jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Software > General Software

General Software Troubleshooting and discussion of any computer software

Old 11-01-2016
Naughty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL View Post
You two are not paying attention. He said XP x86-64, which is based on Windows Server 2003 - it's a different thing than your typical XP and assumptions made about vanilla XP may not apply here.
Not all vulnerabilities are kernel-related.
Server 2k3 is EOL'd as well and not receiving security updates for a while now.

XP is XP, if it was Server, it would be named Server, no matter the kernel.

Did you know that Vista and Server 2008 use the exact same code base? Ditto for Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2, etc.

I stand by what I said, decisively so.
Old 11-01-2016
Flux Capacitor User

Then provide list of vulnerabilities relevant to OP.
Old 11-01-2016
ssssssmokin'

Thanked 1,355 Times in 885 Posts

That's impossible to make, there are so many, known and still unknown.

I'm with McSteel, only use it for trusted site's, use your head, use a good adblocker, firewall and maybe something like sandboxie and you should be OK.
Old 11-01-2016
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemot View Post
there is HW where it just DOES NOT FRELLING WORK.
There are other Options:

Lubuntu, Linux Mint with XFCE Desktop, Linux Lite and a whole bunch of other stuff with oldish hardware in mind...

So there absolutely is NO reason to still use XP, whatever version or for whatever reason at all!
Because Windows XP is just a very insecure thingy, that's like running around with a bullsey on your head and "pls shoot me" on your shirt (front AND back)...

And here some proof:
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/5...among-hackers/

XP, 50% of a botnet that was found, while they were just about 24% of the users using it...

Another thing:
https://www.tripwire.com/state-of-se...-ripe-botnets/

And here something in German, so you may want to use a translator:
http://levato.de/die-3-groessten-dig...ahren-in-2016/

They say that to use Windows XP is extremely careless.I'd say even reckless.

Especially since modern Browsers dropped support for Windows XP!

Here something about Firefox:
https://chuttenblog.wordpress.com/20...ws-xp-support/
With some of the vulnerabilitys they know of...

And the problem isn't that the PC gets infected and there is a virus on it!
That's the least of your problems!
The problem is that it gets owned and the PC is used to do some criminal things like hacking a bank or something like that!
When (not IF!) that happens, you are pretty damn happy when the SWAT team knocks on your door and take you in...

PS:
And Vista?! SRYSLY?!
There is absolutely NO Reason to ever think about that in this day and age. Windows 7 is superior in all regards. It's out of the Mainstream Support time frame but still inside the extended, so not that great but somewhat OKish...
The alternative would be Windows 8.1, but you have to have a processor with DEP/NX Bit support...

So for an oldish Athlon XP system, Windows 7 is the last thing you can use.
For an Athlon 64 (Socket 939, E-Step), the last 64bit Windows you can use is Windows 7, due to some shit M$ did, should be the same for the (rarish) 64bit Pentium 4 systems. But in 32bit you can also use Windows 10!

BUT!!!!
You might want to have a decent graphics chip!
So on some Intel based things (like my Celeron M430 with that great i940GML thing) you can't use 10, but 8.1 works fine on it...
And you might want to wonder why I have a Core 2 Duo T5200 or something like that in my cupboard...
Old 11-01-2016
Naughty

Quote:
What the hell are you on about? You would like a list of 0-day vulnerabilities exploitable on 2k3 kernel or in the XP x64 edition?

Would you also like detailed photographic evidence that knives can be used to stab people to death while I'm at it?

They are there. If you ever had a router that can log/dump incoming packets and did some layer 7 analysis; and/or had some activity monitoring software running on a vulnerable machine, like Sysinternals diskmon, procmon, regmon and tcpview, you'd know just how much unwanted activity happens when someone catches wind of said machine.

But hey, I gave a fair warning. I understand why you'd ask for proof, but it's out there if you wish to find it (Google to the rescue), I don't feel the need to defend my stance any further at this time.
Old 11-01-2016
Flux Capacitor User

Uhhhh, you seem to miss the point a tad.

I am not the one using XP x64 right now (and have not been for 5+ years at least FYI), OP is. If you wanted to provide evidence, it wouldn't be for me to "defend your stance" against my apparently oh so vicious and merciless attacks It would be for OP to make informed decision.

But if you'd rather get angry over simple request, who am I to forbid you from doing that?
Old 11-01-2016
Jun Fu capacitor advocate

@behemot. I did not mean for my post to come off as aggressive, but it is clear that I worded it wrong.

However, classifying me as this "type" is just as aggressive (or even more) as what I said:

Quote:
Oh I know these types, it's full of them everywhere. Upgrade is their answer to everything and if windblows would have been sold in market without electronics distribution and RCs, they would sleep in front of the foors the night before new version goes out to be the first to buy it. I did not ask for that, why should I throw working device away, because they say so?

But I somehow fail to see why everybody always has to think for myself and tell me things I have not asked for instead of responding to what I *did* ask for? If I wanted to throw it to garbage, I would have done so already. DTTO with payed AV. So, well, maybe if you don't know the answer to a question I am asking, just don't reply? Or are you reply junkies?
Firstly, I'd like you to know that that I'm not one of those hardware "junkies". Or maybe I am, getting a titan XP on monday But I don't wait outside for new hardware. But upgrade is not my answer to anything. Nor is it to most people. Automatically assuming what people are like that is not fair either. I don't upgrade for no reason, I do extensive research before buying things.

Did I tell you to upgrade your os? No. I was wondering WHY you were using XP. I know that XP is full of holes, that's why I said take it offline and use it offline. I did not know that you were using that for BOINC. But if I had I wouldn't have said that you should take it offline.

Mcsteel got it right on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSteel View Post
No point in using an AV, Win XP is a Swiss cheese full of security holes by now.
I did not tell you to throw your hardware out.
Also;
How am I thinking for you? You wanted our opinion. Any forum and everything online, always be prepared for some criticism also.

Also, do you purely use this for BOINC? Or do you use this as your daily pc as well? Because if it's purely for BOINC I personally wouldn't really care about getting an AV.

Again, Mcsteel got it correct again, use an adblocker and just be careful of what website you go on if you use this as your daily pc. And what about using a linux distro?

Quote:
How on earth will someone get a list of vulnerabilities? Vulnerabilities are discovered almost each day. Also it's impossible to provide a list of vulnerabilities, unless you were a security researcher for a big company. Not to mention how unethical that would be to just release it to the public.

Quote:

I am not the one using XP x64 right now (and have not been for 5+ years at least FYI), OP is. If you wanted to provide evidence, it wouldn't be for me to "defend your stance" against my apparently oh so vicious and merciless attacks It would be for OP to make informed decision.

But if you'd rather get angry over simple request, who am I to forbid you from doing that?
But what mcsteel said is absolutely correct. You cannot expect someone to just show every damn vulnerability. Reread your statement. Some vulnerabilities are probably not even found yet. Hell, every OS above 7 also has vulnerabilities. Some of them are simply not discovered yet.

Since everyone seemed to beat me to it, no modern browser supports XP either I'm pretty sure.
Or block some common ports. You just can't expect someone to support XP anytime soon. It's run it's time.
It appears you have a big nice high core count, a ton of ram, why not run a linux/ubuntu VM and browse off that? While the rest of your hardware is used for BOINC?

Also @Behemot on your point of do not reply.
Fair. I won't reply to your threads then suggesting an alternative for something that'll never exist. I was just providing an opinon, I though an opinon would be considered as a point of consideration to you. After all, you are the owner of the hardware, not us. You make the decisions.

Last edited by ridgid13579; 11-01-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-01-2016
Naughty

Quote:

Nothing angry about it, just straight to the point. The "what the hell" part may have set a bit of a harsh tone, but asking for public outing of 0-day exploits is really in poor taste, even as a joke.

Point is, I have seen, with my own eyes, what it means to make a machine with such a system available over the internet. It's not impossible, and a lot of my company's customers are currently running 2k3 servers in production, behind a serious security appliance like Cisco ASA. If you're gonna have it on a simple "router" like a TP-Link or even behind a modem/"router" your cable operator provided, you're in for a world of pain. Not a question of if, rather a question of when.

As for proof requests, I absolutely approve of those in general, especially on this forum which tries to be as anti-FUD as possible. But this really is common knowledge (or it should be), so I don't feel it needs to pass the same degree of scrutiny as someone saying "never use < 500W PSU for anything, ever!".
Old 11-01-2016
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
BTW yes, I even tried Vista as the first choice. Already too young OS. Could not finish the installation. Guess it has to do with that 2D 8MB video adapter…yeah I managed to run GT 610 after all, but that was AFTER the system was installed. Or maybe with that ancient nForce 3600. Or with anything else about that HW. Its 11 years old FFS.
Have you tried the obvious?!

Disable the nForce Networking thingy and put some other kind of NIC inside that is supported in modern OS.

I don't think it's the graphics chip, that simply doesn't matter. If there is no driver, than it works in VESA mode (Microsoft Basic Display Adapter), with a 'headles Server', that should be enough. And the Rage whatever isn't that great either, so nothing really lost there...

I don't have a (working) nForce Board right now, but WIndows 7 works in both 32bit and 64bit. Windows 8 and later only works in 32bit.
And for Windows 10 one should use a decent graphics thingy...
Old 11-03-2016
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariush View Post
Eset Nod32 / Endpoint Antivirus / whatever they call it these days supports Windows 2003. Some FAQ on their site Nod32 4.0 and 4.2 support 2003, don't know if later versions do or you're supposed to switch to Endpoint antivirus or something like that.

I think F-secure antivirus still supports Windows 2003 as well.
Forgot about F-Secure. Just checked their website, it's another shithole redesigned for all the brainless phonebots. After 5 minutes I found no usable information even in their so called documentation. Gonna pass Jeez this is everywhere, seems like webdesign has just returned to late 1990s.

All the new websites look like shit Randomly filled with different BS but no real HARD data anywhere! Is this how a website is supposed to look in 2016? Had a look to Bitdefender, that PoS makes my brain melt down After some time I found out their free AV not only needs at least 7, but also IE 10 Skype, somebody?

Nope, NOD32 is not supported on 2003 either. Jeez, I'll just disable most of the services and hope for the best…

ridgid13579: my bad than

McSteel: new OSes are also swiss cheese full of holes, what's the difference? old systems with hundreds of updates at least have most of them patched, plus the less ppl use them, the less interest to actually penetrate it so the remaining ones are no longer interesting for them hackers; anybody who's installing latest windblows (where M$ itself spies on the users exponentially more in each new generation) on day 0 talking about better security is just idiot IMO, that thing has hundreds of holes and M$ has no chance to win the race to fix them sooner than they somebody takes advantage of them, especially when hundreds of milions fool are eager to get hacked as soon as possible, all installing it right away; plus there are all the other compatibility issues…I'll never understand these ppl

Tags
2003, 64bit, antivirus, x86-64, xp pro