jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 11-13-2013
ssssssmokin'

Thanked 1,373 Times in 899 Posts

Only dust gonna be a problem for this unit.
Old 11-13-2013
1kW User

Ouch that [H]ardocp Review. I gotta say the buzz around the RM series is pretty ugly so far, with all the talk about poor caps before reviews even came out, then there's some pretty big build/fan issues in reviews on jonnyguru and hardocp. Not looking good for Corsair here at all. I hope they go back to having consistently positive products in the future.
Old 11-13-2013
Site Founder

Thanked 1,908 Times in 1,177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
I wouldn't say botched, as that's what CWT did ( a fanless mode which actually adds noise and doesn't work properly.)

Hipro simply had an oversight on circumstances.

I'd say for the issue experienced at [H], you're gonna find that a vast majority of users don't run into that problem as almost everyone is running a PSU in a case with some airflow.
See, that's the whole problem. One, the PSU is rated at 40C and, two, there's absolutely no moving air in that incubator. Just heating elements. When Corsair tried to duplicate the problem... they couldn't. At least not initially. They had the ovens up to 45C, but the units just kept on running and the fans kicked on.

But alas, that's because the ovens they use to test PSUs BLOW the hot air in. So even though the ovens are much larger internally than your typical chassis, there was enough air in and out for the thermistor to register the temperature.

Finally, they decided to throw a box on top of the PSU while it was in the oven. Sure enough, after about 15 minutes, the PSU shut off and they knew they would have to change out that thermistor to get the fan to turn on sooner.

Rest in peace Joerg Theissen, aka "GI Joe"
Old 11-13-2013
Pinball Wizard

Well, the whole thermistor/fan control is kind of bunged in a lot of situations not just in the incubator missing the RT turn on point of ~40% by not turning on until ~75% is kind of a big margin. Someone took the quest for silence being pushed by vocal minorities too seriously it would seem.
Old 11-13-2013
Site Founder

Thanked 1,908 Times in 1,177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
Well, the whole thermistor/fan control is kind of bunged in a lot of situations not just in the incubator missing the RT turn on point of ~40% by not turning on until ~75% is kind of a big margin. Someone took the quest for silence being pushed by vocal minorities too seriously it would seem.
Not going to disagree... but you can't deny the fact that there's already 10s of thousands of units out there already and if you try to Google the problem, there's one guy using the PSU for bitcoin mining and another guy in the Corsair forums that just popped up today.

Rest in peace Joerg Theissen, aka "GI Joe"
Old 11-13-2013
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoyo View Post
Ouch that [H]ardocp Review. I gotta say the buzz around the RM series is pretty ugly so far, with all the talk about poor caps before reviews even came out, then there's some pretty big build/fan issues in reviews on jonnyguru and hardocp. Not looking good for Corsair here at all. I hope they go back to having consistently positive products in the future.
luckily they have plenty of other great units to choose from...newegg is selling the HX850 for $20 more than the RM750. No brainer on that one.
Old 11-13-2013
Flux Capacitor User

Oh btw

Who links Pauls RM750W Review? And Corsairs response...
Old 11-13-2013
retired reviewer

http://hardocp.com/article/2013/11/1...9#.UoQSfOKmZmo
Old 11-13-2013
Pinball Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOfan_1 View Post
luckily they have plenty of other great units to choose from...newegg is selling the HX850 for $20 more than the RM750. No brainer on that one.
Well, not as many as they used to since they have killed the TX series for this unit now. And yes, before some one says but the RM is a Gold unit blah blah blah...that is great and all but the first job of a power supply is to provide the nominal outputs under all rated load conditions and the second job is to do so cleanly. Somewhere around number 30,479 is to do so with an efficiency and sound profile that sacrifices the units primary job. Efficiency is great, and so is sound.......but not when it keeps a product from working
Old 11-14-2013
Flux Capacitor User

Yes, but it is a consumer product. As such it really needs to be tolerable in a consumer home setting.

for example,

the Corsair ax760 is on sale for $122.
that is a great deal on a very good piece of equipment.

yet I hesitate because of the possibility of coil whine.

yeah, it would be a fine addition, but if I can't stand to be in the same room...it really defeats the purpose.

ps. the same goes for the new AMD 290 and 290x.

while I would like to get one, I will have to wait until aftermarket cooling solutions launch to get the fan noise under control.