jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Software > General Software

General Software Troubleshooting and discussion of any computer software

Old 12-18-2007
1kW User

Default XP control panel woes

Got a new one here......Amd 64 Gateway had bloatware and Media center edition......formatted the hard drive a couple of months ago and did a clean install of XP Pro and all functioned flawlessly........owner called me last week because it was "going insane"...lots of horizontal lines after she turned it on.

Got it to my bench...turns out the northbridge heatsink had fallen off......soldered a new loop on for it to clip to and viola....all is well...comp runs cool and stable. EXCEPT.....

I tried to going into internet options to change the home page as requested but it won't open.......in fact none of the control functions (classic control panel in xp, icons like system, Internet options, sound, display) will allow me acess...I get an error message

"Windows cannot find 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundl32.exe.' Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To Search for a file , Click the Start button, and then click Search."

Any suggestions on a simple fix?????? I'd really rather not do a format and install as that will result in hours stuck at the owners house reinstalling her palm and printer and fax and scanned and answering hours of basic computer operation questions.....Hellllllllp..... ....
Old 12-19-2007
1kW User

No Ideas????

Ok....try from another angle.....can you load XP pro over the top without messing up everything like you used to be able to do with Win98?
Old 12-19-2007
Bake him away, toys.

Thanked 1,231 Times in 348 Posts

You could do a repair install.
Old 12-19-2007
Manic Miner

Put XP CD in optical unit.
Start->Run->cmd <Enter>
Type: expand <CD-ROM>:\i386\rundll32.ex_ %windir%\system32\rundll32.exe (<CD-ROM:> is letter of your optical unit)
Reboot.
Good to go.
Old 12-19-2007
Modding is Life

May want to do a full repair install. Just in case that isn't the only missing or curropt file on the drive. The overheating chip set might have corrupted parts of the drive.
COOLING:
| CM Eclipse | VF-900 | Antec 900 |

XATE-984 Load Tester Build
Old 12-20-2007
1kW User

One of the symptoms of infected computers. Make sure it's clean. Run AV/AS/AT etc. If it's clean run SFC. Also backup and run an offline checkdisk.

Good luck.
Old 01-18-2008
micro ATX User

Is this file even there? Would be surprised if it wasn't as a lot apps/drivers use it to run, if it's not there then copy it off the CD as suggested above or do a repair to get it back.

EDIT: The clip falling off was a problem with the Abit mobos of old, first thing I used to do was resolder the U clips using some good quality silver solder.
Old 03-12-2008
200W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp666 View Post
One of the symptoms of infected computers. Make sure it's clean. Run AV/AS/AT etc. If it's clean run SFC. Also backup and run an offline checkdisk.

Good luck.
This is true, newer infection love to lockout IE homepage section, control panel, and even occasionally run and the ability to change the desktop or access the system section.