poor performance with a sound card problem he's experiencing.

I don't know if I got everything right, but this is as much sense as I can distill from that disaster of a post...
Philipus II (11-13-2013)
Old 11-13-2013
500W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSteel View Post
Perhaps he was trying to say (and failed miserably) that instead of the signature green tape on the main transformer, a standard yellow one was used. It appears that he's unsatisfied with the transformer's performance, or rather that he blames the "ordinary yellow" TF for unstable output voltage, which I'm not sure he actually measured (no mention). He then further implies a connection between this suspect TF and it's alleged poor performance with a sound card problem he's experiencing.

I don't know if I got everything right, but this is as much sense as I can distill from that disaster of a post...
yeah its 11,56V when ~350W stress is put on its back (multimeter was used, imagine what would happen if i stress it fully), when my friend has it with proper green cwt transformer and its rock solid with same configuration, sound card is X-Fi Titanium HD and it does have protection against rubbish power source. The other small transformer is still green. I could put a picture of it inside but i will lose warranty which i still want to use to send this garbage back to corsair, or i could send it to johnnyguru just for fun (review)

Last edited by Raider0001; 11-13-2013 at 03:16 AM.
Old 11-13-2013
Retired reviewer

There is no electrical difference between the green and yellow transformers. They just have different coloured tape around them.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
Old 11-13-2013
1kW User

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSteel View Post

Damn, you're good.
Old 11-13-2013
1kW User

Gotta love totally uninformed posters who just randomly blame a psu for their problems, and this derails from the actual topic at hand. The build quality is pretty disappointing on that RM sample. Then again this is a budget gold series from cwt, so how much surprise can there be? I still think it'll be a good budget pick if there's some sales/rebates involved with the psu series later.
Old 11-13-2013
500W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_hegge View Post
There is no electrical difference between the green and yellow transformers. They just have different coloured tape around them.
and the voltage drops differently because of tape color

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoyo View Post
Gotta love totally uninformed posters who just randomly blame a psu for their problems, and this derails from the actual topic at hand. The build quality is pretty disappointing on that RM sample. Then again this is a budget gold series from cwt, so how much surprise can there be? I still think it'll be a good budget pick if there's some sales/rebates involved with the psu series later.
who told u im uninformed ? i use my soldering gun for almost 15 years i should know something by now

and funny fact i bought my VS550 on sale! it took me 2 weeks to figure out sound card stability issues

Last edited by Raider0001; 11-13-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-13-2013
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider0001 View Post
and the voltage drops differently because of tape color
Do you mean this seriously or are you a comic?