jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 03-12-2013
micro ATX User

Default What happens when a PSU is overloaded?

Hi, although I'm fairly confident of the answer, and that it might differ from a quality brand vs a generic, there was a discussion in another forum re this unit...

Antec EarthWatts EA-380D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371033

... if being adequate (or not) to run a rig with an AMD A10-5800k processor (TDP 85w without IGP) and an Nvidia 660ti (TDP of 150w), plus a couple drives and fans. Rigs total output at full load (no overclocking) should not exceed 260w. I know it sounds silly, but some were insinuating this PSU, being a weak '380w unit', might 'blow up'.

How would you rate the long term running of this Antec unit with such a rig? And for curiosity sake, what would happen if it was ran with a more powerful GPU that exceeded its limits? I know that any decent PSU brand should have adequate protection circuitry, so would it not just simply shut down or is there worse that could happen?

Last edited by taco; 03-12-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-12-2013
Flux Capacitor User

That depends on the PSU.

On high quality PSUs, nothing really happens (OK, the PSU will get really loud). On not so high quality PSUs it might exlode or violate the ATX spec...

But why do you worry about overloading? Your PSU is more than enough for your rig, it might even be able to power a high end GPU...
Old 03-12-2013
micro ATX User

Not worried at all, not my rig. Question was posed by another user who was told by some to get a more powerful unit. My impression is that Antec, as well as all other reputable brands, have protection circuitry in all their units, including the budget ones. From product page:

Quote:
http://store.antec.com/Product/power...5-27384-8.aspx

Industrial-grade protection circuitry prevents damage resulting from short circuits, over voltage, and over current...

Antec Quality three-year parts and labor warranty
So this being my main bone of contention, that even if the hardware exceeded the limits of the PSU, it should simply shut down when overloaded... and not 'blow up'.
Old 03-12-2013
PSU Editor ComputerBase.de&PC Games Hardware

ANtecs protection circuit will probably work finde and protect the psu and the hardware.
Old 03-12-2013
Flux Capacitor User

If the machine should ever overload the PSU, it will shut off. Windows will complain about not being shut down correctly, and that's the only trouble you'll get.

It would struggle with a GTX590, but you could put a GTX580 (250w) or GTX680 (200w) in there and still have a few watts spare.

Many decent PSUs allow a measure of overloading, but the voltages and ripple are never as well controlled in such a situation.
Intel i7-2600k with an XSPC Raystorm water block, 4x4GB Corsair Dominator, SLi Evga-GTX560Ti-448 FTWs, Asrock Extreme4 Gen3, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, powered by a Silverstone Strider+ 850 PSU in a Silverstone TJ-07BW case.
I'm not buying EK GPU blocks ever again. (One GPU killed)
Old 03-12-2013
micro ATX User

Thanks. Thats what I thought.