jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > General Hardware

General Hardware Troubleshooting and discussion of any computer hardware

Old 09-13-2017
1kW User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
Wouldn't sending surge to ground energize parts you don't want energized?
sincerely I don't know.
APC is proud of doing that... this is from an APC rep on the APC forum.

Quote:
The main difference between our Surge Protectors and our competitors, is that we do not rely on Joule ratings alone. APC Surge Devices shunt the excess voltage that come through with a surge, while competitors simply absorb the excess voltage.

The higher the Joule rating the better the surge absorbtion, but APC uses absorbing as a last line of defense. If the Surge Protector is not plugged into a grounded outlet, then the only line of defense will be absorbing the surge, and it will not perform to its full capabilities.
As far as I understand redirecting the excessive voltage to the ground is safer for both connected equipments and for the UPS itself.
but feel free to correct me if you understood it better
Old 09-19-2017
1kW User

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblantipodi View Post
When I want to get some infos on the products I buy I can be very boring...

I wrote to the cyberpower tech support:

their answer:

I know that APC UPSs redirect excessive voltage to the ground, so +1 for APC, -1 for Cyberpower.
at the end the sales person spoke with a technical engineer from Cyberpower and updted me on this

Quote:
Hi Davide,

Regarding your question, I've talked to our electronic engineers for more details.

(1) Without well system grounding, the performance of MOV components would drop.
(2) Surge protection requires both MOV and well system grounding to achieve best performance.
(3) Therefore you are correct. Grounding is part of the surge protection mechanism. And our UPS systems do both (MOV + system grounding). In fact, almost all UPS brands do the same.

Thank you for your correctness.
MOV must discharge the excessive power somewhere, and it's not ideal to not discharge it on the ground.

still waiting amazon, it doesn't shipped it yet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sblantipodi For This Useful Post:
jonnyGURU (09-19-2017), TheStoka (09-20-2017)
Old 09-21-2017
1kW User

Yeah guys UPS is arrived and I will stop bumping this thread for your joy.
I am going to write two lines, just for reference, for people with a SLI and HEDT CPU who needs some more juice.

Cyberpower SmartUPS PR1500ELCD 1500VA/1350W arrived,
it is deadly silent even with a load of 800W (if not on battery). Most line interactive UPS are silent but transformers can be loud even on some line interactive units.

When on battery the fan curve raise with the load and the temperature but the quality YS-Tech is not that loud.

Thanks to the pure wave my AX860i stopped making that ugly noise coming from the PFC circuit when on battery.

UPS feels solid and premium, the only parts made in plastic is the front panel.
Very easy to swap the batteries, the powerpanel business edition software is amazing, there are tons of cool features for nerds and it works flawlessly on Linux

The unit is really really efficient with a powerfactor of 0.9, it converts pretty all of it's power in usable power. (APC is really behind in this)

Runtime is excellent, with a load of 200W (my PC idling with the monitor) it says 2 hours and 15 minutes. Transfer to battery is faster than average UPS with only 4ms.
Surge suppression is based on a series of MOVs for a total of 400 jouls that is more than enough for pretty every overvoltage you may have, leave alone lightning.

They did not spare with the components

It is a 230V unit but there is an equivalent for 110V, the 110V unit is a bit less powerful.

It isn't cheap, but it offers a lot more than the equivalent APC for the same money.
Old 09-21-2017
Site Founder

Thanked 1,458 Times in 902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblantipodi View Post
it is deadly silent even with a load of 800W (if not on battery). Most line interactive UPS are silent but transformers can be loud even on some line interactive units.
YAY!!!!!
sblantipodi (09-21-2017)