jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 5 Days Ago
micro ATX User

Default Seasonic prime titanium 850w noises

I bought it because it had the highest rating(he does take into account audio?)
I also read a few comment people wrote saying they bought it and it got rid of their coil whine on the GPU, people also said don't skimp on the PSU.

In a cruel twist the only noise coming from my pc is the the PSU....

Here's a recording.
https://vocaroo.com/i/s0vzyw2y98l4

It sounds like coil and some grunting grinding noise.

That's hybrid off, hybrid on and then back off. I stopped all the pc fans when recording.

Is there any bios setting(asus hero x370) or something i can do? The support guy said i might have dirty power inside my home? I could try buy one of these https://greenwavefilters.com/product...m-starter-kit/
http://www.emraustralia.com.au/shop/...tricity-filter

My previous pc had no whine tho or irritating noises..
Old 5 Days Ago
650w User

Hello Vikash,

If not wrong, you have contacted our support regarding this issue. We are sorry for it.
For now, I may suggest not to purchase these plugs and check all what our support sent you by email (check your BIOS with your manual, check other outlets, etc..) in order to make sure it's a PSU issue. Then, if nothing can solve this issue, please kindly contact your reseller or our local distributor. I think our distributor information has been provided to you.

If you have any information or finish to check everything, kindly keep us updated by replying to our support. Any question you may have, we will gladly answer to you.

Thank you.
Best Regards,

Edit: At what distance the record has been done?

Last edited by Seasonic Rep; 5 Days Ago at 09:05 AM. Reason: Question
Old 5 Days Ago
500W User

So you have coil whine AND a grinding fan. That's 2 reasons to RMA, and the fan noise certainly doesn't come from dirty power. And when you get a new one, you'll see if it has coil whine. Or you just give it back. Because if I read 850 W, my reflex is to ask: do you need it?
Old 4 Days Ago
micro ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeJunkie View Post
So you have coil whine AND a grinding fan. That's 2 reasons to RMA, and the fan noise certainly doesn't come from dirty power. And when you get a new one, you'll see if it has coil whine. Or you just give it back. Because if I read 850 W, my reflex is to ask: do you need it?
Yeh but the support keeps saying it's everything but.
So i asked him can i unplug everything and just turn the psu on to prove to him it's the PSU.
He replied, He wants me to put a paperclip into the psu and try it? stuff that.

Do i need 850w no, but i might if i get a 2nd 1080 ti.
I also thought if i get more than wattage then i needed, it'll have less chance of coil whine under load as it'll never get near capacity. I guess that was a bad theory as this thing whines in bios doing nothing.
Old 4 Days Ago
Site Founder

Thanked 1,381 Times in 853 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash View Post
I also thought if i get more than wattage then i needed, it'll have less chance of coil whine under load as it'll never get near capacity.
Myth. Who sold you that bill of goods?

Coil whine doesn't happen because a wound part (i.e. coil, transformer, etc.) is "stressed". Coil whine happens because electricity is vibrating at an audible level. Could be at 10%, 20%, 50%, 120%.... depending on the design, how well wound the part is (i.e. how much air is between winds to allow vibration) and how isolated the part is (i.e. proper varnishing or use of caulk).

I hate when misinformation is posted on the Internet as fact. Oh wait... That's why I started this website almost 20 years ago.
Old 4 Days Ago
650w User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash View Post
Yeh but the support keeps saying it's everything but.
So i asked him can i unplug everything and just turn the psu on to prove to him it's the PSU.
He replied, He wants me to put a paperclip into the psu and try it? stuff that.

Do i need 850w no, but i might if i get a 2nd 1080 ti.
I also thought if i get more than wattage then i needed, it'll have less chance of coil whine under load as it'll never get near capacity. I guess that was a bad theory as this thing whines in bios doing nothing.
Hello Vikash,

The support told you that it can be PSU issue but not only this as it might also come from the GPU, motherboard or grid even if the PSU is the one, in the end, to make the noise.
If you want just to give a try to the PSU alone, paperclip test is made for this and depending of what you will have, like the support told you, you can contact your reseller (despite your issue with them about your shipping) or our distributor in order to ask for an exchange. We are still waiting to know if you did it and what is the result.

This is why also, the support didn't advise to purchase those plug before to, at least, finish all the test. If you don't mind to check and reply to the last email.
Else, like said by email, contact your reseller and ask for an exchange or even better, contact our distributor in Australia like this we can easily track the PSu for test.

In any case, if you need any assistance, please reply to the last email you received.

Thank you very much.
Best Regards,
Old 4 Days Ago
micro ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasonic Rep View Post
Hello Vikash,

If not wrong, you have contacted our support regarding this issue. We are sorry for it.
For now, I may suggest not to purchase these plugs and check all what our support sent you by email (check your BIOS with your manual, check other outlets, etc..) in order to make sure it's a PSU issue. Then, if nothing can solve this issue, please kindly contact your reseller or our local distributor. I think our distributor information has been provided to you.

If you have any information or finish to check everything, kindly keep us updated by replying to our support. Any question you may have, we will gladly answer to you.

Thank you.
Best Regards,

Edit: At what distance the record has been done?
About 20 cm with my $20 simplecom standing mic, it didn't even pick up one of the noises. it's like the two noises combine. I can hear it from where i sit during movies, i can't hear it during gaming, i use speakers.
If i couldn't hear it from 3m away i wouldn't care about it. But i can hear it from 3m and 3m around the wall. My hearing is very good.
I can't move the computer further away, display port maximum length for 144hz is 3metres.

Is there anyway to burn in a PSU?

I have requested the exchange but they have not agreed yet.
Old 4 Days Ago
Site Founder

Thanked 1,381 Times in 853 Posts

Regardless of the "coil whine", there's still the matter of the fan. That fan noise is not normal.
Old 4 Days Ago
500W User

Hey, that's what I said :-D why get hung up on the coil whine when it's abso-f******-lutely clear that the fan is broken, too.
The paperclip method is legit for testing if a PSU runs at all, but as has been pointed out, the coil whine can appear at any load. And it was easier when the PS_ON used to be green... oh well, good old times...
Old 4 Days Ago
Flux Capacitor User

@vikash

Get a replacement for your PSU.
Either via the manufacturer or the dealer.
If the second (or third) has similar issues, get something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeJunkie View Post
The paperclip method is legit for testing if a PSU runs at all
Not really.
Have some PSU here that won't do anything with paperclip but run fine with board attached.