jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  


Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 2 Days Ago
Stefan Payne Stefan Payne is offline
Flux Capacitor User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,120
Thanks: 3
Thanked 291 Times in 243 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Valdéz Guzmán View Post
thank you, do you know what other things impact psu weight?
Design of the PSU, the components on it (Transformer, Coils), Heatsinks and of course the Case...

The Cougar GX V3 is IMO relatively heavy but also has a thick, powder coated case wich is one of the best in the industry while the Bitfenix has good electrical performance but a rather basic case (=rather thin, only 'normally' painted)...
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stefan Payne For This Useful Post:
Oliver Valdéz Guzmán (2 Days Ago)
  #12  
Old 2 Days Ago
crmaris's Avatar
crmaris crmaris is offline
Cybenetics CTE
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Greece
Posts: 1,488
Thanks: 146
Thanked 456 Times in 215 Posts
Default

ah those old days, where the only thing you had to do is to see how heavy a PSU is to judge about his quality
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crmaris For This Useful Post:
Oliver Valdéz Guzmán (2 Days Ago)
  #13  
Old 2 Days Ago
Oliver Valdéz Guzmán Oliver Valdéz Guzmán is offline
micro ATX User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: MEXICO
Posts: 17
Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
Not so much material, hence heatsink density, but the size or even if they're used at all.

Some +12V FETs are so efficient, they're just bolted to busbars. Some are just mounted to the bottom of the PCB so they sink to the PSU housing. That's some significant weight savings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
Design of the PSU, the components on it (Transformer, Coils), Heatsinks and of course the Case...

The Cougar GX V3 is IMO relatively heavy but also has a thick, powder coated case wich is one of the best in the industry while the Bitfenix has good electrical performance but a rather basic case (=rather thin, only 'normally' painted)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmaris View Post
ah those old days, where the only thing you had to do is to see how heavy a PSU is to judge about his quality
Thank you guys your answers were very useful.

And does the weight of the coil/transformer matter? when it comes to quality or power capabilities?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 2 Days Ago
ehume's Avatar
ehume ehume is offline
Flux Capacitor User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,142
Thanks: 807
Thanked 99 Times in 86 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
Not so much material, hence heatsink density, but the size or even if they're used at all.

Some +12V FETs are so efficient, they're just bolted to busbars. Some are just mounted to the bottom of the PCB so they sink to the PSU housing. That's some significant weight savings.
I don't know about material/weight, but I'm sure that lack of components -- no matter how cheap -- goes to the bottom line.
__________________
open air testing rig in basement:
Core i7 8700k 5GHz Vcore = 1.37v, HT enabled; Gigabyte Z370X Aorus Gaming 7
2x8GB Corsair DPX DDR4 RAM 16-18-18-36@3200MHz Vdimm 1.35v
Intel 4600 graphics using 1GB system memory; Samsung 840 EVO 500GB
various heatsinks (depends on what I am testing ATM); PSU: Seasonic X-460FL (fanless)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 2 Days Ago
Stefan Payne Stefan Payne is offline
Flux Capacitor User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,120
Thanks: 3
Thanked 291 Times in 243 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Valdéz Guzmán View Post
And does the weight of the coil/transformer matter? when it comes to quality or power capabilities?
I have no idea.

Transformer is something about the Design and there are some different designs, some are heavier, some are lighter, some are better, some are worse. It depends on the situation.

For us as "Laymen" its not easy (or rather impossible) to determine the quality of the components, if they are needed, good or bad...
We can only take educated guesses...
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stefan Payne For This Useful Post:
Oliver Valdéz Guzmán (2 Days Ago)
  #16  
Old 2 Days Ago
Oliver Valdéz Guzmán Oliver Valdéz Guzmán is offline
micro ATX User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: MEXICO
Posts: 17
Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
I have no idea.

Transformer is something about the Design and there are some different designs, some are heavier, some are lighter, some are better, some are worse. It depends on the situation.

For us as "Laymen" its not easy (or rather impossible) to determine the quality of the components, if they are needed, good or bad...
We can only take educated guesses...
Thanks, and you think a DC-DC power supply is necessary or group regulated is fine
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 2 Days Ago
Stefan Payne Stefan Payne is offline
Flux Capacitor User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,120
Thanks: 3
Thanked 291 Times in 243 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Valdéz Guzmán View Post
Thanks, and you think a DC-DC power supply is necessary or group regulated is fine
DC-DC is necessary.


And I think we should also look at the secondary Caps on +12V and prefer units that have at least 10mF or more.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 2 Days Ago
ashiekh's Avatar
ashiekh ashiekh is offline
20W User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Grand Junction
Posts: 984
Thanks: 18
Thanked 66 Times in 63 Posts
Default

Would not a higher frequency unit need less capacitive smoothing? then again how is one to know the operating frequency?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 2 Days Ago
ashiekh's Avatar
ashiekh ashiekh is offline
20W User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Grand Junction
Posts: 984
Thanks: 18
Thanked 66 Times in 63 Posts
Default

10,000 uF is quite a lot

I keep double posting; I need some rest...

Last edited by ashiekh; 2 Days Ago at 11:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
build quality

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © JonnyGURU.com 2000 -