jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  


Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-12-2013
Raider0001 Raider0001 is offline
500W User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 70
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Raider0001's weird thread that was just too entertaining to close.

My corsair VS550 is missing transformer made by CWT, instead i have yellow something that drops voltage a lot and my sound card is turning off - probably because of the v-jump
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-12-2013
CM Phaedrus's Avatar
CM Phaedrus CM Phaedrus is offline
CM Product Rep
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Chino Hills, CA
Posts: 283
Thanks: 16
Thanked 73 Times in 44 Posts
Default

If your power supply was missing a transformer, it wouldn't function as a power supply... And that has absolutely nothing to do with your sound card.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-12-2013
jonnyGURU's Avatar
jonnyGURU jonnyGURU is online now
Site Founder
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: jonnyGURU forums, of course!
Posts: 14,989
Thanks: 480
Thanked 1,900 Times in 1,174 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider0001 View Post
My corsair VS550 is missing transformer made by CWT, instead i have yellow something that drops voltage a lot and my sound card is turning off - probably because of the v-jump
You have almost 40 posts here. Sooo..... drunk?
__________________
Rest in peace Mike Clements, aka "Yellowbeard"

Rest in peace Joerg Theissen, aka "GI Joe"
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jonnyGURU For This Useful Post:
rafal_iB_PL (11-13-2013)
  #4  
Old 11-12-2013
McSteel's Avatar
McSteel McSteel is online now
Naughty
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Serbia
Posts: 2,222
Thanks: 116
Thanked 424 Times in 293 Posts
Default

Perhaps he was trying to say (and failed miserably) that instead of the signature green tape on the main transformer, a standard yellow one was used. It appears that he's unsatisfied with the transformer's performance, or rather that he blames the "ordinary yellow" TF for unstable output voltage, which I'm not sure he actually measured (no mention). He then further implies a connection between this suspect TF and it's alleged poor performance with a sound card problem he's experiencing.

I don't know if I got everything right, but this is as much sense as I can distill from that disaster of a post...
__________________
Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to McSteel For This Useful Post:
Philipus II (11-13-2013)
  #5  
Old 11-13-2013
Raider0001 Raider0001 is offline
500W User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 70
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSteel View Post
Perhaps he was trying to say (and failed miserably) that instead of the signature green tape on the main transformer, a standard yellow one was used. It appears that he's unsatisfied with the transformer's performance, or rather that he blames the "ordinary yellow" TF for unstable output voltage, which I'm not sure he actually measured (no mention). He then further implies a connection between this suspect TF and it's alleged poor performance with a sound card problem he's experiencing.

I don't know if I got everything right, but this is as much sense as I can distill from that disaster of a post...
yeah its 11,56V when ~350W stress is put on its back (multimeter was used, imagine what would happen if i stress it fully), when my friend has it with proper green cwt transformer and its rock solid with same configuration, sound card is X-Fi Titanium HD and it does have protection against rubbish power source. The other small transformer is still green. I could put a picture of it inside but i will lose warranty which i still want to use to send this garbage back to corsair, or i could send it to johnnyguru just for fun (review)

Last edited by Raider0001; 11-13-2013 at 03:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-13-2013
c_hegge's Avatar
c_hegge c_hegge is offline
Retired reviewer
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 702
Thanks: 15
Thanked 120 Times in 81 Posts
Default

There is no electrical difference between the green and yellow transformers. They just have different coloured tape around them.
__________________
No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the coils backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-13-2013
3DVagabond 3DVagabond is offline
1kW User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Christchurch, N.Z.
Posts: 104
Thanks: 27
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSteel View Post
Perhaps he was trying to say (and failed miserably) that instead of the signature green tape on the main transformer, a standard yellow one was used. It appears that he's unsatisfied with the transformer's performance, or rather that he blames the "ordinary yellow" TF for unstable output voltage, which I'm not sure he actually measured (no mention). He then further implies a connection between this suspect TF and it's alleged poor performance with a sound card problem he's experiencing.

I don't know if I got everything right, but this is as much sense as I can distill from that disaster of a post...
Damn, you're good.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-13-2013
tomoyo tomoyo is offline
1kW User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 222
Thanks: 3
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Gotta love totally uninformed posters who just randomly blame a psu for their problems, and this derails from the actual topic at hand. The build quality is pretty disappointing on that RM sample. Then again this is a budget gold series from cwt, so how much surprise can there be? I still think it'll be a good budget pick if there's some sales/rebates involved with the psu series later.
__________________
Main: I5-3570K at 3.7ghz, 16GB DDR-1600@1.35v, Asrock Z77 Extreme6, Corsair 330R, Seasonic 760XP2, Sapphire Radeon 7950| Secondary/Lan: Core i3-2100, 4GB, Msi H67MA-E35, Radeon 6790, Sugo SG02
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-13-2013
Raider0001 Raider0001 is offline
500W User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 70
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_hegge View Post
There is no electrical difference between the green and yellow transformers. They just have different coloured tape around them.
and the voltage drops differently because of tape color

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoyo View Post
Gotta love totally uninformed posters who just randomly blame a psu for their problems, and this derails from the actual topic at hand. The build quality is pretty disappointing on that RM sample. Then again this is a budget gold series from cwt, so how much surprise can there be? I still think it'll be a good budget pick if there's some sales/rebates involved with the psu series later.
who told u im uninformed ? i use my soldering gun for almost 15 years i should know something by now

and funny fact i bought my VS550 on sale! it took me 2 weeks to figure out sound card stability issues

Last edited by Raider0001; 11-13-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-13-2013
rafal_iB_PL rafal_iB_PL is offline
Flux Capacitor User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,677
Thanks: 110
Thanked 175 Times in 155 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider0001 View Post
and the voltage drops differently because of tape color
Do you mean this seriously or are you a comic?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © JonnyGURU.com 2000 -